Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 5/1/2015 1:48:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/1/2015 2:06:29 PM EDT by mjohn3006]
I just went to lunch with a former coworker and he recommended a BBQ place. I should have taken a picture of the "bbq".
It was a brisket and pulled pork combo.

The brisket was so fatty it was almost inedible. 60% of it was pure fat. the parts that actually had meat were also heavily marbled with fat. Now I like some fat, but this was absurd.
The pulled pork had obviously been made in a crock pot with no spices at all. I tried a piece plain with no sauce and it was dry flavorless pork. Crock pot pulled pork can be ok, but this had no smoke flavor, no spices. Just plain pork heated until soft.

So I put their Kansas style sauce on it. The sauce was horrid. It was sweeter than teriyaki sauce. About as thin as hot sauce, and about the same color. It was sweeter than it was flavored with spices.
About the only thing that tasted ok was the mac and cheese and that had so much grease in it that it was almost floating on a pool of it in the bowl.

What the hell.

ETA a small place called Sweet Heat in Reston, VA
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:51:54 PM EDT
Fat gives the flavor..... or not. I am so sick of greasy shitty food, its difficult to go out to eat.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:52:13 PM EDT
you should come to NY. the bbq up here is fucking horrible, there is one place in a small town that has decent stuff but most of it sucks.

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:53:00 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ReallySlow:
Fat gives the flavor..... or not. I am so sick of greasy shitty food, its difficult to go out to eat.
View Quote

the wife and I don't go out that much any more, food is too expensive and not nearly as god as what we can make at home.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:54:20 PM EDT
Whatever you do don't tell us the name of the place or any important information that would help us avoid said bbq.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:54:31 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:54:50 PM EDT
Originally Posted By mjohn3006:
I just went to lunch with a former coworker and he recommended a BBQ place. I should have taken a picture of the "bbq".

The brisket was so fatty it was almost inedible. 60% of it was pure fat. the parts that actually had meat were also heavily marbled with fat. Now I like some fat, but this was absurd.
The pulled pork had obviously been made in a crock pot with no spices at all. I tried a piece plain with no sauce and it was dry flavorless pork. Crock pot pulled pork can be ok, but this had no smoke flavor, no spices. Just plain pork heated until soft.

So I put their Kansas style sauce on it. The sauce was horrid. It was sweeter than teriyaki sauce. About as thin as hot sauce, and about the same color. It was sweeter than it was flavored with spices.
About the only thing that tasted ok was the mac and cheese and that had so much grease in it that it was almost floating on a pool of it in the bowl.

What the hell.
View Quote

Well, fuck. You're in Virginia, what did you expect?

Here's a hint: Go to a place with Texas in the name. Better yet, go to a place with a lot of Texas license plates in the parking lot.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:55:34 PM EDT
View Quote

I agree. But a brisket should not be more fat than meat! If I broke it down it was probably 70% fat. I'm not sure how that much remained after cooking! I'm guessing they just used an oven and it was the cheapest crap brisket cut they could get.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:56:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/1/2015 1:56:41 PM EDT by mjohn3006]
Originally Posted By buckshot_jim:
Whatever you do don't tell us the name of the place or any important information that would help us avoid said bbq.
View Quote

It is Sweet Heat in Reston, VA. I don;t think it is a chain. I think it is just a mom and pop operation.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:56:50 PM EDT
Was it a Dickeys?

Dickeys SUCKS ASS!
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:56:52 PM EDT

It is Sweet Heat in Reston, VA. I don;t think it is a chain. I think it is just a mom and pop operation.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By buckshot_jim:

Thank you sir.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:57:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/1/2015 1:57:41 PM EDT by savageoneseven]
nm..
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:57:58 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Ciraxis:
you should come to NY. the bbq up here is fucking horrible, there is one place in a small town that has decent stuff but most of it sucks.

View Quote

My wife is from Syracuse. She keeps telling me how wonderful the bbq is at a certain place. The name starts with a D. I don't have the heart to ask her if they serve chicken riggies too.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:58:06 PM EDT
Crock pot pulled pork can be ok
View Quote

No it can't.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:58:30 PM EDT
Should have thrown it back at them.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:58:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/1/2015 2:00:54 PM EDT by davewvu86]

What the hell.
View Quote

Lemme guess, Pork Barrel BBQ in Del Ray? I went there about 2 weeks ago and it was the most disgusting pulled pork I've ever had. The meat was soggy, white, and fatty. No bark whatsoever.

ETA - just saw it was in Reston....well avoid Del Ray too... You might want to give Rocklands off Quaker & Duke a try. The meat is good, but the sauce is a little weak.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:58:35 PM EDT
Originally Posted By GregP220:
Was it a Dickeys?

Dickeys SUCKS ASS!
View Quote

that place has the worst cole slaw I have ever had
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:58:59 PM EDT
Originally Posted By 338winmag:

Here's a hint: Go to a place with Texas in the name. Better yet, go to a place with a lot of Texas license plates in the parking lot.
View All Quotes

What the hell.

There's something wrong with your keyboard. Every time you type "North Carolina" it appears to us as "Texas".

You really should contact IT as soon as possible.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:59:24 PM EDT

My wife is from Syracuse. She keeps telling me how wonderful the bbq is at a certain place. The name starts with a D. I don't have the heart to ask her if they serve chicken riggies too.
View All Quotes

the dinosaur bbq sucks, every body here seems to love it but it tastes like ass
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:59:36 PM EDT
I went to a BBQ place in Nashville that was recommended by that Rachel Rae cooking show a number of years ago. Fucking terrible. Worst BBQ ever.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:00:42 PM EDT
Originally Posted By autumnsong:
I went to a BBQ place in Nashville that was recommended by that Rachel Rae cooking show a number of years ago. Fucking terrible. Worst BBQ ever.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

never take advice from women, thats how babies are made
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:01:13 PM EDT
Was it a Dickeys?

Dickeys SUCKS ASS!
View Quote
There are worse BBQ joints. Jim Miller and Spring Creek come to mind.

I had some ribs from Dickeys a couple weeks ago. They were OK...sort of.

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:03:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/1/2015 2:06:35 PM EDT by fas2c]
There is a place here that brags they have been around for over 100 years and it is horrible all the Yelp reviews are terrible. Another is a chain, Larrys- decore is ok but food is lousy. I got a smoked pork platter and it tasted like baked pork. Zero smoke flavor, the only flavor I could taste was the pork so they got that part correct. my wife and I looked at each other and said nope, never again.

The best one is a joint on the side of the highway. Walk in and there is a haze becuase of the smoke and eveything has that yellow smoked varnish You walk out and you can smell the smoke on you clothes but hands down the best smiked pork in the area. Brunwick stew isnt too bad either. Ribs are pretty good but the wife says mine are way better. I can eat a rack of thier ribs easy.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:04:06 PM EDT

I agree. But a brisket should not be more fat than meat! If I broke it down it was probably 70% fat. I'm not sure how that much remained after cooking! I'm guessing they just used an oven and it was the cheapest crap brisket cut they could get.
View All Quotes

My sarcasm auto flag was off. When I do brisket at home, I use a partially trimmed one with just enough fat to keep things moist. Where I live, Cracker Barrel is the high point of dining. Seriously. Amazingly the best places go under and the worst have full parking lots.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:04:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/1/2015 2:06:10 PM EDT by glklvr]

View All Quotes

What the hell.

Originally Posted By safe1:
This BBQ didn't happen to be near a Tennessee school by chance?

How sad it is that the Salt Lick outlet in terminal C at DFW is better than any place in east Tennessee. There's no excuse that east TN should not be rolling in good bbq places.

eta: except for Ridgewood in Bluff City.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:06:30 PM EDT

View All Quotes

What the hell.

There's some damned fine BBQ out of Texas, but Texas is by no means the authority on good BBQ.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:08:37 PM EDT
Was it a Dickeys?

Dickeys SUCKS ASS!
View Quote

I like it. Not really sure how bad it could suck with 470 restaurants, but what do I know, I'm not of the BBQ master race.

The banana pudding from there is awesome.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:09:46 PM EDT
Lots of shitty BBQ here in VA which is why I make my own.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:12:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/1/2015 2:16:54 PM EDT by Adirondack1]

View Quote

DONT EAT DINOSAUR BBQ!
Partially owned by CREEPY OBAMMY SUPPORTER GEORGE SOROS!
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:12:39 PM EDT
BBQ in Reston? The further south you go the better it will be.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:12:45 PM EDT

View All Quotes
Was it a Dickeys?

Dickeys SUCKS ASS!

Everything was disappointing at the Dickeys I went to.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:14:22 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Adirondack1:

DONT EAT DINOSAUR BBQ!
Partially owned by CREEPY OBAMMY SUPPORTER GEORGE SOROS!http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02849/George-Soros-_2849818b.jpg
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Adirondack1:

DONT EAT DINOSAUR BBQ!
Partially owned by CREEPY OBAMMY SUPPORTER GEORGE SOROS!http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02849/George-Soros-_2849818b.jpg

I don't eat there, it sucks
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:15:03 PM EDT
Originally Posted By macman37:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By macman37:
Was it a Dickeys?

Dickeys SUCKS ASS!

was for me too, but that slaw stands out as being truly horrible
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:17:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/1/2015 2:18:20 PM EDT by surveyor3]

View All Quotes

What the hell.

lol...you know we're a pork icon right?

As for a place with a lot of Texas license plates in the parking lot, there's a place called Godfreys in Richmond....
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:18:24 PM EDT
I realize Mississippi ranks last in too many things, but we have better BBQ at most of our gas stations and convenience stores that the rest of you poor bastards in BBQ deserts.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:19:01 PM EDT
Worst I had was a chain

I tried some of each of the four meats with a cup pf each of the six sauces. The meats ranged from "too salty" to "might as well eat kosher salt by the spoonful". And I didn't like any of the sauces.

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:21:57 PM EDT
Originally Posted By edb66:
Worst I had was a chain

http://assets.bizjournals.com/baltimore/blog/charm-city-flavor/Mission-BBQ-2*304.jpg?v=1

I tried some of each of the four meats with a cup pf each of the six sauces. The meats ranged from "too salty" to "might as well eat kosher salt by the spoonful". And I didn't like any of the sauces.

View Quote

I've had mission one time near Baltimore. It was not bad. IT was not awesome. But not bad. Along red hot and blue and Famous Daves
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:22:41 PM EDT
Finding good BBQ in the northeast is like finding good Italian food out west. A rarity indeed.

BTW it now seems that Mr Soros, who for years has said that the rich should pay more taxes, has a 6.7 billion dollar tax bill hanging over him. I do not understand why he hasn't paid up yet.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:23:29 PM EDT
There is a place in Chantilly called Willards and they do it right. VERY good BBQ. Smoked properly, good sauces.

I would put red hot and blue and famous daves as WORLD CLASS next to the slop I ate today.

I've never had Dickeys
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:28:46 PM EDT
I have found that the best BBQ is found at the small "out of the way" places. Stay away from the chain-fast-food BBQ.

That said, BBQ depends where you are. Here in Texas, good brisket is easy to find, but when I go back to North Carolina, oh hell, no where near the same!!! Same goes foe NC. When I go home I eat all the pulled-pork BBQ I can while I'm there, Texas is Ok, but nothing like good ole Skinner n' Daniels or Flip's back in Wilmington!
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:31:49 PM EDT
LOL

No bad BBQ here. We've got that covered. It's the upside (possibly the ONLY upside at that) of living where I do.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:32:32 PM EDT
Kinda funny, out of 60 some odd restaurants here, the highest rated on Yelp! is a BBQ place served out of a truck.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/naamans-championship-bbq-texarkana

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:33:13 PM EDT

View All Quotes

How far from Cortland are you? I have to go there 2-3 times a year for business. Need the inside info on where to eat nearby.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:34:42 PM EDT

What the hell.

View Quote

Decent BBQ places here in VA are few and far between...and most of the time when I get one recommended...it sucks. I swear there's too much yankee influence around here for ppl to understand what good BBQ is.

On side note...I'll be doing a couple butts this weekend...need to go grab some wood for the smoker...
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:35:31 PM EDT
like eating wadded up pieces of paper?
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:36:33 PM EDT
View Quote

Mental note - avoid like the plague.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:37:10 PM EDT

View Quote

I ordered bbq once in NY. Never again.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:38:22 PM EDT

View Quote

IM Sent
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:39:05 PM EDT

What the hell.

View Quote

horrible reviews on yelp
http://www.yelp.com/biz/sweet-heat-bbq-reston
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:39:13 PM EDT
Originally Posted By nickman54:

How far from Cortland are you? I have to go there 2-3 times a year for business. Need the inside info on where to eat nearby.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By nickman54:

I'm about 45 minutes from cortland, they have a dickies there (seriously don't eat there)

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:39:39 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Ozwaldo:

IM Sent
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Ozwaldo:

IM Sent

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Top Top