Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 6/4/2003 11:30:45 AM EDT
About a year ago, I built a dual Pentium III 1GHz workstation to add to my home network. I have GlobalWin CakII-38 cooling units on the processors, and they're beginning to grate on my nerves. The Delta 38cfm fans on those things are WAY too loud. Aside from watercooling, or other alternative methods of heat dissipation, do any of you know of a decent heatsink/fan unit of comparable performance to the GlobalWin CakII-38 that isn't hard on the ears? I have Thermaltake Golden Orbs on my dual Celeron machine, and while those aren't exactly quiet, I don't consider the noise to be overly offensive ... so anything either equal to or less than that sound level would be ideal here. Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 7:22:52 AM EDT
Watercooling really isn't that bad. I just set up a system a few months ago with a White Whater CPU block, Swiftech GPU block, and an Eheim pump w/ external res. So far no probs running 24/7, and with the intake fan (120mm panaflo) volted down it's near silent. BUT, if you don't want to go that route...(believe me, I understand. It cost me over $300 bucks to go to near silence!) Look into the Zalman series of sinks. They're generally designed to be efficient without direct attachment of fans, depending on the CPU. Since we're talking about a PIII (not oc'd I hope), it should be ok. Pop one on each processor, and a Zalman heat pipe on the GPU and chipset (if they both have fan based cooling setups), and so long as you have good airflow it'll work and the lack of fans will definitely affect overall noise output.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 11:55:28 AM EDT
I there anyway you can rig up a larger fan, like an 80mm to each or both heatsink? A larger fan will push the same amount of air but move much slower. Then the sound would be quieter and lower pitch. Those black label deltas really scream.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 7:36:36 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 8:00:19 AM EDT
Regarding mounting an 80mm to a heatsink, they make an 80-60mm adapter, and I think I saw it either on Newegg's or Tigerdirect's website.
Top Top