Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/17/2003 5:22:01 PM EDT
This popped into my head while walking home. Hopefully the answer isn't stuck inside that huge thread, so I won't look more foolish than I normally do.

Anyway, if the Machine Gun ban has been overturned by the 9th because the HOME MADE manufacture of MG's doesn't effect interstate commerce (which is how they managed to regulate the things in the first place), well isn't the Assault Weapons Ban worded the same way? Regulated through commerce?

So, wouldn't the manufacture of a HOME MADE Assault Weapon, well, that wouldn't effect interstate commerce of AW's to any more degree than a MG would, aye? Granted I think you'd have to have somebody get arrested for having a home made AW first.

Anyway, this just popped into my head, thought I'd post it. Maybe in a year it won't be an issue anyway.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 5:25:29 PM EDT
[#1]
It only takes one ruling to change it and the ATF doesnt enforce court decsions, they enforce the written law. I wouldnt tempt fate.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 6:01:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Not the AWB, Unless you plan on making your own flash surpressor, lug, and threading the barrel yourself; and by yourself, I mean no spending extra cash of any sort for this particular project.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 6:56:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I had another thought about the 922(o) ruling and the AWB.

It's pretty tin-foil but what the hell.

99% of the sheep think that "Assault Weapon" == Machine Gun.

What happens if the 922(o) ruling starts to get some mainstream press.

"The 9th Circut ruled today that ordinary people can bulid their own machine guns.  Film at 11."

Bastards like Fineswine and Chuckie start beating the drum about renewing the AWB and through their usual FUD again confuse the issue and make it sound like the AWB has something to do with machine guns.  Hey, it's a no-brainer since almost everyone thinks that a SAR, FAL or AR is one anyway.

Could this thing blow up in our faces?

Yes, YOU AND I know that MG's are covered under NFA 34 and the 89 ban but NO ONE "OUT THERE" DOES.  Hell, 99.9% of "mainstream sportsmen" (ie duck/deer/trap/skeet types) have no fucking clue either.

To quote Han Solo... I've got a BAD feeling about this.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 9:04:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Lessee it's the 9th Circus, and all we usually see around here is that they are a bunch of liberal turkeys that never get anything right and they are the most overturned circuit in the country.

Why are you giving them any more credibility on this than they get on anything else??

A definite "Wait and SEEEEE" is necessary on this one.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 9:49:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Oh, I agree that the 9th will probably be overturned like they always are.

It just that the anti's have NEVER let FACTS stand in the way of a good disinformation campaign.  I was just putting myself in their head for a moment (yuck, shudder) and seeing how they might use this to their advantage.

I'm sure that somewhere there must be a lot of anti's close to having a stroke over this one.

Not that I'm complaining about that you understand.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top