Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/19/2009 4:30:23 PM EDT
I think I went over the line today.  8 miles up and down hills with a 50 pound ruck.  

Hell, I am Air Force, we don't really do much rucking.  My feet are sore as hell and I have a few blisters.  I am willing to bet my legs will hurt like a SOB tomorrow too.  I am getting too old for this crap.  

Anyone else have some good sayings that relate to going over the limit?  Never go full retard is the default one.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 4:31:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Hold your horses

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 4:32:17 PM EDT
[#2]
dammit!

IANGFR

(In after never go full retard)

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 4:37:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Never Fo.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 4:39:43 PM EDT
[#4]

Don't be an Obama.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 4:40:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 4:45:18 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Do you have a professional need to do that kind of thing? Is it a personal desire to do it? Either way their is nothing wrong with it, but if you aren't used to it then you should work up to it.

Also remember, that in the Army you do a 20K ruck quarterly (or was it semi annually?). It never seemed like a big deal at Bragg, but it was a mother during a Korean Summer.
Yeah, the school I am in right now has us doing 3 or more ruck marches for time.  They aren't long distance, but they have some really nasty hills.  

We(friends and I down here) have been doing quite a bit of hiking in our off time, but it isn't the same until you put some weight on you.  We are tying to build up our endurance and then hit the steep hills later.

This kind of stuff reminds me why I joined the AF in the first place.  

ETA:

I would never mess with those SNCO's.  Anyone who could make a 20+ year career in the infantry is a bad sombitch.  Most of them are as tough as leather and can still run like the wind.  

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 4:46:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Time wounds all heels.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 4:50:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I think I went over the line today.  8 miles up and down hills with a 50 pound ruck.  

Hell, I am Air Force, we don't really do much rucking.  My feet are sore as hell and I have a few blisters.  I am willing to bet my legs will hurt like a SOB tomorrow too.  I am getting too old for this crap.  

Anyone else have some good sayings that relate to going over the limit?  Never go full retard is the default one.  

Were your boots well broken in beforehand?  I did 23 miles in the mountains today w/ a 25lb pack, no blisters.  Good, broken in boots with good hiking socks will keep the blisters away.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 4:57:33 PM EDT
[#9]
there are numerous tricks to help prevent blisters too-nylon dress socks, deodorant, etc. I am sure there are plenty of people on here who knows these tricks and more
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:10:44 PM EDT
[#10]
The boots are very broken in.  They are just the nasty issue desert boots that tend to rub me raw right where they break/crease behind the toe when you walk.  

I was only wearing one pair of socks too.
One of my classmates down here who is prior Army, said they used to do an annual 25/25.  25 miles with 25 lbs or 25% of your body weight.  I can't remember which one he said it was.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:10:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
there are numerous tricks to help prevent blisters too-nylon dress socks, deodorant, etc. I am sure there are plenty of people on here who knows these tricks and more

Just walk until you stop getting blisters.  Either you're callused sufficiently, or you hit bone...
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:12:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The boots are very broken in.  They are just the nasty issue desert boots that tend to rub me raw right where they break/crease behind the toe when you walk.  

Everyone has their own pet pair of boots so you'll get a bunch of different recommendations for best boots.  As SF, do you have to wear ABU boots, or can you wear Army Tan ones?
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:15:41 PM EDT
[#13]
The one I always use is "There's a fine line between hard core and ignorance".
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:20:11 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Everyone has their own pet pair of boots so you'll get a bunch of different recommendations for best boots.  As SF, do you have to wear ABU boots, or can you wear Army Tan ones?

Either one is authorized.  I only have tan one right now.  

I keep hearing rumblings they are going to phase out the nasty green ones.  They turn some very interesting colors with heavy use and the poor maintainers ruin them in about a week with all the nasty crap they get on them.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:24:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Also known as smurf boots....

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:33:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Don't let your dingle dangle in the dirt.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top