Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/29/2013 2:48:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
FUCK BIPOLAR.

It stole my mother from me.

My mother was diagnosed with bipolar disorder about 6 years ago when she had a complete psychotic breakdown. She likely had it for years, but self medicated with narcotics and muscle relaxers.  Now, she has special bipolar, they say, with 'psychotic features'. She cycles yearly.  Her trigger is the autumn death of her mother from 8 years ago, so every year around end of August she starts cycling up into a mania.  She is then hospitalized, like clockwork, before the end of September generally. This has been constant for 6 years. Because of this, she can't work, can't maintain a residence, can't manage her finances, basically can't be a person. She has been in and out of shelters, hospitals, halfway houses, bummed on people's couches...You name it.

She believes her disease is physical and not psychiatric. She goes from doctor to doctor looking for reasons to be sick, but they never find anything.  She thinks she was exposed to high levels of methymercaptan in a natural gas leak at a former place of employment years ago, and that caused her disease. She blames everything on her 'poison gas' exposure. In plain speak, she's fucking NUTS.

She is manplative and narsissitic, she steals, cheats, lies, refuses to take meds.  It's a nightmare. I can't even talk to her.  I can't trust her near my child or possessions.  

Basically, I don't have a mother anymore and she was a great mom during my childhood. I now have a mental patient and I can't deal with her, even being a seasoned emergency room nurse. I simply don't have the resources or time.

If you think bipolar is some trivial thing, it's not. People who lie about having bipolar are assholes and FSA who want benefits, I know many of them.
View Quote

Your situation is bringing to tears.  I'm sorry your mother has this diesease. I hope in some way your mother well get better. I wlll say a prayer for you and your mother.
Link Posted: 8/29/2013 2:52:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
If you're not acting out and it never interferes with your job... why be afraid of it?  Tell people if you want.  I wouldn't walk up to my boss and drop a bomb on him, or bring it up awkwardly in a meeting, but if people know you well and appreciate your hard work they will see you as an example of someone with Bipolar Disorder who's managing pretty damn well.  Actions supersede labels.

This is what we call an irrational fear.
View Quote

Thats not how it always work out. Not evryone is open minded.
Link Posted: 8/29/2013 2:55:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
This guy knows his stuff!

Im a mental health rehabilitation officer and work on recovery. We try and work beyond the crisis. It scares me when i see people who once had their shit together fall to bits. I dont really focus on the diagnosis and instead work with the person and their choices. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt.

If you ever see a mate or family in trouble, intervene.

Meds work. So does exercise, diet, getting out of the house and getting involved in the world.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I worked in a group home for a few years.

Mental illness is a tragedy that no one asks for.  It destroys lives, and relationships.  It is very easy to look at someone wandering the streets who is in the throws of a crisis and instantly write them off as a wasted life with no hope.

What you don't think about when you look at these people, is that they once had hopes, dreams, and families who loved them.   Some of them made it through college before a life changing event took place, and shattered everything they ever knew.

With that said, it is very difficult to differentiate symptoms of these illnesses with poor choices.  
You never know if that guy who just smoked crack is desperately resorting to the only thing that has ever dulled the assaulting voices in his head, or if he is simply not serious about getting back on his feet.

I worked with guys who still had a chance.  I was actually just invited back to the place I used to work.  I had a lot of pride to see a few of my old trouble makers taking a lead on showing the newer guys that their struggles can be overcome.
This guy knows his stuff!

Im a mental health rehabilitation officer and work on recovery. We try and work beyond the crisis. It scares me when i see people who once had their shit together fall to bits. I dont really focus on the diagnosis and instead work with the person and their choices. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt.

If you ever see a mate or family in trouble, intervene.

Meds work. So does exercise, diet, getting out of the house and getting involved in the world.

AMEN!!
Link Posted: 8/29/2013 6:12:23 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

If you're not acting out and it never interferes with your job... why be afraid of it?  Tell people if you want.  I wouldn't walk up to my boss and drop a bomb on him, or bring it up awkwardly in a meeting, but if people know you well and appreciate your hard work they will see you as an example of someone with Bipolar Disorder who's managing pretty damn well.  Actions supersede labels.

This is what we call an irrational fear.

View Quote
Real life experiences point to the fear not being irrational.

Link Posted: 8/30/2013 9:52:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Then quit obfuscating.

You criticized my comparison to cancer, diabetes and PTSD, and you ended up looking like an idiot by my response. So you punted and fell back on the "it's only because it affects their work" bullshit.

ALL illnesses, especially chronic ones like cancer, diabetes, bipolar, PTSD, can and do put a burden on employers and coworkers.

But people with mental health problems are treated like shit by ignoramuses because of what the disease does to them.... unlike treating cancer patients as being simply lazy, or diabetics as being weak or PTSD as being stupid.

Most people understand what cancer or diabetes does to the body and so they don't identify the PERSON with the disease.

Cancer and diabetes patients are not called "weak and lazy" even though the disease causes them to have no energy and to be sick a lot.

But idiots who are (willfully it appears) ignorant about mental illness DO identify the PERSON with the disease (they're just "raving lunatics" and "crazy killers" who SHOULD be ostracized).

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

People with cancer are just lazy because they always seem tired and don't have as much energy as me. Fuck'em!

People with diabetes are just weak because they don't have good blood circulation like me. GTFO bums!

People with PTSD are just stupid because they can't handle stress like me. Retards!

People with mental illness deserve to be ostracized because they don't act like me. Lunatics!

Notice that your first three examples don't put a burden on an employer or the people around the crazy guy?

The fuck they do!  They ALL affect ability to work and interact with customers or coworkers.

Cancer people need extra time off... lazy asses.

Diabetes people are always asking to leave early to "go see their doctor"... yeah right. GTFO!

PTSD people can't deal with boisterous or argumentative co-workers and always want predictable order... oh this stresses me out too much!

You are trying too hard.
If you are a disruption in the workplace, we don't have a responsibility to subsidize that.

End of story.

Then quit obfuscating.

You criticized my comparison to cancer, diabetes and PTSD, and you ended up looking like an idiot by my response. So you punted and fell back on the "it's only because it affects their work" bullshit.

ALL illnesses, especially chronic ones like cancer, diabetes, bipolar, PTSD, can and do put a burden on employers and coworkers.

But people with mental health problems are treated like shit by ignoramuses because of what the disease does to them.... unlike treating cancer patients as being simply lazy, or diabetics as being weak or PTSD as being stupid.

Most people understand what cancer or diabetes does to the body and so they don't identify the PERSON with the disease.

Cancer and diabetes patients are not called "weak and lazy" even though the disease causes them to have no energy and to be sick a lot.

But idiots who are (willfully it appears) ignorant about mental illness DO identify the PERSON with the disease (they're just "raving lunatics" and "crazy killers" who SHOULD be ostracized).

You are ascribing a lot of shit to me I never said.
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 8:44:55 PM EDT
[#6]
As seen in this thread, I would not suggest telling your employer you have a mental illness.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top