Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/21/2005 4:12:31 PM EDT
All those people that held out for no less than $1200 bucks are gonna be lucky if they can get back their investment in a couple of days.

I see the asking prices are starting to drop like rocks.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:14:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I hear they jam and crash even worse than the original Xbox.  There is already a lawsuit about them releasing it before it was ready.

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:14:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I was fortunate enough to get one, at cost, from a wonderful member here.

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:18:06 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I hear they jam and crash even worse than the original Xbox.  There is already a lawsuit about them releasing it before it was ready.

I don't think that there is a law against releasing something that is not ready. Microsoft does that all the time But seriously, I think I know what you are talking about, it has to do with the power supply burning down a house.

I can't comment on the crashing  as I don't own one yet. I got one for someone else who wanted to pay a couple hundred bucks more to have it in time for christmas, mine is still on pre-order from EB games and god knows when that will come in.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:19:46 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't think that there is a law against releasing something that is not ready. Microsoft does that all the time But seriously, I think I know what you are talking about, it has to do with the power supply burning down a house.

I can't comment on the crashing  as I don't own one yet. I got one for someone else who wanted to pay a couple hundred bucks more to have it in time for christmas, mine is still on pre-order from EB games and god knows when that will come in.

Yeah, good point...they do it a lot.

Check this out:

www.xbox360lawsuit.com
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:21:36 PM EDT
[#5]
My neighbor just got one - about $400.

It's the model with the hard-drive installed.  I'm not a gamer, but it looks really good.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:32:16 PM EDT
[#6]
The Xbox 360 will be the next Dreamcast.  PS3 owners will laugh at all the idiots who bought the Xbox 360 when it flops.

(I still want one anyway )
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:35:09 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

It does not appear that way there seem to be few real problems, There were some initial reports of problems in the press that seem to have been reporters reporting in a circle. There was some initial bloging about problems that dried up in about 4 days indicating it was more likely Internet cross babble than real problems.

1 GUY HAS FILED A SUIT.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:35:29 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The Xbox 360 will be the next Dreamcast.  PS3 owners will laugh at all the idiots who bought the Xbox 360 when it flops.

Ps3 WILL blow it out of the water.

If you havn't seen the MGS4 trailer, d/l it now. Makes Xbox360 look like Sega Saturn.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:42:18 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you havn't seen the MGS4 trailer, d/l it now. Makes Xbox360 look like Sega Saturn.

hate to burst your bubble chief, but that is CG footage, not In game playable.  Thats what wrong.  There is no playable stuff being shown yet for the PS3.  Until I see something playable demo, I won't be impressed.  I have a 360 and I love it.  I've seen the playable demo of Gears of War and its just amazing.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:47:19 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

hate to burst your bubble chief, but that is CG footage, not In game playable.  Thats what wrong.  There is no playable stuff being shown yet for the PS3.  Until I see something playable demo, I won't be impressed.  I have a 360 and I love it.  I've seen the playable demo of Gears of War and its just amazing.

+1

PS3 isnt blowing anything out of the water.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:56:19 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

+1

Yes it will… your wallet
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:56:25 PM EDT
[#12]
For those who want one Best Buy's got some more in stock for sale Thursday. Mention the Xbox 360 as you enter the store and they'll show you to them. This is to prevent riots like on Black Friday.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:16:22 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

I disagree with this. PS3 has all the best titles going for it, Metal Gear Solid, Socom online, there will most likely be a Medal Of Honor game for it as well. MGS alone is the reason I'll buy one. I want a 360 but I still think PS3 will kick 360's ass when it comes to game selection.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:20:42 PM EDT
[#14]
NERDS

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:20:54 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

I disagree with this. PS3 has all the best titles going for it, Metal Gear Solid, Socom online, there will most likely be a Medal Of Honor game for it as well. MGS alone is the reason I'll buy one. I want a 360 but I still think PS3 will kick 360's ass when it comes to game selection.

Disagree all you want, doesnt make what I said less true.

With the type of competition that is going on between these companies, the only people who are going to win is the consumer.  All three consoles are going to be very evenly matched hardware wise, all will have their own exellent exlusive titles, and all have their own seperate unique features.

I, for one, will own every next gen system.  To say that one will blow another out of the water is just plain idiocy.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:21:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Xbox 360
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:22:35 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

*cough*GRAN TURISMO*cough*
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:23:25 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

*cough*GRAN TURISMO is the most boring racing game ever created, and real men play need for speed*cough*

fixed
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:26:57 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

*cough*GRAN TURISMO is the most boring racing game ever created, and real men play need for speed*cough*

fixed

Yes, because real men don't want cars that have ungodly horsepower and handle the same as their real-world counterparts.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:28:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Video games,huh? I think I played Pong once or maybe it was Pacman. Not my bag.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:28:53 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Yes, because real men don't want cars that have ungodly horsepower and handle the same as their real-world counterparts.

I think they both suck....so.....
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:29:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Who Cares?  That is unless you have kids.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:31:26 PM EDT
[#23]
My nephew got one we played on it right after they first came out. There was no run on them at athe PX.

Call of Duty 2 was the game of the weekend. No problems, ran well, for hours on end, and was awesome. Great graphic, took him, my niece, my Brother and myself a couple hours to make our way through it.

Then we started all over again.

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:34:06 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
My nephew got one we played on it right after they first came out. There was no run on them at athe PX.

Call of Duty 2 was the game of the weekend. No problems, ran well, for hours on end, and was awesome. Great graphic, took him, my niece, my Brother and myself a couple hours to make our way through it.

Then we started all over again.

yup COD2 is sweet game
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:35:47 PM EDT
[#25]
I built my kids  a AMD 64 3000/GF 6600GT computer for around $500 for Christmas.

I have been testing (secretly playing BF2) and I will take it anyday over a XBOX

FREE
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:20:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Xbox  has alot more online games
I hope sony gets their azz in gear
I mean pretty much SOCOM is about it for PS online
that said  i just play friends machines  I have not owned a machine since the PS-1
before that had not had anything since the orginal  nintendo  just not much of a gamer
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:25:16 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Video games,huh? I think I played Pong once or maybe it was Pacman. Not my bag.

They have that new Atari 40? system out and it rocks!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:27:45 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Xbox  has alot more online games
I hope sony gets their azz in gear
I mean pretty much SOCOM is about it for PS online
that said  i just play friends machines  I have not owned a machine since the PS-1
before that had not had anything since the orginal  nintendo  just not much of a gamer

I haven't owned one since NES!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:40:31 PM EDT
[#29]
I love all this sensationalism in regards to the Xbox360 crashing like mad and how the original Xbox had the same problems. Fact is, the PS2 had a higher fault rate then both of them. Its like watching a game of Lemmings play itself out, except I can't watch some of you die.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:44:35 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
All those people that held out for no less than $1200 bucks are gonna be lucky if they can get back their investment in a couple of days.

I see the asking prices are starting to drop like rocks.

Microsoft pulled a little stunt with their customers...

They released a few, people went go-go-ga-ga, and now they've got enough inventory to flood the market just after Christmas...

Just wait and see...
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:54:29 PM EDT
[#31]
They are starting to pop up already.  I ordered one from circuit city this morning and they sent the fedex tracking number a couple of hrs later.  If you are looking for one, here's a nice tool to help you out.  Walmart and Circuit City have had them online the last couple of days, although Walmart only had a $1K bundle with a bunch of crap you don't want like a surround sound system.  I was able to select the "bundle" from Circuit city and delete the game and memory card I didn't want, leaving me with the system and extra controller.  Happy hunting, check in the morning around 8 or 9.

xbox.clambert.org/
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:56:45 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

LMAO, that isn't ingame footage
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:58:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Well 3 months from now they will be in the Pawnshop
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:06:04 PM EDT
[#34]
It is nothing a computer can't do better.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:47:20 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Well 3 months from now they will be in the Pawnshop

yep waiting til feb or so Ill burn some tax refund on one
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:52:09 PM EDT
[#36]
I have an XBox that I got for some Christmas, and I think I may have played a total of 4 hours on it.  Needless to say, the 360 holds no particular charm for me.

Woody
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:00:03 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I have an XBox that I got for some Christmas, and I think I may have played a total of 4 hours on it.  Needless to say, the 360 holds no particular charm for me.

Woody

Send it over, I'll take it.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:02:29 PM EDT
[#38]
I still play on my Original Playstation.
i also still have a Sega Genisis.
Had a PS2 when they first came out but some one broke into my house and liberated it from me along with a tools box,cordless drill and a broken VCR
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:40:49 PM EDT
[#39]

That's a bunch of horse poo...

For the money, no modern PC can touch what the 360 can do. If you spent $1500 on loaded system the 360 would still be able to best it.

3 dual core processors running at 3 ghz each, 1 gpu with 12 more pipelines than ATI's yet to be released ass stomping video card, and a shitload of bandwith between all the major components for $400 bucks. If you were to slap in a PCI Express port into the 360, you would be bottlnecking its gpu. The 360 has new tech that wont make its way to video cards untill q3 or q4 of next year.

I play both pc and consoles, and I am tired of hearing this BS about PCs being able to do everything a console can do, but better... As a rule of thumb, at the next generation of console launches, PCs are behind on the tech tree in comparison. They certaintly can't match either the specs of the 360 or the ps3 and won't be able to untill late next year provided you have the cash to spend on the latest rig.

Anyone who plays games and who appreciates high quality graphics shouldn't shortchange the ability of the 360.

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:55:33 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

That's a bunch of horse poo...

For the money, no modern PC can touch what the 360 can do. If you spent $1500 on loaded system the 360 would still be able to best it.

3 dual core processors running at 3 ghz each, 1 gpu with 12 more pipelines than ATI's yet to be released ass stomping video card, and a shitload of bandwith between all the major components for $400 bucks. If you were to slap in a PCI Express port into the 360, you would be bottlnecking its gpu. The 360 has new tech that wont make its way to video cards untill q3 or q4 of next year.

I play both pc and consoles, and I am tired of hearing this BS about PCs being able to do everything a console can do, but better... As a rule of thumb, at the next generation of console launches, PCs are behind on the tech tree in comparison. They certaintly can't match either the specs of the 360 or the ps3 and won't be able to untill late next year provided you have the cash to spend on the latest rig.

Anyone who plays games and who appreciates high quality graphics shouldn't shortchange the ability of the 360.

And when you finish that stunning game...nothing.  Pc Games...mods, user created levels/maps, epansion pack, etc....  much more bang for the buck gaming wise.  Year or two you won't be playing the same games on your Xbox because they'll be stale while PC game's like Counter Strike 1.6 will STILL be gong strong and that game is 6+ years old.  Consoles have no staying power.  
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:01:31 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It does not appear that way there seem to be few real problems, There were some initial reports of problems in the press that seem to have been reporters reporting in a circle. There was some initial bloging about problems that dried up in about 4 days indicating it was more likely Internet cross babble than real problems.

1 GUY HAS FILED A SUIT.

I know 1 guy has filed a suit.  That's why I said there was already A lawsuit.

As far as the number of real problems goes the last estimate I saw was 20% defect rate.  I don't remember where I read it and I will post it if I find it again.  That’s great if you’re in the 80% that got a working one but I already had an original Xbox prone to jamming so I don’t think I want to take those odds unless they let me pay 80% of the price.

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:14:45 AM EDT
[#42]
If sony launches the PS3 with the actual specs it touted at E3, then it will have a considerable edge on the Xbox 360 performance wise.  One thing everyone needs to understand too is these are the first console systems to have multi-core processors.  The developers are having to adjust to program for this, John Carmack was even said at the last Quakecon that we may not see development that realizes the full potential of multi-core processors until the next generation of consoles after PS3 and Xbox 360.

In the end, I think most gamers care about gameplay, not pixel counts.  PCs will always be able to out-perform consoles if you have the money, but still console gaming has way more development then PC gaming does, which sucks for us PC people.

Also look at the PS2 and Xbox sales numbers.  The Xbox cleary has the hardware edge, but the PS2 outsold it so much it is'nt even funny.  The reason is, Sony has done a real good job getting good development for its system.  Sony has a lot of games that are just plain good, and are exclusive to Sony.

I think Microsoft has a good plan, and we will see out it pans out.  The competition is good, because it pushes everyone to innovate, so in the end it is better for us.  Microsoft HAS to do something about the Japanese market though, they are really dead in the water there, I think if they can get more exclusive deals like Halo and the like, then they will do fine.

I'de like to have both systems, but I will probably just wait for the PS3.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:55:30 AM EDT
[#43]

And when you finish that stunning game...nothing. Pc Games...mods, user created levels/maps, epansion pack, etc.... much more bang for the buck gaming wise. Year or two you won't be playing the same games on your Xbox because they'll be stale while PC game's like Counter Strike 1.6 will STILL be gong strong and that game is 6+ years old. Consoles have no staying power.

I have copies of half life 2, battlefield 2, doom, F.E.A.R, and DOD, Darwinia, FarCry, ect.
I am fully aware of mods... Heck I even jump into Hammer once in a while to make my own rudimentary maps and am gleefully awaiting the zombie simulator "No More Room in Hell"

BUT... each platform is going to have stunning games the other won't. Anywho, a well made game for PC or console will have a ton of replay value. In your example you mention counter strike. It may be a Mod of Half Life and Half Life 2, but it is its own game, The play mechanics, the design, the implementation of the game, ect are not related to half life 2 other than the engine. It's 6 years old beacause it plays great, as it has a great deal of replay value. Any well made game can have the staying power of counter strike, mod or not. Mods are not a prerequsite for a game to have replay value, and as of late... I have been dissapointed in the Half Life 2 modding community. The only worthwhile mods had to be purchased (DOD and Darwinia) and stuff with real potential still haven't been released.

The PC vs. Console debate is only for those who, for whatever reason, don't have both.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:05:02 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
I have been dissapointed in the Half Life 2 modding community. The only worthwhile mods had to be purchased (DOD and Darwinia) and stuff with real potential still haven't been released.

Man I hear ya.  I followed that game for years waiting for it to come out.  The MP was a huge dissapointment, and I've all but given up hope about the mod community with it.

Quoted:
The PC vs. Console debate is only for those who, for whatever reason, don't have both.

Well said.  I'm a gamer, and I play games on everything from consoles, handhelds, to PCs ... makes no sense to just pick one.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:08:05 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, good point...they do it a lot.

Check this out:

www.xbox360lawsuit.com

Remember true beta testing?  It used to be we could volunteer to help work the bugs out before full release.  Now we pay hundreds of dollars to be part of the program.  Then we discover that they never fix the bugs in OUR version, it gets fixed in the next "upgrade", and that will cost you more money.

If it isn't illegal it damn sure ought to be.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:21:42 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Remember true beta testing?  It used to be we could volunteer to help work the bugs out before full release.  Now we pay hundreds of dollars to be part of the program.  Then we discover that they never fix the bugs in OUR version, it gets fixed in the next "upgrade", and that will cost you more money.

If it isn't illegal it damn sure ought to be.

I paid high four figures to beta test a motorcycle one time lol...
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:56:31 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

1 GUY HAS FILED A SUIT.

As far as the number of real problems goes the last estimate I saw was 20% defect rate.  I don't remember where I read it and I will post it if I find it again.  That’s great if you’re in the 80% that got a working one but I already had an original Xbox prone to jamming so I don’t think I want to take those odds unless they let me pay 80% of the price.

20% is bullshit.

I am not surprised you cannot find the source of the information because whoever put that number out was lying like a rug. There was a rash of that carp when the units were released and it has now dried up,

I have talked to several guys who work in stores selling the units and NONE are reporting problems with the units they have sold.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:16:19 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

1 GUY HAS FILED A SUIT.

20% is bullshit.

I am not surprised you cannot find the source of the information because whoever put that number out was lying like a rug. There was a rash of that carp when the units were released and it has now dried up,

I have talked to several guys who work in stores selling the units and NONE are reporting problems with the units they have sold.

The reason I haven't found it (again) is because I'm surfing ARFCOM and not looking for the info.  I will only post it if I come across it again incidentally.  I'm not wasting my money again (after the miserable original Xbox) and I'm not wasting my time digging up proof to save someone else the frustration.  I don't care enough.

ETA: Anyone who cares, google XBOX 360 problems
See for yourself
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:31:16 AM EDT
[#49]
Piss on all the consoles! My PC blows all of them away!
If I had to choose one though the Xbox will ALWAYS win over PS crap.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:03:05 AM EDT
[#50]
Ive been wearing my 360 out, and everyone asks me what problems I have had with it. None I havent even seen a hiccup yet, and it was a NOV 22 one. The only thing is it gets hot, so I got it out with plenty of breathing room. The only thing that sucks is those damn Americans with those springfields keep blowing my helmet off online. COD 2 , I can sit for hours and play online, then its just as amazing to go back and do more offline. I just wish the LLLLAAAAAGGGG would get fixed thats run into sometimes. I just wish there were some vehicles for online and maybe the oppurtunity to fire some 88 mm on live.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top