Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2012 3:42:53 PM EDT
Roomy contention: I MUST leave our oven door open wide after cooking so as not to waste the heat. Even though the stove/oven is NOT vented to the outside in our kitchen, because the oven is insulated heat will some how [evaporation?] disappear.

My standing: Heat doesn't disappear and the entirety of the heat will be transferred into the kitchen, albeit at a slower rate than leaving the oven door open.

Ugh. Bourbon time.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 3:44:33 PM EDT
I leave mine open for the faster transfer.

Pics of roommate?
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 3:45:55 PM EDT
All I know is this. When you leave the door open after using the oven, it heats my apartment up noticeably.

Roommate +1, Jaberie 0
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 3:47:13 PM EDT
Originally Posted By wilNva:
I leave mine open for the faster transfer.

Pics of roommate?

That makes sense. The heat will dissipate into the kitchen. The rate is the variable.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 3:47:31 PM EDT

Originally Posted By watchwatch:
All I know is this. When you leave the door open after using the oven, it heats my apartment up noticeably.

Roommate +1, Jaberie 0

Open a crack - like for broiling - not a wide open 24x30 kitchen obstacle.

Faster heat transfer for the win.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 3:49:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/4/2012 3:50:38 PM EDT by VACaver]
Opening the door will not only cool the oven quicker, but will contribute to the temp in the room.

Leaving it open a bit makes sense.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 3:52:34 PM EDT
While the OP is technically correct from an energy standpoint, the roommate is right from the standpoint of air temperature and physiological aspects.

<––- tactical fighter environmental control systems
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 3:54:09 PM EDT
What is Thermodynamics??

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 3:55:26 PM EDT
Originally Posted By entropy:
What is Thermodynamics??

Well played sir, well played.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 3:58:59 PM EDT
qdot = MCdeltaT

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:53:17 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Jaberie:
Roomy contention: I MUST leave our oven door open wide after cooking so as not to waste the heat. Even though the stove/oven is NOT vented to the outside in our kitchen, because the oven is insulated heat will some how [evaporation?] disappear.

My standing: Heat doesn't disappear and the entirety of the heat will be transferred into the kitchen, albeit at a slower rate than leaving the oven door open.

Ugh. Bourbon time.

Leave the frigging door open, it isn't that big an issue.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:56:01 PM EDT

Dude, if that's the biggest issue with your roommate...geez man.

Usually it was, "CLEAN YOUR SHIT UP! DO YOUR FUCKING DISHES! PAY THE FUCKING RENT!"

You're lucky.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:58:37 PM EDT
I thought this was an easy e's old roomate thread.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:58:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/4/2012 4:59:46 PM EDT by 1Andy2]
If you trap the heat inside the oven for a longer period, won't more of the heat escape through whatever wall it's next to than would have with the door open? If it's next to an exterior wall, might make a difference.

Whether that difference would be noticeable or not, who knows? I am not a maths expert.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:59:22 PM EDT

Originally Posted By PAEBR332:
What is Thermodynamics??

Well played sir, well played.

Thank you
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:59:59 PM EDT
OP, if that is the biggest issue you have with your roommate you need to go buy him a hooker and a hotel room for the night because you officially have one of the greatest roommates in history.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:00:17 PM EDT
Watch yer cornhole Bud.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:00:18 PM EDT

Originally Posted By RarestRX:

Dude, if that's the biggest issue with your roommate...geez man.

Usually it was, "CLEAN YOUR SHIT UP! DO YOUR FUCKING DISHES! PAY THE FUCKING RENT!"

You're lucky.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:01:04 PM EDT
If you don't notice an effect, then you really are wasting the heat. Open that door up and enjoy the warmth all at once. Why let it out slowly so as to not heat the place up in a manner that you could both enjoy?
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:07:55 PM EDT

What is Thermodynamics??

nice

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:09:46 PM EDT
Originally Posted By 1Andy2:
If you trap the heat inside the oven for a longer period, won't more of the heat escape through whatever wall it's next to than would have with the door open? If it's next to an exterior wall, might make a difference.

Whether that difference would be noticeable or not, who knows? I am not a maths expert.

The exterior wall scenario is the only case where it might make sense to leave the door open. Just leave it open a crack, otherwise the risk of tripping someone isn't worth any energy savings.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:25:33 PM EDT
an ice cube radiates heat.

but not in a way that is physiologically useful for humans.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:28:38 PM EDT

Ugh. Bourbon time.

So are you proposing that the rate of transfer is meaningless or just that it is meaningless to you.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:29:59 PM EDT
My stove has a small vent that comes up threw the rear burner from the oven.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:39:35 PM EDT
LISA GET IN HERE!

In this house we obey the laws of THERMODYNAMICS!
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:40:55 PM EDT
Where did the OP go
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:42:24 PM EDT
Originally Posted By eswift:
LISA GET IN HERE!

Post of the year so far.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:44:38 PM EDT
What is Thermodynamics??

Isn't that what Al Gore invented?
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:48:02 PM EDT
What is Thermodynamics??

I don't know but I bet Magpul has a vid

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:49:03 PM EDT
Does your oven have dremel tool fluting?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:56:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/4/2012 5:58:08 PM EDT by WildApple]
If you leave the oven door closed after using it, it will provide a small amount of heat around the oven for a long time.

If you leave the oven door open after using it, it will provide a large rush of heat throughout the apartment.

Do you sleep near the oven? If yes, close it after use......If not, leave it open.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:14:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/5/2012 4:31:21 AM EDT by mnvwguy02]

Ugh. Bourbon time.

OP, you are correct that the heat energy rate transfer is the only thing that changes.

If the rate of heat energy out of the closed oven is slower than the apartment loses heat to the outside you will not notice a rise in the apartment room temperature, but the apartment will require the apartment heater provide less heat energy in proportion to the heat being supplied by the oven. If the apartment loses heat slower than the closed oven then the room temperature will rise.

If you open the door, the heat transfer rate increases and wil likely cause a noticeable but temporary rise in the apartment air temperature. The oven will cool to room tempeature much more quickly than when the door is closed.

In either scenario, the amount of heat transfered is the same for a given oven temperature (all else being equal). The difference is the rate of transfer.

ETA: OP, this is a simple First Law of Themodynamics question; energy is not created or destroyed, the change in the internal energy of a system is equal to the amount of heat supplied to the system, minus the amount of work performed by the system on its surroundings. The rate of the work becomes a question of "power", but that is for another thread.

I prefer opening the door a crack, for faster transfer and the brief rise in room temperature.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:25:22 PM EDT

LISA GET IN HERE!

Bravo sir! If you could find that clip on youtube I would be forever grateful.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:29:41 PM EDT
Originally Posted By killingmachine123:

LISA GET IN HERE!

LAZY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xy0UBpagsu8
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:29:42 PM EDT
You're right, you should seal off all the heat vents in the apartment too. The heat will slowly transfer from the ducts through the floor/wall into the room and you will get the same benefit.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:34:29 PM EDT
Does your roommate have a vagina?
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:36:46 PM EDT

Originally Posted By junkxp:
Originally Posted By killingmachine123:

LISA GET IN HERE!

LAZY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xy0UBpagsu8

Thanks a ton! I had searched for it before, but could never find it.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:37:12 PM EDT

Originally Posted By odfox:
You're right, you should seal off all the heat vents in the apartment too. The heat will slowly transfer from the ducts through the floor/wall into the room and you will get the same benefit.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:37:33 PM EDT
this thread is bringing back nightmares from studying this shit in college
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:49:49 PM EDT
Damn this has been fun.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:51:36 PM EDT
Thermo~Dynamics would be a kick ass name for a company that makes tactical flannel gear.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:29:36 PM EDT
the heat gained from the oven over the time it takes to equalize to room temp. with the door closed is less than the amount of heat lost (from the house) over the same interval.

OR no noticeable change or this time of year cooler temp inside house.

The heat gained from opening the door for a short time is greater than what is lost over the same time interval from the house. OR room gets warmer.

At least how i understand it
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 3:40:12 PM EDT
Let throw another variable out..

When you open the door open wider - the oven light comes on... So is the heat gained 'free', or are the savings used up by the electricity lighting the bulb..

B
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:42:05 PM EDT

Originally Posted By thatguy:
Let throw another variable out..

When you open the door open wider - the oven light comes on... So is the heat gained 'free', or are the savings used up by the electricity lighting the bulb..

B

I've got to believe it would cost more in gas to heat the room up that much in a short period of time given the kw/hr rate and the size of that bulb.
Top Top