Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/15/2005 8:18:55 PM EDT
Know your enemy.....

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=132x2010873

(email from Chuck Schumer)

I believe that now, more than ever, the Senate is all that prevents the Republicans from undoing so many of the social advances we hold dear. Winning the Senate in 2006 is the crucial first step to taking our country back from the right-wing forces that currently control Washington.

Right now, we are six seats away from taking back the Senate. That means that we have to win six states. It is in those key states that the DSCC will make the difference. Some of those battlegrounds are obvious - Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Ohio - but for the other states we'll have to win, we are creating the opportunities.

To help you understand the foundation for this long, tough campaign, I asked the DSCC to prepare this new interactive campaign map that shows you the important Senate races we will contest in 2006.

Because we are successfully defending our Democratic incumbents, we will have far more energy to devote to toppling top Republican targets. Sitting Republican senators across the country are vulnerable in 2006 because they have supported George Bush's over-reaching right-wing agenda. To capitalize on this opportunity, I have been talking to political leaders across the nation, poring over all the research and polling data and crisscrossing the country to talk directly to voters. In state after state, I have recruited committed Democratic candidates that put us in the best position to win.

For example, I personally recruited Bob Casey because I know he is the best Democratic candidate to beat Rick Santorum in 2006. Casey now has the strongest poll numbers of any Senate challenger in the country, Democrat or Republican. Keystone State voters are ready to reject Santorum for putting right-wing causes ahead of mainstream Pennsylvania priorities. The DSCC has already been working daily with the Casey campaign to develop world-class fundraising and message strategies.

Other Republican incumbents across the country are worried about the mounting Democratic trends. In Rhode Island, I know we can beat Sen. Lincoln Chafee because he has consistently supported the far right agenda in Washington after casting himself as a moderate back home. I will make sure we have the tools and resources we will need to beat Chafee in November.

But that's not all. The Democratic gains in last week's special Congressional election in Ohio give me confidence that we can beat Sen. Mike DeWine in 2006. Just this week, the DSCC teamed up with the Montana State Democratic Party to put the heat on Sen. Conrad Burns over his close ties to embattled lobbyist Jack Abramoff, an associate of Tom DeLay.

The bottom line is that if we work together, we can win back the Senate. It won't be easy, and we'll have to get some breaks along the way, but I'm confident that we can win in November 2006.

I took this job because the DSCC plays a special role in Senate elections. We are the only organization that coordinates directly with every Democratic campaign and donates large sums of money directly to the candidates. We are the only organization with the national scope to know when and where to put our resources so they will have the most impact.

I know what it takes to win. I won my last election in New York with 71% of the vote and more than 40% of Republicans, all without forsaking my Democratic values. I am going to share my formula of success with every Democratic Senate candidate across the country.

I'm doing things differently at the DSCC this cycle. We will only expend our resources directly on the races we can win. I won't give a dime to campaigns that do not have the tools and staff they need to build a successful campaign infrastructure. Our strategy is to win elections and take our country back by putting resources in the states that will do the most good. We're not about protesting, we're about winning.

There will be Senate races in 33 states next year, and we need to pick up six seats to take back the Senate. I will be watching each and every race to determine precisely where and when our resources will help Democratic candidates win. The DSCC will run the smartest and nimblest campaigns our party has ever seen. I am committed to winning the Senate in 2006 and putting a stop to the right-wing takeover in Washington.

Sincerely,

Chuck Schumer
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:22:01 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:23:03 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Specop_007:

The plan to win back the Senate in 2006

I thought this was a thread about how we REPUBLICANS were going to win back the Senate!

(hey, it's not like we really control congress......)
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:31:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/15/2005 8:32:59 PM EDT by AR15fan]
It doesnt seem to matter who controls the seate. The Republicrats have control of the Senate, Congress, and Whitehouse and instead of passing worthwhile reform they are pissing away their victory while the clock runs out.

Gas prices are still out of control.
The Border is still wide open.

At least the africans got their condoms and the elderly got their Rx drug welfare.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:38:10 PM EDT
Dont they have the Ohio senators in everything but name? Ditto RI and ME.
Top Top