Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/28/2005 6:23:33 AM EDT
I have always been a gastronomic adventurer.

Server:   “Rare?”  

Me:  “Yes please.”  

Server:  “Organ meat?”  

Me:  “You bet.”

I eat at dives with good recommendations or just because the place “smells right.”  I have eaten wonderful meals at questionable places in questionable countries.  I like local color.

Now, however, there’s a problem.  For the last few years I have lived in a small city in Southern Colorado.  It is the United States equivalent of a Third World Nation in terms of restaurants.  Great little ethnic places (mainly Mexican or Italian/Sicilian) with almost no health department enforcement.

My wife and I eat out, or take out 1-2 times per week not including the fairly rare fast food lunch.  Every 3-4 months I have been getting what I believe is food poisoning.  The symptoms include very severe gastric cramping (within 2 hours) vomiting and the green apple quick step (usually w/I 3 hours).  My wife and I almost never eat the same thing but we usually share a little.  The result is that she gets a mild case or no sickness whatsoever while I am a puking, shivering, shi%^&# , mess for a couple of days.

Moreover, it seems, in my own subjective head, that I am becoming more sensitive to whatever is twisting my gut.  This Thursday it was a little chilled number that involved chicken, avocados, a black bean salsa and some kind of white sauce.  (Makes my stomach turn just to think of it.)

Though I wish I could blame this on fast food or chain restaurants, I’ve never gotten sick at one of those flavor killing McBorings.

I am a very good cook and I have never made myself, or anyone else, sick.    But, I observe safe food handling.  I also pick quality meats and vegetables and wash; a lot.

So, am I doomed to never eat out or take out?

Must I always eat at (shudder) chain restaurants?

Am I just getting the flu and think that its food poisoning?

Can I get a magic pill to cure my aching gut?

(I already know I’m a whiny little bitch with a tummy ache so I don’t include that as an option.)

I could post this anywhere, but I’d like some thoughtful answers, some humorous answers, and I’d like to let you all engage in schadenfreude at my expense.  
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:32:12 AM EDT
[#1]
The green apple shuffle is just a part of reality when eating with the yocals.  In fact, mild cases could be good for you.  We all need a good cleaning out from time to time!  After a few months, you forget how you originally wanted to die, and you get adventurous again.

In my opinion, this has probably happened all along, but you are just now old/wise/soft enough to notice it and recognize cause/effect.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:34:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Simple answer:

Only eat at restuarants that display a food sanitation licence or certification. Otherwise you risk a repeat performance.  Hand

efxguy

Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:38:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Better get a checkup for Hepatitis.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:49:56 AM EDT
[#4]
I get a regular yearly exam and am otherwise in fine health.  I'm not even in my 40s.

(I've got a little baby weight right now since my wife was on bed rest for 4 1/2 months of the pregnancy.)

Its not hep or the hiv.  I exercise, don't smoke (damn), rarely drink, am not exposed to blood, have regular check ups (including full blood work) and no other lifestyle risk factors.

Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:59:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Hmmm. Well, by the time you are done with your gastrointestinal adventures you should just about be ready to give REAL Mexican Restaraunts a spin.......

by the time you're done you should immune to just about every food bug known to man......
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:05:32 AM EDT
[#6]
I've been to Mexico (and a few other places) .  Central, non-touristy Mexico.  Ate at the local joints.  

Never had problems.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top