Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/13/2009 11:41:35 AM EDT

My wife said something about the sound card being broke. Heck if I know. What could it be.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 11:42:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

My wife said something about the sound card being broke. Heck if I know. What could it be.

Have you checked the task bar to make sure that the sound isn't muted  

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 11:42:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Go to the manufactures website of the sound card and download the drivers for your sound card.  Install them.  Hopefully that would fix the issue.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 11:42:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Is your computer on?
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 11:44:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have you checked the task bar to make sure that the sound isn't muted  

Yes the volume is up and its not muted. It hasent been working for weeks now.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 11:44:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Go to the manufactures website of the sound card and download the drivers for your sound card.  Install them.  Hopefully that would fix the issue.

ITs a dell computer. How can I tell who made the sound card?
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 11:45:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Pretty rare for a soundcard to just up and die, and more often than not they're just a chunk of the motherboard anymore.

Hard to say.  I'd check the obvious stuff first, mute, speakers on, plugged in, yada yada.

On a somewhat related topic, I once had a guy at work call me up and say the sound on his computer didn't work, come right away.

What he meant was that the sound OF the computer was "wrong", and it was hosed.  HD was going GRRRRRR.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 2:02:15 PM EDT
[#7]
you might go to dell.com , enter your machine info and download the latest audio driver. I see very few audio cards go "bad".  Usually just driver issues. You ca enter your service tag info.(usually located on the bottom, under the bar code.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 2:05:13 PM EDT
[#8]
You have tried re-booting the PC...right?
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 2:09:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Use some headphones in the audio jack to make sure the speakers haven't gone out.  Speakers go bad way more often than the sound card.

You can check in your system properties to ID the sound card.  Then you can download the latest driver for your sound card.

Go through all the regular stuff first.  Plugged in (power and jack), volume up, not muted, etc.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 2:10:44 PM EDT
[#10]
My Dell is doing the same thing. Downloaded the drivers three times and it's still not working. I can plug in headphones or external speakers and it works fine????
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 7:43:51 PM EDT
[#11]

Well I downloaded the new driver and its still not working. shucks
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 7:59:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Holy hell, you are back....
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 10:36:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Are you running Vista??  A friend of mine was have same problem of no sound but was working fine prior to suddenly going out.  I suggested they google sound problems for there make of computer running Vista and sure enough they found reference to a common problem and where able to download a fix for it.

I never heard specifically what the issue was, just that my advise put them in the right direction.

Oh and.....................................VISTA SUCKS ASS!!   Microsoft......how about you don't try to fix something that aint broke!!   I stick with my XP.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 10:52:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

This is what worked for my Dell laptop even after reinstalling the drivers for the sound.
I actually had to shut it down and let it sit for a while. Just restarting didn't work.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:49:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Holy hell, you are back....

I'm in and out...here and there.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 6:57:27 AM EDT
[#16]
I also had the sound go out last night on a dell running xp. Once I opened Itunes, the sound started working again.....very wierd
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top