Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/6/2002 3:34:50 PM EDT
Someone just called me about a job interview.  Assuming they don't call and cancel, Wednesday will be my second job interview since April 2001.

Un-f*cking-believable.
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 7:13:06 PM EDT
[#1]
recession?  naaaaaaa.  [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 7:23:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Someone just called me about a job interview.  Assuming they don't call and cancel, Wednesday will be my second job interview since April 2001.

Un-f*cking-believable.
View Quote

I had one each Thursday, Friday and today in Detroit. The part that sucks the most is they are multi part interviews and I currently live in TN.
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 7:26:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Un-f*cking-believable.
View Quote

JC what line of work are you in ?
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 7:38:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I was outta work for 2 months.  
Took a 20K base pay cut just to get back in the game.  Now I'm going to be traveling a bunch. That sux.  The upside looks pretty good financially.
I was a telecom engineer.  Now I am selling telemetry services.
Keep your chin up.   Something paletable will come along.  It goes without saying, your  job is finding a job.
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 8:04:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 8:40:04 PM EDT
[#6]
I guess this is a place that I could mention I know of an office that is hiring in New Mexico for sales people in real estate.

Worth looking into if you live in Albquerque or close to it.
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 9:46:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Congrats on the interview call! [bounce]

Good luck mon!
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 10:17:33 PM EDT
[#8]
I have had no interviews in 8 months. I saw a thing on the news about new college grad job interviews becoming very scarce. No one is hiring, everyone is firing, oh excuse me- downsizing.

Thank you FDCGHs, the economy couldn't have done it without you.
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 1:02:55 AM EDT
[#9]
I consider my self very lucky, I have a job where I will never get laid off and there is no such thing as slow time due to the economy. I work in a childrens hospital as Respiratory Therapist. The money is not the greatest but I keep food in the fridge and I pay my bills and I really dont have a hard time buying ammo, and thats the important thing. I could not imagine what it would be like to out of a job. Hang in there guys.
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 1:03:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Well, they didn't cancel -- thanks for the good-luck wishes, looks like they helped.  Four hours of grilling went ok;  now I just have to wait until they're done interviewing the other 20 candidates for the one position. . . .

Phil, I am a software engineer.  Or perhaps that should be past tense, or at least subjunctive.

A headhunter I trust says that software hiring really is picking up again around Seattle.  There may be hope.  [red]Imbro and Ilikelegs[/red], maybe try sending your resumes to a few places up here, especially if you're Microsoft C++ types.  (UNIX/C++ types have very limited demand in Microsoft's front yard, unfortunately.)

Good luck to you folks too!
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 10:17:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have had no interviews in 8 months. I saw a thing on the news about new college grad job interviews becoming very scarce. No one is hiring, everyone is firing, oh excuse me- downsizing.

Thank you FDCGHs, the economy couldn't have done it without you.
View Quote

The PC term for downsizing is--rightsizing.
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 1:42:21 AM EDT
[#12]
It's "rightsizing" when you end up still having a job.  When you're unemployed, the term is "economic depression".

Finally heard back today (ok, it's after midnight, so "yesterday").

They had a meeting and were told that due to budgetary concerns, they aren't hiring anyone, and are going to do a "reorg" (read:  laying off).  Not only did I not get the job, nobody else did either.  I called the techie who interviewed me just to check, and he joked that he'd be sending me his resume when he got home.

So, I guess the [s]depression[/s]recession isn't over after all.
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 2:48:03 AM EDT
[#13]
I have been on a couple of interviews in the month since I moved back to my home town. (I work in systems administration).  So that is encouraging.  At least I'm getting some phone calls returned again, for a while I was sending out resumes to every compatible job available in Chicagoland (Which was a pathetically small amount with the economy) and I don't think I got a single return call.  No wait, I did get one, two months after I sent in my resume and had already moved.

So, things seem to picking up a little, I hope it picks up a whole lot more.  Three of four years ago I could spend a week looking followed by almost a solid week of interviews.  I wish it was still like that.

Mike

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top