Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/5/2006 8:06:31 PM EDT
It seems Netanyahu is back center stage.  This will be fun in a few months.

Link to source

George Mitchell: Netanyahu likely to benefit

(CNN) -- Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon suffered a massive stroke on Wednesday. Whatever his fate, it is bound to reverberate throughout Israeli politics. Sharon's illness comes just months before a crucial election in March that has Sharon's newly formed centrist political party, Kadima, right in the thick of it.

CNN anchor Soledad O'Brien talked with former Senate Majority Leader George Mitchell, chairman of an international fact-finding committee on Mideast violence and one of the chief architects of the U.S.-brokered "Road Map to Peace," about the power vacuum in the event of Sharon's death or disablement.

O'BRIEN: First, let's talk about Ariel Sharon. His condition is reported to be very, very bad. If he dies, what happens to his party, the centrist party ( Kadima)?

MITCHELL: Like many other things, unknown at the moment. Clearly it will be hurt. It's a party that was founded largely based on his personality. They've attracted some good and well-known people. No one of his stature exists really in the party or in Israel.

O'BRIEN: His deputy has taken over. His name is Ehud Olmert and he's sort of in charge essentially now. Does he have the force of personality where he could rise up and lead the party as successfully as Ariel Sharon has?

MITCHELL: I think he could. I know him. He's a former mayor of Jerusalem. He's an experienced, well-known political figure. Obviously, in recent years, operating under the shadow of Prime Minister Sharon, but that's a possibility. He will be a strong candidate.

I think he'll be a very effective prime minister if he ever gets there. However, I think the most likely beneficiary is Prime Minister Sharon's rival, former Prime Minister [Benjamin] Netanyahu.

O'BRIEN: Who leads the Likud party. [The conservative party founded by Sharon. He left this party to form Kadima.]

MITCHELL: [Netanyahu] stayed with Likud and is now running in the election. It's hard to know because so much is uncertain and people's reactions are immediate and personal. But once they settle down, probably Netanyahu will be a beneficiary.

O'BRIEN: Why do you think Likud and not the Labor party? I'm mentioning basically the parties that sort of could -- would be in the mix of a big power grab.

MITCHELL: Yes, it's a time of great insecurity and anxiety .... in the Middle East, on both sides. You now have instability on the Israeli side. You have a high level of instability on the Palestinian side because of the gains being made by Hamas in the [January 25 Palestinian parliamentary] election, and the difficulty of establishing law and order by the Palestinian Authority, although Palestinian President [Mahmoud] Abbas is obviously working very hard at that.

And so I think people look for security first: strong leaders. What they perceive as strong leaders first.

O'BRIEN: You're referencing all this upheaval essentially in the Palestinian territories. And some Palestinians that they've quoted in news reports have been celebrating his illness. You know, saying it's a gift from God essentially.

And others have said, even though they don't particularly like Sharon, that he's better to us alive than dead. Do you think that's true for the Palestinians?

MITCHELL: Well, of course, they tend to look more at Sharon's record in previous years as opposed to recent years. I spent a lot of time over there. I didn't meet many Israelis who ever thought highly of [the late Palestinian Authority leader Yasser] Arafat, nor did I ever meet many Palestinians that thought highly of Sharon.

These are societies in conflict and therefore they tend not to favor whoever is the leader of the other side.

O'BRIEN: Yes, it's not a shocker that they're celebrating to a large degree. But is he -- are they worse off if everything stops in the middle? Any gains made by the Kadima party?

MITCHELL: I think everyone is worse off because there has been very little momentum in the process until now. Much of it generated by Sharon himself and by President Abbas on the other side.

And the problem is, that the more uncertainty, the greater the likelihood of instability, the more violence I think is likely to follow as people don't see a clear political path to their goals.

O'BRIEN: What about the U.S. policy? Much of the policy has been based on these goals set by Ariel Sharon.

MITCHELL: Well, Israel is a democracy, of course, and they have an established process of selecting the leadership. And the United States policy must be, of course, to respect that.

While I think it will be a setback, particularly the president and Mr. Sharon have had a good relationship, I don't think the United States policy is based on any one person, particularly when dealing with democratic societies where we respect the right of the people of Israel to select their leaders in accordance with their laws.

O'BRIEN: Well, I guess we'll all watch and wait and really just see the fallout.

MITCHELL: Yes.

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:08:12 PM EDT
[#1]
God bless Mr. Netanyahu
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:09:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I was thinking the same thing as soon as news of the stroke got out
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:13:09 PM EDT
[#3]
In other words, Bush was just telling him to loose some weight, they need him around.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:14:56 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

First thought to my mind too.  Makes me think Sharons stroke will expediate things.  Deadline given to U.S. to intervene with Iran was March.  The coming Israeli election also in March.  Thoughts?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:18:29 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

First thought to my mind too.  Makes me think Sharons stroke will expediate things.  Deadline given to U.S. to intervene with Iran was March.  The coming Israeli election also in March.  Thoughts?

I was guessing on a increase in the hardliners in Israel
and a increase in hostilies  getting  Iran wound up
Im am agnostic  but everyday it seems like the old testment keeps getting clearer
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:21:29 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
In other words, Bush was just telling him to loose some weight, they need him around.

Screw the NeoCons, the Israelis may very well solve our problem for us.  Also if Iran is busy with Israel at least they will not have time to bolster the Iraqi insurgency.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:23:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:23:49 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Im am agnostic  but everyday it seems like the old testment keeps getting clearer

I am also agnostic that said this is both forseeable and inevitable.  Let 'em sort each other out, and stay the fuck out of the way short of 3+ arab nations invading.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:26:20 PM EDT
[#9]

hehe

hello Iran

hehe
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:27:37 PM EDT
[#10]
there will never be peace in the middle beast... that's one reason we might nota done iraq..... but anyways, it only is gonna get more interesting.. and we are hip-deep in whatever bubbles up.. and dont forget the the number 1 , 2, and 3 top oil reserves in the world are right there and the poor chinese need some of dat stuff to keep a growin...

may we live in interesting times..
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:27:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Bebe is prolly corrupt but shit he's their best hope now...
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:29:26 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
God bless Mr. Netanyahu

As I was reading through the initial post, that ^^^ was exactly what I was thinking, and planning to post.  

I get the feeling Allah would not bless Mr. Netanyahu.  Isn't religous interpritation to the individual funny
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:35:05 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am also agnostic that said this is both forseeable and inevitable.  Let 'em sort each other out, and stay the fuck out of the way short of 3+ arab nations invading.

[Start DUm-DUm]

This is all Bush's fault!

[/ DUm-DUm]
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:41:44 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

[Start DUm-DUm]

This is all Bush's fault!

[/ DUm-DUm]

Read a history book or ever watched the news?  This eventuality is not the result of new phenomenon or recent events.  Cant possibly blame just Bush (Libtards will try)this goes back to the 1940s minimum, historicly more likely 1000's of years.  

You do not find it odd that your principled leader seemingly would allow Iran the original terrorists supporting country to acquire nukes?  Seem to remeber we went to war over something like that recently, maybe I'm just pulling that memory out of my ass though?  Elaborate please?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:13:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Netannyahu, while there's a lot to like about him, is the opportunistic vulture of Israeli politics.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:20:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:38:16 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Netannyahu, while there's a lot to like about him, is the opportunistic vulture of Israeli politics.

Vultures are a successful species.  He is more a Hawk in my opinion what Israel needs right now.  Arabs understand the strong-man concept well.  No chickenhawks running Israel Sharon was a hero, but he erred as of late.  Heres an account of Netanyahus service.  Hes no chickenhawk.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:59:10 PM EDT
[#18]
All this talk about Bebe is irrelevant anyway - Sharon's "stroke" is a masterfully-executed ruse to lull the Iranians into temporary complacency. They'll never know what hit 'em.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:04:19 PM EDT
[#19]
I hope a strike on Iran from Israel prompts Iran to invade Iraq to retaliate against us for allowing Israel to attack them.  It would be a great way to end the Iraqi insurgency and pull out as Iraq falls into another 8 year war with Iran, if it looks to be leaning towards the Iranian side we could level the playing field and make it even again until both sides are exhausted and dont want to fight anybody for a while.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:05:55 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I quite frankly think Israel may just pass this time on Netanyahu and stick with Sharon’s plan and new party. I believe the Israeli public has decided as did Sharon the settlements outside the wall are not sustainable and will vote that way.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:11:17 AM EDT
[#21]
The Iranian oil bourse is also set to begin trading in March...

Interesting quote I read today,

"Further to the East the Palistinians and Isrealis suddenly realize there are no great powers capable of intervening; this time the war will go to a conclusion. The remnants of Isreal, Jordan, Syria and Saudi Arabia are on the march. There are no jet planes, and little fuel for tanks. There will be no ammunition resupply, and the war will not end until it is fought with knives"

Lucifers Hammer, Larry Niven, 1977.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:40:27 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I think he deserves more respect than that--he got where he is the hard way, and has more than proved his mettle.  I'd suggest reading up on him a bit.

What he said.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top