Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/23/2006 5:44:53 PM EDT
and he is kicking my ass.

He got in the attic, got into a wall and popped out in the basement. He seems intent on staying.

I am not actually living at my house right now, which is making this a bit more complicated. On the plus side, I am not lying awake nights waiting for him to pounce on my face or some such thing. On the minus side, I have taken to walking through my basement slicing the pie and peering into the floor joists overhead with the expectation of being assaulted by a rabid screeching rodent.

I walked into the house Saturday afternoon and saw a pile of wood shavings strewn about the door that leads to the basement. A closer look revealed a half moon shape carved into the bottom of the door. I opened the door to see lots more mess on the steps and serious wood removal all along the bottom of the door, culminating in this hole that I am quite sure the little bastard could crawl through.

So, on the plus side, he is in the basement and not lying on my couch.

I went down and we introduced ourselves in the second room in, which is the utility room. I had a serious bout of tourette's, and he jumped off a shelf, onto the furnace boiler, and crawled into the fresh air bell on the exaust vent, and ran into the chimney.

The chimney is capped with wire mesh, so even if Rocky (I've named him) wanted to climb the forty feet to the top, he is coming back to the basement. We've played this game three times now, as I bring a newer, better trap and ever more temting baits. I walk into the room, he jumps for the vent pipe.

Today I bought some .22 snake shot after I baited the new trap and beat on the vent pipe out of frustration. I went back after supper and stood there for an hour waiting for him to show himself. Never happened.

I need to get this little punk out of my house, soon.
Should I resort to airsoft?
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:46:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Ever see the movie... Mousehunt?  
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:49:03 PM EDT
[#2]
So you're saying I should just torch the house now.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:49:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Just break out the AR 10, that'll teach him!
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:51:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I had a squirrel get in to where I work.

I had a live trap on hand, and sunflower seeds.

He was used to eating sunflower seeds at a bird feeder, so he took the bait.

Any idea what yours is eating?

Should I start telling the story of when I was catching squirrels in the live trap and
throwing them into the upstair's neighbors appartment when they weren't home?
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:51:59 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Just break out the AR 10, that'll teach him!

+1

And post pics!
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:52:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Draw down !!
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:53:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Wait, he is in the furnace chimney?

Smoke the bastard out.
Turn the furnace on, and he will croak of carbon monoxide/dioxide poisoning.

Or fill the chimney up with propane and light a match.  
You might send him into the next county, but at least he will be out of your hair.

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:55:47 PM EDT
[#8]
12ga and finish it
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:58:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:58:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Walmart BB gun...
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:59:19 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

So, on the plus side, he is in the basement and not lying on my couch.

A few years ago, my dad got home from work and walked into the living room. When he got there, he found a squirrel sitting on our couch like it was nothing. He chased it out the door and we've never seen it since. We never did find ANY signs of entry at all (or any other damage). I honestly have no idea how it got in our house.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:00:30 PM EDT
[#12]
I am warming up to the propane idea...

Sadly, the AR-10 is a bit much for this job. The only good thing I see coming from this is; now I know why I could use a .22 revolver.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:01:23 PM EDT
[#13]
oh that's always a fun couple of days when they get in!!!

all i can say my friend is raise the black flag, spit on your hands, strap on your explosive packed vest and declare gihad.

i just do the pellet gun thing- works
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:01:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Make sure you don't wound him.  Nothing worse than having to go into the bush after a wounded squirrel.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:02:33 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Make sure you don't wound him.  Nothing worse than having to go into the bush after a wounded squirrel.

or wounding one and then having it die in your suspended ceiling and not finding him until the smell and blowflies alert you to his position- take my word for it
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:02:57 PM EDT
[#16]
havahart trap w/peanut butter
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:09:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Things you should know,,

1- Its a gloryfied rat..
2- More likely its a female and it already had babies in your house.
3- They love eating the insulation off your house wires.
4- It also brought fleas in your house.
5- You should be smelling the odor from its droppings
6- Remember that insulation you think you had in your walls.. Think again.
7- If your dry dog food is disappearing . Don't blame the dog. Its your new insulation..
8- More about #7. That dog food is going to be noticeable by summer.

Don't screw around..

Nuke it from orbit..
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:52:20 PM EDT
[#18]
One of the local talk show guys has sponsored air cleaning devices in the past.  He was on the air the other day and mentioned he had a rat die in his house, so he installed another couple of air cleaners and then a whole bunch more from friends.   Now he has 30 dead squirrels, they all died of ozone poisoning.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:06:00 PM EDT
[#19]
"SQUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUIRREL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:10:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Kill him brother, kill him NOW!!!

ETA:  Use the Airsoft, it makes no noise.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:15:47 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Kill him brother, kill him NOW!!!

ETA:  Use the Airsoft, it makes no noise.

Airsoft will not be enough to kill a squirrel. You need at least a good bb gun.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:15:52 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
"SQUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUIRREL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Link Posted: 1/24/2006 2:47:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Tell the brother in Law to move out
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 3:38:09 AM EDT
[#24]
+1 mentioned above.

Rat trap + peanut butter = Problem solved

(I think marshmellows and honey work good too).
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:03:35 AM EDT
[#25]
I had one die in my attict.  In the summer.  It really stunk.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:08:55 AM EDT
[#26]
I have fought this battle with 2 families of squirrels over the past 3 years. It has already nested and it is more than 1 squirrel. The babies have already been born and will remain silent until later. The mom will never leave the babies so if you drive her out, she will try with all her wits to get back to them. If not, they die and your house reeks. You are screwed just like I was. I drove them out in the spring with Fox urine. Squirrels hate/fear foxes, and the scent of the urine makes them run away.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 5:06:05 AM EDT
[#27]
You should have bagged him when you had the chance at long range before he enveloped your encampment, at least thats what the survivalists would tell you. Now you have no choice, you need to channel him into a ring of claymores and, if that fails, be prepared to use small arms fire and hand to hand combat. I learned this first hand, lost a whole platoon of Seals in that one..........grassy knoll......polka dot dress......
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 5:12:47 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 5:18:23 AM EDT
[#29]
That's ain't nothin'.  We had a flying squirrel in our house once.  Not sure how it got in.  We eventually trapped it in a corner and caught it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 5:24:31 AM EDT
[#30]
Squirrels are nothing. I had a goose trapped inside my house once...
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 5:41:47 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
That's ain't nothin'.  We had a flying squirrel in our house once.  Not sure how it got in.  We eventually trapped it in a corner and caught it.

That is quite a feat for Ohio...  
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 5:58:27 AM EDT
[#32]
Tannerite and a 22
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 5:59:14 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Squirrels are nothing. I had a goose trapped inside my house once...

Had a bat get in one time (figured it was through the HW vent) - just sittin there watching TV when HOLY SHEEEET THIS BAT DIVES AT MY HEAD

Fucker was flying all around the house and there I am, in the living room, with a tennis racket, waiting for his next pass at me...

Finally got him isolated in the porch and broke in from the outside to let him out.

Honest to Pete, my pulse must have been 500...

Link Posted: 1/24/2006 6:02:29 AM EDT
[#34]
a couple weeks ago i got a maintaince call for a squirrell trapped in an apartment. it was trapped in the back bedroom, so i wanted to first try and catch it, and not let it out in the other rooms where it  could end up anywhere. after 20 minutes of that (im sure you know by now that it didnt work, but he DID no longer have a tail ) i decided to try and chase him out. closed off all the other rooms and only left hte front door open. he ran right to the front door, looked out, then decided to suicide rush me. ran right at me. i was still in the hallway, and i gave it one good kick and it flew about 15 yards out the door and ran off. FUN NIGHT of work.

it was an occopuied unit so i didnt get to try and shoot it. if it was my house the pellet gun would have got him in 5 minutes.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 6:09:49 AM EDT
[#35]
I suggest you hunt it down with a BB gun.  Better yet a beagle or something that will tear it up.

Max
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 6:09:58 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 11:56:37 AM EDT
[#37]
Check your homeowners insurance policy. Most do not cover any damage that is done by animals. Example: squirrel eats insulation off wiring in your attic, house burns down, insurance comany proves damage from animal, no payment. They must be gotten rid of. If they are in your house, they will probably have to be killed. I had some in my attic and I put new 3/4 inch plywood over the entrance hole. It took one day for the squirrel to chew through the new plywood. I shot the ones outside the house with 22 CBs, and trapped the ones in my attic with rat traps and peanut butter. Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 11:59:52 AM EDT
[#38]
Tractor Supply sells the live traps, and usually peanut butter will get them.  They do love pumpkin seeds also.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 12:01:18 PM EDT
[#39]

Link Posted: 1/24/2006 12:02:49 PM EDT
[#40]
I had one fall down my chimney and crawled out of a small hole at the bottom. Son of a bitch tore up my room in my basement and shit all over my keyboard.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:29:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Really, the havahart trap is the best. Never miss.  Then if you want revenge, you can just torment the little rat a few hours before letting him go..
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:33:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:44:24 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Honest to Pete, my pulse must have been 500...

Geez, they aren't dangerous, sissy.

Here is the complete list of animals we've had in my parents' house (before I moved to go to college five years ago):

1 hummingbird
1 flying squirrel
2 bats
1 raccoon

We also had an opposum, but he was our pet so he lived there.

The bats were the coolest.  We caught one of them and held it with gloves.  They have very soft fur, like a chinchilla.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 2:03:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Had to do this last year. found 4 squirels total in the house. Got the mom and drove about 15 miles out so it could not find its way back. Caught the rest in the attic with the havaheart traps. The wife forced me to drive back out to the same place each time so we didn't seperate the family. Sucked big time. We used actuall walnuts and stuff with the shell on as bait.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 2:04:45 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Check your homeowners insurance policy. Most do not cover any damage that is done by animals. Example: squirrel eats insulation off wiring in your attic, house burns down, insurance comany proves damage from animal, no payment. They must be gotten rid of. If they are in your house, they will probably have to be killed. I had some in my attic and I put new 3/4 inch plywood over the entrance hole. It took one day for the squirrel to chew through the new plywood. I shot the ones outside the house with 22 CBs, and trapped the ones in my attic with rat traps and peanut butter. Good luck.

These things are what homeowners policies are designed to cover.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 2:15:10 PM EDT
[#46]

What about trying one of those big rat traps?  The ones that look like a giant mouse trap. Just load it with a peanut or something.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 2:19:07 PM EDT
[#47]
What did it taste like?
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 2:23:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Dont let the little pest play with your nuts,or he'll never leave.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 3:32:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Day four, and I am losing ground.

I set a bigger live trap last night, and baited it with a half ear of corn, a third of an apple, and a half a can of dry roasted peanuts. I almost felt sorry for the little plague carrier.

I went back today, and the apple was gone, but the trap was not sprung. Pissing me off!!!!

I am done with the live traps. I am calling a trapper I know and have high hopes that I will soon see two halves of a rodent plopped on the floor. I'd use poison, but I can just see the little bastard crawling into a wall and chuckling at me with his last breath.

I talked to my insurance agent, figuring he had heard similar stories to mine over the years. The first thing out of his mouth was "There is a rodent exclusion on your policy. Any damage you incur will not be covered. Do not screw around. Get rid of the squirrel NOW!"

He is a good friend of mine, so the coverage thing was no bullshit. If Rocky burns the place down, it is on my dime.

I also learned that squirrels do not birth in Winter, that is a Sring thing. So you guys who think I have a ready-made family hanging at my place, it hasn't come to that yet.  
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 3:56:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Get/borrow a cat. Not a kitten, an adult That rat will be a puked-up pile of guts on the kitchen floor in no time.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top