Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/8/2003 9:14:47 AM EDT
I just got a mailing from them today titled:

[b]URGENT NRA BULLETIN MEDIA MONOPOLY ALERT[/B]

asking to sends some pre addressed post cards to people on the FCC commission

seems some rule changes are on the horizon that would allow "big media" to get monopoly ownership of local markets

from the NRA: [/quote]if that happens, your NRA would face a disastrous situation where -- in a political crisis -- a small group of top media executives could literally silence your NRA and prevent us from communicating with your fellow Americans by refusing to sell us television, radio, or newspaper advertising at any price[/quote]

thoughts?

Link Posted: 5/8/2003 9:28:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Listen, the FCC is a joke.  They don't regulate well, and during the Clinton administration, basically [i]gave[/i] away some licenses to big business.

The renewal of the licenses of the big three networks are NEVER in doubt, no matter what kind of debate there is in the period while a license is up for renewal.

If they would get someone in there (nonpolitical), that would crack down on some of the nonsense going on at these networks and threaten to not renew their license maybe things would be different, but I doubt it.  The big networks like NBC hire lobbyists in Washington and have many lawyers to fight any attempt to take their licenses away.

Right now most high profile media people are anti-gun and that is not likely to change in the near future.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top