Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 7/31/2005 7:10:52 PM EDT
A person needs new experiences. They jar something deep inside, allowing him to grow. Without change, something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken.

That's a quote from Dune. I just watched the movie again this weekend after reading the book while on vacation. I realized that this is exactly how I have been feeling lately. My job is really boring and I havn't met anyone since college that I could consider a close friend. I've just been feeling really idle lately, stagnant. I feel like I am wasting my youth, but I seriously can't find anything to do.

In college, I had an ultimate goal that I was working to accomplish. But now that I'm done and have a job, it seems like I don't have anything to do anymore. I don't have a goal to look forward to or anything difficult to challenge me. Every day at work, I'm looking forard to the days end just so I can go home and do nothing for the rest of the night. And all week I look forward to the weekend, which I sqaunder. I just feel really depressed, which is really unlike me because I am usually very hopeful and optimistic. What's wrong with me? And how can I change?
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:14:17 PM EDT
When I saw the title, I thought the phrase "Iya, iya, Cthulhu" was going to show up in the post somewhere.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:18:20 PM EDT
Cancer changed how I do things. I used to go to work looking for the days end as well.

Once mortality is in your face, especially something with such an impact as the simple word- cancer- it can force a change in how you do things, and react to things.

I think a lot of people go from day to day, blah blah through life. Now I have a primary focus on enjoying what few days we all are given, especially with the fact no man knows the date or hour.

If I want to do something, I get busy doing it. If I dont want to do something, I wont do it, period.

Hell, it even effected my gunsafe. I sold shit I didnt want or want to shoot anymnore. I bought things I had always wanted. I built my AR 10 early this year, I picked up an SP-1 today. I have one gun out for sale, and am looking for soemthing else I want. In the last 3 weeekends I went shooting 3 weekends in a row, unheard of for me this time last year.

You need to enjoy life. Its shorter than you think and every day is one day less you will live, and you never get today again. No do overs, this is not a test.

Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:20:27 PM EDT
"He who controls the spice, controls the universe!"
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:23:39 PM EDT
"Beware the slow blade."
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:23:54 PM EDT
Dude, get a dog. I just recently got a Labrador puppy and he has kept me entertained, frustrated and generally on my toes for the 3 weeks that I have had him. I have never had a dog before, but I don't even think about myself anymore, which I was probably doing too much of recently. Believe me, it works.

Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:26:40 PM EDT
You answered your own question.

Pick your goals. WRITE THEM DOWN.

Achieve.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:27:34 PM EDT
there are two life altering events in my life that awoke my sleeper. #1 was watching my Grandfather die of cancer and #2 Afghanistan. It was in the face of death that I realized how trivial life is and that we need to enjoy as much of it we can.

~Dg84

CavVet could not have said it better so I will quote him...

You need to enjoy life. Its shorter than you think and every day is one day less you will live, and you never get today again. No do overs, this is not a test.

Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:33:55 PM EDT
I've gone through slumps like your's before. Slogging through each day. I do believe that God has a plan for each and every one of us; I further believe that when you're in that slump, God will send you another challenge that will get you out of your funk...it was when I was in my slump that the Good Lord promoted me and put me in another position. Now I don't have time to be bored or in a slump.

Recently I am looking forward to a much needed vacation; and when I get back, our pay raise goes into effect. So, trust in God & He'll take care of your blue days and everything else.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:37:24 PM EDT

Originally Posted By CavVet:

x 1,000,000
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:42:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/31/2005 8:08:01 PM EDT by AZ-Dave]
I've done a lot of different things in my life, and last January, at 40 years old, I went back to school full time to finally complete a degree. I don't want to be just OK with what I do day to day for the rest of my life, I want satisfaction. But yet, I look at work as a means of survival--something you have to do to be comfortable.
My motto is: work to live--DON'T live to work

ETA: i've reinvented myself several times, and may several more time before its over. KEEPS ME REFRESHED
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:54:31 PM EDT
Wow, reading that was a real de-ja-vu.

The day is almost over. I need a drink.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 8:04:30 PM EDT
Holy crap! I was just about to post this
exact thread. I've found myself in quite
the rut, ever since I moved to Vermont.
The day consists of work, gym, eat, then
sleep. If I am lucky, I can get a round of
golf in.

Recently, I've been "inventing" things to
keep me busy (remodeling my condo,
some woodworking projects, etc).

I'm thinking about moving in the spring.
That keeps me going - for now.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 8:28:49 PM EDT

Originally Posted By QuantumPion:
A person needs new experiences. They jar something deep inside, allowing him to grow. Without change, something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken.

That's a quote from Dune. I just watched the movie again this weekend after reading the book while on vacation. I realized that this is exactly how I have been feeling lately. My job is really boring and I havn't met anyone since college that I could consider a close friend. I've just been feeling really idle lately, stagnant. I feel like I am wasting my youth, but I seriously can't find anything to do.

In college, I had an ultimate goal that I was working to accomplish. But now that I'm done and have a job, it seems like I don't have anything to do anymore. I don't have a goal to look forward to or anything difficult to challenge me. Every day at work, I'm looking forard to the days end just so I can go home and do nothing for the rest of the night. And all week I look forward to the weekend, which I sqaunder. I just feel really depressed, which is really unlike me because I am usually very hopeful and optimistic. What's wrong with me? And how can I change?

Find yourself something productive to do....

Like me, I get to go to Fort Sill shortly to train for 3-4mos to go to Iraq for a year.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:54:06 AM EDT

Originally Posted By TheCynic:
Holy crap! I was just about to post this
exact thread. I've found myself in quite
the rut, ever since I moved to Vermont.
The day consists of work, gym, eat, then
sleep. If I am lucky, I can get a round of
golf in.

Recently, I've been "inventing" things to
keep me busy (remodeling my condo,
some woodworking projects, etc).

I'm thinking about moving in the spring.
That keeps me going - for now.

Hehe, that's pretty funny. Maybe it's just a summer thing.
Top Top