Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2004 1:28:28 AM EDT
Is there an age in AZ that you have to be in order to work in a place with firearms(IE a gun store)?

I assume it would be 18 I just dont know if there would be any special circumstances involving it. Being 17 and a gun fanatic makes me wonder these things.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 1:34:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Dunno about AZ, but I would assume federal law says 21, because of selling laws, and insurance.  I imagine that its not laws restricting under-an-arbitrary-age people from working, its the goddamned liability insurance.  YOu cant sell cars under 18 (I think) and society views cars as less dangerous than guns.  You do the math.

The lawsuit if something happened involving someone selling something he cant buy by law would be so god-awful that you really dont want to think about it.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 1:36:21 AM EDT
[#2]
I have heard of kids working in famiily gun shops. I don't know if that means its legal, or if they were working under the table, or if their is an exception for family.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 1:42:48 AM EDT
[#3]
From ATF.gov:

(F4) May an employee of a licensed dealer, such as a manager or clerk, who is under 21 years of age, sell handguns and ammunition suitable for use in handguns for the licensee? [Back]

Yes, if the employee is not a prohibited person (e. g., a felon). However, to sell handguns, a person less than 18 years of age must have the prior written consent of a parent or guardian and the written consent must be in the person's possession at all times. Also, the parent or guardian giving the written consent may not be prohibited by law from possessing a firearm. [18 U. S. C. 922( x)]

I think I have an idea for a job when I'm in college.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 10:21:13 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
From ATF.gov:

(F4) May an employee of a licensed dealer, such as a manager or clerk, who is under 21 years of age, sell handguns and ammunition suitable for use in handguns for the licensee? [Back]

Yes, if the employee is not a prohibited person (e. g., a felon). However, to sell handguns, a person less than 18 years of age must have the prior written consent of a parent or guardian and the written consent must be in the person's possession at all times. Also, the parent or guardian giving the written consent may not be prohibited by law from possessing a firearm. [18 U. S. C. 922( x)]

I think I have an idea for a job when I'm in college.

So as long as Mommy and Daddy say you can play with the guns and you havent gotten your ass in jail yet....

I am happy today.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top