Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/12/2011 2:45:37 PM EST
I know folks in Japan are going through a lot. I know that I shouldn't be selfish.

However... this situation has derailed nuclear power in this country for at least 2 decades.

Just see if I'm wrong.

And that pisses me off. Another opportunity is going to slip right through our fingers.

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 2:47:49 PM EST
Unfortunately correct.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 2:49:53 PM EST
[Last Edit: 3/12/2011 2:50:28 PM EST by GrasshopperNOmore]
For some reason I really don't see this hurting nuclear power in our country. A lot of libs realize nuke plants are pretty green, and are worth the "risk".
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 2:50:08 PM EST
Right now as I'm typing this there are two new reactors Southern Company is building at plant Votgle.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 2:53:50 PM EST

Originally Posted By GrasshopperNOmore:
For some reason I really don't see this hurting nuclear power in our country. A lot of libs realize nuke plants are pretty green, and are worth the "risk".

Turn on the tv....switch to any of the MSM's...CNN Fox MSNBC etc....your thoughts couldn't be further from reality with what the libs think.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 2:53:54 PM EST
we just got our 20 year extension from the NRC this week.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 2:54:48 PM EST
[Last Edit: 3/12/2011 2:58:13 PM EST by SuperJanitor]
We were just talking about the same thing at the Tea Party meeting this morning. We need nukes. We need to free ourselves from foreign energy. The small risks are well worth the overall benefit.

ETA, I live about 3 miles from a coal plant, but would be just as happy if it was a nuke. The redundancy built into these new nuclear plants is nothing short of spectacular.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 2:55:16 PM EST
[Last Edit: 3/12/2011 2:55:29 PM EST by Tekka]
It doesn't have to be that way. We can win and force stupid people to accept nuke plants.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 2:58:29 PM EST
Originally Posted By fivepointoh:

Turn on the tv....switch to any of the MSM's...CNN Fox MSNBC etc....your thoughts couldn't be further from reality with what the libs think.

Maybe. I live in a pretty liberal area, and most argue for more nuclear power. Perhaps I have experienced an exception to the rule...? I dont know.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 3:02:01 PM EST
A gentleman at the meeting was talking about breeder reactors. If what he says is true, we can re-use spent fuel rods almost indefinately. Why the hell are we not doing this????
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 3:02:15 PM EST

Maybe. I live in a pretty liberal area, and most argue for more nuclear power. Perhaps I have experienced an exception to the rule...? I dont know.

I think you are actually living in a parallel universe if they think that.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 3:10:36 PM EST
Originally Posted By SuperJanitor:
A gentleman at the meeting was talking about breeder reactors. If what he says is true, we can re-use spent fuel rods almost indefinately. Why the hell are we not doing this????

Jimmy Carter
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 3:15:24 PM EST
[Last Edit: 3/12/2011 3:17:16 PM EST by SuperJanitor]
Originally Posted By Silence:

Jimmy Carter

Yeah, 3 Mile Island, yada, yada. We learned a lot from those mistakes. If nukes are so bad, why has the Navy been successfully using them for over 50 years??? We gotta stop this stinking thinking.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 3:16:43 PM EST

Originally Posted By Frank_The_Tank:

I think you are actually living in a parallel universe if they think that.

Same here. I live 20 minutes from downtown Chicago....def. not the norm here...
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 3:19:35 PM EST

Jimmy Carter

Yeah, 3 Mile Island, yada, yada. We learned a lot from those mistakes. If nukes are so bad, why has the Navy been successfully using them for over 50 years??? We gotta stop this stinking thinking.

The father of the Navy's nuclear power program, Rickover himself, saw nuclear power as useful only in certain applications. He wasn't in favor of widespread nuclear power usage.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 4:35:54 PM EST

Jimmy Carter

Actually he signed the breeder ban a couple of years before 3MI, it was part of his "non-proliferation" strategy.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 4:39:34 PM EST

Jimmy Carter

Actually he signed the breeder ban a couple of years before 3MI, it was part of his "non-proliferation" strategy.

Yeah, I was just a little shaver then. What a dumbass.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 4:44:09 PM EST
What everyone must realize is that the Japanese plants that are having problems are a 40 year old design built on the coast in a very seismically active region.

New designs are safer and we have enough area that we don't have to build in earthquake zones.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 5:08:35 PM EST
The only thing "nuclear" we'll have in this country for the next 20 years... is stupidity.

Not sure if serious, but initial observation apparently confirmed:

Few minutes ago CNN TV news had the "weather man" [honest injun] explaining what is meant by a "melt down", using visual aids. He was using a big diagram of a PWR schematic, even though the Fukushami is BWR. Also he had a word chart that defined the phrase, but he realized it did not fit the current hysteria, so added verbally, "then it melts through, blows out, and contaminates everything".

Next was Bill Nye explaining the presense of Cesium137, Iodine131, and Strontium90 in the nuclear fuel, but was cut off mid-lecture by a live report totally unrelated.

I suppose this is the week-end crew both in front of and behind the camera?
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 5:11:34 PM EST

Plenty of places in this country without earthquakes, tornadoes or hurricanes. That's one big advantage that we have over Japan. Open land.

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 5:19:25 PM EST
Last summer sunk domestic oil drilling. Hell, the Obongo's even ignored a court order to allow permits to drill to be issued after the ban's expiration.

Japan just sunk nuclear power.

Now we can all live like the dirt-people have always wanted: about 1880'ish year-wise, all unhappy, all sweaty and freezing (depending on season) while on a vegetarian diet.

They know better after all. Last summer and now Japan are our "payback".
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 5:55:29 AM EST
Originally Posted By ABNAK:
Last summer sunk domestic oil drilling. Hell, the Obongo's even ignored a court order to allow permits to drill to be issued after the ban's expiration.

Now we can all live like the dirt-people have always wanted: about 1880'ish year-wise, all unhappy, all sweaty and freezing (depending on season) while on a vegetarian diet.

"Never let a good crisis go to waste"

The plan all along by the so called "progressives" is to destroy the middle class. Controlling the energy sector makes that easier.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 6:05:04 AM EST
Thing is, new nuclear plant designs are SAFE.

Hell, a pebble bed reactor CAN'T melt down, and there are other designs that will automatically safe themselves in the event of an accident.

Those reactors in Japan are OLD.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 6:08:20 AM EST
It was already Derailed by Obama and his Greenies. I would not be surprised if it is 40 years before serious talks of new nuke plants occur.

Impeach Obama for the Good of the Environment.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 6:11:54 AM EST
Same thing was pretty much what my friend whos a Senior Reactor Operator at the local plant said.. the shitstorm to come will be bigger than the 8.9 quake that caused it all.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 6:13:07 AM EST

Originally Posted By runcible:
I know folks in Japan are going through a lot. I know that I shouldn't be selfish.

However... this situation has derailed nuclear power in this country for at least 2 decades.

Just see if I'm wrong.

And that pisses me off. Another opportunity is going to slip right through our fingers.

Yup...you are right. The lefty green whack-jobs will use this to wreck any chance we had of implementing a rational, sensible and effective energy policy in America.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 6:14:27 AM EST
Originally Posted By ABNAK:

Uh, we can't grow enough vegetables to feed the current population without Oil.

Impeach Obama for the Good of the Vegetarians.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 6:15:30 AM EST
If Japan can keep the core of the reactors contained, it will not be so terrible. It could even be argued that the worst earthquake in history was sustained.

There'll be more nuclear power plants in the US because of the market's huge demand for affordable energy.

IF Japan winds up with a full core melt-down, the US nuclear energy program will be way down the list of our concerns
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 6:18:42 AM EST
The only thing "nuclear" we'll have in this country for the next 20 years... is stupidity.

With the majority of Americans thinking at a 4th grade level.

With the Liberal media promoting the Green agenda.

I believe you are correct.

UNTIL.......peoples lights go out!

We ARE a Nation of Sheeple !!!

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 6:42:52 AM EST

Just see if I'm wrong.

I thought this initially, but having read about the Japanese reactors, the one currently having the most difficulty is 40yrs old, so the technology is "old". Having said that, I think the envrioterrorists (EPA) and other usual suspects, will certainly try to use the current situation to try and derail any hope of pursuing nuclear power here, but I think you'll find calmer heads will prevail, it may set us off by a couple years, but with Dems so fucking opposed to coal/oil, and with the whole "Wind powered" crap going South in terms of performance, we've got no choice but to go nuclear if they want to ween us off coal/oil.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 6:57:02 AM EST
From some poster at slashdot.

http://hardware.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=2035046&cid=35471094

"Imagine you live in Rome. You are a civil engineer, in charge of building the first bridge. You build it the best you can, based on observing trees that fall across small streams. It is very dangerous, but effective for a few years. Several other people copy your design and build their own bridges using tree trunks.
Meanwhile, someone else looks at your design and determines the bridge could be built much safer if you use an ads to flatten out the top, so that people can walk on the flat area, and some ropes along the sides at hand level let people keep their balance. You try it out and find it works very well. Meanwhile, people all over Rome are falling off the "Gen 1" bridges. People protest bridges to the Roman Senate and elect people who won't allow new bridges to be built, even with the safety features.

To make matters worse, the existing bridges are now rotting. Several bridges have fallen into the creeks and many are too fragile to let more than one person across at a time. The tree bark, which provided at least some grip for people using the bridges is now gone, and when it rains the bridges are incredibly slippery. The Roman Senate funds a study to look into building "Gen 3" bridges. The engineers come back with designs for stone bridges, using the latest in geometry (the arch). The engineering community thinks this bridge will last for years, be incredibly strong and safe. But because the public has such a bad memory of the existing bridges, they want nothing to do with them. Meanwhile they demand the Senate fund more ferryboats for river crossings."

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:38:28 AM EST

Right now, breeders are very expensive to operate. Uranium is far cheaper than running a breeder.

So, the answer is short term economics.

I would like to know if breeding is a one shot deal. In other words, we can reprocess the fuel we have from conventional reactors, but I don't know if by running conventional reactors, how much potential fuel was lost that we would have gotten from breeding.

The breeders turn U-238 which isn't fuel and is 99.3% of all natural uranium into fuel. A conventional reactor does breed some fuel, but I don't know if a lot of the U-238 is destroyed by fission reactions from ever becoming fuel where as a breeder saves most of it.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:40:08 AM EST

Jimmy Carter
He was responisble for ending reprocessing from conventional reactors.

Since the "spent" fuel is stored on-site at reactors, this can be un-done and I don't think we have lost anything.

Breeder's have been hard to operate.

We need to do more research on them to make them work.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:40:13 AM EST

Just see if I'm wrong.

Why should proof of the dangers inherent with the technology piss you off?
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:57:19 AM EST
Nuclear power won't stop.

Look at what happen in Japan. A Nuclear Power Facility suffered one of the strongest recorded earthquakes for the region, a Tsunami that followed, catastrophic failure of the redundant safety systems (off site power, on site power, lose of pressure control), and the damn thing is still contained, and it is being controlled.

This is a 40 year old BWR that was retrofitted to run longer than the original 30 year projected service life the designers spec'd. IT STILL CONTAINED and is 'safe'.

What more do you want, do we need to bomb the damn thing too now?

If anything this is a testament to the original design and how well it was done. Now throw into the mix new PWR passive design that doesn't need as much control. Personally, unless there is a push for Natural gas fired plants in the US, we are going Nuclear... finally (welcome to the late 20th century USA.)
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:59:20 AM EST
Originally Posted By Cpt_Kirks:
Thing is, new nuclear plant designs are SAFE.

Hell, a pebble bed reactor CAN'T melt down, and there are other designs that will automatically safe themselves in the event of an accident.

Those reactors in Japan are OLD.

Same with a Thorium-breeding LFTR.... Impossible to melt down.

If this happened to a LFTR the power shutdown would turn off the helium freeze plug and it'd harmlessly drain into a subcritical storage tank. Even if the fuel salt ruptured it would b much of a problem, just put it back in...

Derailing the entire nuclear industry because it took a fucking MASSIVE earthquake + Tsunami to get a 40+ year old Gen 1 reactor to crap out. (as opposed to shitty Soviet RBMK reactors of the people's glorious revolution) is like outlawing all airliners because a 40 year old DC-10 crashed.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:01:54 AM EST
Originally Posted By Dlfleetw:

Look at what happen in Japan. A Nuclear Power Facility suffered one of the strongest recorded earthquakes for the region, a Tsunami that followed, catastrophic failure of the redundant safety systems (off site power, on site power, lose of pressure control), and the damn thing is still contained, and it is being controlled.

This is a 40 year old BWR that was retrofitted to run longer than the original 30 year projected service life the designers spec'd. IT STILL CONTAINED and is 'safe'.

If anything this is a testament to the original design and how well it was done. Now throw into the mix new PWR passive design that doesn't need as much control. Personally, unless there is a push for Natural gas fired plants in the US, we are going Nuclear... finally (welcome to the late 20th century USA.)

+1.

This isn't a shitty Soviet RMBK.

We should be building conventional nukes by the butload until we get LFTRs online.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:03:58 AM EST

Originally Posted By BuckMKII:
Right now as I'm typing this there are two new reactors Southern Company is building at plant Votgle.

And I'm building them, along with two at VC Summers and two at South Texas Project
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:09:30 AM EST
Sorry, the disaster in Japan convinced me too - we shouldn't build any more 40 year old reactors, we should build some of those fancy new model Canadian reactors
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:11:16 AM EST

Just see if I'm wrong.

That too is my major concern.

I have been putting out fires about "OMFG END OF THE WORLD NUKE PLANT" for the last 2-3 years. All my hard work in my small sphere of influence, gone.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:37:34 AM EST
thorium FTW
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 9:56:52 AM EST

The roof literally blew off the building. If you think thats safe, I dunno....doesn't sound safe to me.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 9:58:42 AM EST
Originally Posted By tc556guy:

The roof literally blew off the building. If you think thats safe, I dunno....doesn't sound safe to me.

If it was unsafe, the whole of Japan would likely be experiencing toxic levels of radiation. I fail to see how it has proven to be a significant risk, even with the amount of catastrophic failure it's had due to "acts of God."

A new plant in the middle of Utah or Wyoming isn't going to have to worry about tsunamis or earth quakes, or any other kind of natural disaster.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 10:04:44 AM EST
At least the news media is talking about something other than Charlie Sheen and Lindsey Lohan.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 10:07:07 AM EST
[Last Edit: 3/13/2011 3:07:45 PM EST by Houstons_Problem]

Originally Posted By tc556guy:

That's because you don't understand what you are looking at. Sort of like someone who see's a dead man and a man holding a gun next to him and automatically assumes the man holding the gun is a murderer rather than someone who stopped a violent criminal.

Check out this thread and you will learn a lot. Plenty of pictures showing that the roof is not part of the containment.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=1160958&page=2&#27399265
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 4:25:03 PM EST
I dunno, the idea that SO MANY Nuclear Power Plants are going down, over one disaster.... is kind of scary.
This event really challenged my opinion of Nuclear Power being "safe". Some of these plants that are supposedly going critical, weren't even hit by Tsunamis, IIRC.

Then theres the fact that the worst case scenario calls for almost 1/8th of a hemisphere to be affected.... according to that Fallout projection map... I dunno, something with the capability to destroy an entire country,... and all it needs is a bad earthquake?

Don't get me wrong guys. I want to be wrong. I want to be proven wrong... but the idea that a NPP in Japan, can POTENTIALLY cause dangerous radiation to spill over into half the US, makes me really REALLY worried about it. IF the NPP were in CA, it would destroy ALL of the USA.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 4:27:24 PM EST
I think a lot of what people are seeing put out by the media coupled with their complete lack of knowledge when it comes to Power Plants in general including an even smaller amount of knowledge about Nukes leads to knee jerk reactions. The pressure vessel that contains the reactor is Feet of Steel. Weighs 800+ Tons. If that were to 'burst' there'd be a rather large plume/cloud and utter destruction around the site. That would also require no venting of the gases to occur before failure (Watch the Mythbusters on exploding water heaters and add many orders of magnitude to the result.)

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 4:31:17 PM EST
Originally Posted By PatriotAr15:
I dunno, the idea that SO MANY Nuclear Power Plants are going down, over one disaster.... is kind of scary.
This event really challenged my opinion of Nuclear Power being "safe". Some of these plants that are supposedly going critical, weren't even hit by Tsunamis, IIRC.

Then theres the fact that the worst case scenario calls for almost 1/8th of a hemisphere to be affected.... according to that Fallout projection map... I dunno, something with the capability to destroy an entire country,... and all it needs is a bad earthquake?

Don't get me wrong guys. I want to be wrong. I want to be proven wrong... but the idea that a NPP in Japan, can POTENTIALLY cause dangerous radiation to spill over into half the US, makes me really REALLY worried about it. IF the NPP were in CA, it would destroy ALL of the USA.

For those sites to go critical, melt down, and then vent enough material (radiation doesn't just leak that far) into a cloud without somebody dumping half of the Sea of Japan, Boric Acid, and whatever else they can find to get cooling going would require a nonresponse by the facility. 40 year old Japanese BWR's do not equal Chernobyl.. The Japanese aren't going to let a plant melt down and throw a cloud of radioactive gas around the world.. you can retard the process enough to call for help..
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 4:40:48 PM EST

For those sites to go critical, melt down, and then vent enough material (radiation doesn't just leak that far) into a cloud without somebody dumping half of the Sea of Japan, Boric Acid, and whatever else they can find to get cooling going would require a nonresponse by the facility. 40 year old Japanese BWR's do not equal Chernobyl.. The Japanese aren't going to let a plant melt down and throw a cloud of radioactive gas around the world.. you can retard the process enough to call for help..
How much land around these reactors, is going to be "condemned" for the foreseeable future, however?

But either way, the fact is... worst case scenario... these NPPs could destroy half our country... Are those projections possible? If an NPP, only endangers maybe 50 miles in any direction... then I'm ok with that risk. However, destroying an entire super continent? That's a risk that is way too high.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 4:50:30 PM EST
How far is a question of what actually gets out when/ if it fails. Small particle steam... it would have to remain concentrated in order to cause a long lasting issue. It is going to disperse, but again they would have to just not do anything in order for that to happen. They have access to basically infinite thermal sink in the ocean. Dumping huge amounts of ocean water mitigates the production of the steam to carry the radioactive particles. Beyond that, I still stand by the facilities and the designs. To put it bluntly they survived the worst possible thing that could happen and are controlling them. Those plants may need to be shut down, but again the site were controlled and safety was maintained (radiation takes a Large AND fast dose for it to cause damage) to an extent that is acceptable to me (but I deal with radiation everyday...)

Speaking to actual dispersal.. not my line of work, I do not believe though (opinion) there would be enough material released to do a 'nuclear cloud' scenario.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 5:28:00 PM EST

How much land around these reactors, is going to be "condemned" for the foreseeable future, however?

But either way, the fact is... worst case scenario... these NPPs could destroy half our country... Are those projections possible? If an NPP, only endangers maybe 50 miles in any direction... then I'm ok with that risk. However, destroying an entire super continent? That's a risk that is way too high.

That map is fake. It isn't a projection. If it were real, it would mean everyone in the yellow area would die.

At Three mile island the average dose to people living withing 10 miles of the plant was 8 millirem which is about 1 chest x-ray and no more than 100 millirem to any single individual. Background radiation is about 300 millirem in America.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top