Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 11/26/2002 9:42:57 PM EDT
I just got back on the slab for a couple week tour after a long drive. I'm a bit wired and I guess I'll tell another tale to wind down before I sack out for a bit. I guess you guys have pretty much figured out that I'm a pretty outspoken guy, and that people like me make some enemies. But we do have defenders, too. One of the neighbors badmouthed me at a party a while ago, which is no surprise, but I found out that one of my defenders stuck up for me. The mouthy do-good liberals were accusing me of this or that and one of my pals spoke up: "Listen, on 9/14 when you called and asked me over for a candle light service, do you know where Piccolo was? You were in shock and wanted to hold hands andsing Kumbya. Piccolo was trying to get back into the Army. They wouldn't take him, so he tried to get into the Marines. He's 50 years old, dammit! Do you even have a clue what it'd be like going through boot camp at 50?! Even the easy days would leave his ass dragging! But I'd bet the house that he wouldn't quit.WTF were YOU doing?" Uh......um......hem.......haw.... I got wind of this and I guess I'll tell you it's pretty much true. I'm one of those damned fool middle aged men that tried to get back in shortly after 9/11. At the time it wasn't too funny, but it's been over a year and things have softened up a bit. Because I know too many military people in the area, and didn't want to embarrass anyone, I skipped out to another area and went in to the recruiting station. The Army recruiter told me not only 'No', but 'Hell, no'. I argued, but to no avail. He wouldn't even put in a request for an age waiver. I got sarcastic and told him he reminded me of a middle aged man having a mid-life crisis: Looking for young stuff.... He ran me out and told me to 'Tell it to the Marines'. So I went into the Marine Recruiters. He was busy with a young guy, so I tossed my paperwork on his desk, walked past him to the chin-up bar and knocked back the better part of a dozen. That made him turn his head. Next he looked at the papers on his desk and saw a pretty recent scorecard on top. THAT got his attention. "That's a 437 on the National match course! It's better than I can do, and I've shot 'Expert" for years!" he said. He asked me what I wanted and I told him that I wanted in. He grinned, and shook his head. He also let me take a couple tests, which I easily passed. In an instant he called the Sergeant Major and the two of them discussed the issue. At least they let me put in a request for an age waiver. A couple of days later, he called me and let me know the waiver had been denied. He also laughed and told me jokingly that there had been talk in the Corps about getting R.Lee Ermey out of retirement because a lot of us 'Old School' guys had tried to get in. At least he was trying to make it palatable. It was then he noticed what i had put down on the form under "occupation" and he called me in. I drove a couple hours to the station and walked in. i was treated to an ass chewing like I hadn't had in years. "50 YO riflemen we DON"T need. Merchant Seamen are scarce! Get back to work RIGHT NOW!" I went back to work and told the story about trying to get back in to a certain supervisor. He was pretty good about it, and, although I never asked him, I think he pulled a string or two and put me on a few Jet fuel runs. It made me feel a LOT better, at least I was doing SOMETHING. I stewed and fretted for about 6 months and worried. Then my back went out for a few days and I realized that maybe trying to get back in wasn't the best idea I'd had recently. Maybe it IS time to pass the torch. I pray you young people run with it. I know you will.
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 10:00:59 PM EDT
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 10:36:07 PM EDT
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 10:47:02 PM EDT
Well, I just got my branching results in. Assuming I graduate on time, I will be the newest Second Lieutenant in the US Army Infantry on 13 June 2003.
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 10:47:54 PM EDT
Did you offer to do some CONTRACT work, you know, GARDENING, planting DAISIES, as a civvie? They drop you in, you do ANYTHING you want to the Emeny er i mean GARDEN. Your not US MILITARY, so they are not responsible for what you do. They can have Plausible Denyabliity. I'm half your age and I cant do 5 pull ups. Whats stopping you, or some of these other OLD SOLDIERS from heading out there and cutting an Arabs throat to get a gun and have some fun like you want.
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 10:54:40 PM EDT
Piccolo, Why you aren't writing for a major magazine such as "National Review" is beyond me. Not that your words are wasted here, but you really deserve a larger audience. Just something for you to consider.
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 10:56:42 PM EDT
Originally Posted By voilsb: Well, I just got my branching results in. Assuming I graduate on time, I will be the newest Second Lieutenant in the US Army Infantry on 13 June 2003.
View Quote
Thanks! Glad to see some youg blood picking up for guys like me! Now, Dammit! Tuck yourself under the wing of your Platoon Sergeant or some other GOOD NCO until you find out what's going on! Don't be a hero!
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 11:20:18 PM EDT
Originally Posted By piccolo:
Originally Posted By voilsb: Well, I just got my branching results in. Assuming I graduate on time, I will be the newest Second Lieutenant in the US Army Infantry on 13 June 2003.
View Quote
Thanks! Glad to see some youg blood picking up for guys like me! Now, Dammit! Tuck yourself under the wing of your Platoon Sergeant or some other GOOD NCO until you find out what's going on! Don't be a hero!
View Quote
yup. until i commission, i'm in the national guard in an infantry rifle company. the best one in the state, possibly nation. superior unit award, receive high commendations every time we go to JRTC. of the three platoons, i've got the one with the most experience. my weapons squad leader spent time in 3rd bat, my platoon sergeant spent time at division and passed ranger school at 38 years old. i've got some experience to learn from, and this is before i even take my own active platoon. also, to continue encouraging you, my little brother just graduated airborne school, and on 08 december reports at the 101st airborne (legs ... er, i mean "air assault") as an infantry mortarman. of course, i can get away with it by blaming my family ... dad spent 21 years enlisted as an infantryman, my grandpa was an infantryman in the south pacific during WW2, two of my uncles served, my mom served ... my older brother, however, *almost* served, then decided not to. oh well, it's not for everyone
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 12:16:44 AM EDT
piccolo, the torch has been passed but it's flame burns brighter and more steady today because of the sacrifices seasoned soldiers like yourself have made in the past for this great nation. Gods speed old soldier. Happy Thanksgiving everyone, God Bless.
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 3:48:35 AM EDT
piccolo, Fuckin aye man. Thats ballsy.
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 4:04:58 AM EDT
piccolo My friend did the same thing, hes got to be in his 50s. He got back in the Army though somehow, Ill ask him about it for you.
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 4:12:25 AM EDT
Good for you Pic. In my dreams I return there once more in my youthful vigor, only to awake in a tub of memories.
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 4:48:45 AM EDT
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 5:36:53 AM EDT
I get back ""there"" often, in my flashbacks[;)]
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 6:00:56 AM EDT
Like an old warhorse, I hear the bugle blow and want back in harness. Oh, well. At least I work on Army stuff. To you young fellows who may go in harm's way, buy a concealable body armor capable of stopping 7.62 x 39, please, and God bless.
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 6:05:22 AM EDT
Hey Cap'n, Back smellin the sea air eh?? I was gonna remind you, that during the "Battle of the Atlantic" during WWII, the merchant marine suffered more casualties than all Navies combined in that theatre. Your job is important not only to those deployed troops, but the return trip is important to us here a home. It is time to pass the torch. I only pray, that our kids don't get suckered like we did in the 'Nam.........
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 6:11:52 AM EDT
Hey Pic, do you get the same slab and crew every time? If so, say hi to the "chief" for me! Also ask the agent to get a new faster modem to replace the "broken" one...... [:D]
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 6:13:29 AM EDT
Originally Posted By mags: I get back ""there"" often, in my flashbacks[;)]
View Quote
Ditto...It'll never be over for some.....
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 6:17:55 AM EDT
As a matter of fact...today I should learn if I'm eligible for re-enlistment in the Air Force Reserves. If I am, I'm there. I'm 37, two years past the reserve's age limit of 35, but that limit applies to non-prior service personnel, and I am technically qualified as prior service. If my afternoon conversation with the MSgt in charge goes well, then it's a given that I'll be going back in, and training into a new field...which one I don't know, but I'll choose from what's needed at the local reserve units. I hope to land an aircrew position...ANY aircrew position even if it's pararescue, which is going to cause me to work harder than I ever have in my life...for the RESERVES! Oh well...I'll choose from what's available and go from there...if the call is good news. CJ
Top Top