Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/19/2005 2:01:28 AM EDT

Rita is expected to become a hurricane today and will likely become a major hurricane later in the week. I would not be surprised to see it landfall somewhere near Corpus Christi as a Category 3 or larger storm, although it could easily hit anywhere between Brownsville and New Orleans depending on specific path.

The last thing our country needs right now is another multi billion dollar disaster. But depending on where this hurricane goes, that could happen again. It certainly has the potential to get very strong out in those warm Gulf waters that have been relatively undisturbed since Katrina.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 2:17:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Damn.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 2:19:54 AM EDT
[#2]
As you can see, I hate Hurricanes!

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 2:27:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Well, I guess I better just break out the sleeping bag. Cause I got a feeling I'll be sleeping at the pohlice station for a while......we have not had a hurricane hit us in our part of Texas in almost 20 years. The statistical odds are against us.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:12:08 AM EDT
[#4]
What are the odds this thing will move ashore near Houston and affect the thousands who were displaced from Louisiana who are now staying there?

That would be cruel, being affected by two hurricanes in less than a month.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:47:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:22:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Crap. There goes another fishing trip.  Plus, I'll have to go get mom and bring her here.  

Don't worry, you won't see another Katrina out of this, Texans aren't stupid enought to build below sea level.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:24:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Great surfing this week. Loading up the board and heading to Galveston
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:27:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Lovely Rita,
Meter Maid,
Where would I be without her....

Oh. A hurricane.

Heading right for the gulf coast again?

Holy crap!

Either these folks have terrible luck, awful Karma, or God is ticked off at them.

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:28:08 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Crap. There goes another fishing trip.  Plus, I'll have to go get mom and bring her here.  

Don't worry, you won't see another Katrina out of this, Texans aren't stupid enought to build below sea level.  

I dunno.

Moly Ivans is from Texas.

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:49:02 AM EDT
[#10]
I predict Rita to take a hard right turn to the north just about the time she reaches NO aa well as become a Cat-5 Hurri and finish off what Katrina failed to do...
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:52:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Damn. Dove season opens this weekend and it's looking like it's going to hit exactly where we were going.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:03:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Yeah, well before it goes into the Gulf, it has to cross our path down here in South Florida.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:27:32 AM EDT
[#13]
don't we have a bunch of oil refineries in and around the Texas coast??

DD
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:41:08 AM EDT
[#14]
yes sir there is alot of rerfining goin on along the coast. watch for the amazing price hike!
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:44:50 AM EDT
[#15]
GOD DAMN SON_OF_A_BITCH I'M GONNA PUT A BOOT IN MOTHER NATURES ASS

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:59:09 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Galvenston
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:00:48 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
yes sir there is alot of rerfining goin on along the coast. watch for the amazing price hike!

Start stocking up ahead of the rush...
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:07:53 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Uhhh, I guess you've never been to Texas City.  Right?  
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:09:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Hell yes...some much needed rain.  

I like stormy weather.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:10:54 AM EDT
[#20]
I guess I had better just give good old mother nature a big smile......since she is about to kick me in the teeth again.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:13:01 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Uhhh, I guess you've never been to Texas City.  Right?  

Yes,  but my understanding is that there and Galveston at AT sea level. Not up to 20 feet beneath it.  My mom's neighborhood for example is 15 feet higher than the bay.   Moot point really, since I'm not leaving here there if Rita heads her way.

Oh, and Molly Ivins is not claimed by Texans.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:27:27 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:30:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Great! We've just been put on Hurricane Warning.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:32:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:37:11 AM EDT
[#25]
The 11:00 EST update that I just saw has it aimed at Houston.  That's the bad news.  The good news is, it is only Monday.  We have 6 days for it to change.  How's that for thinking positive?  

ETA:  I can't type this morning.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:44:14 AM EDT
[#26]
Hurricane Rita to Katrina evacuees "You can run, but you can't hide...."  

Hold on for $4.00 gal gas and 125% increases for Natural Gas this winter
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:47:52 AM EDT
[#27]
They are talking about this on local radio and they just interviewed a meteorologist who believes that by Wednesday/Thursday, we'll be looking at a Cat 3 or 4. Unreal. Again, the last thing we need is another major disaster on the heels of another. But that looks to be just what is happening. With waters in the Gulf in the upper 80's as far as temps, this is just going to intensify. And quickly.

ETA....look like the forecast track has now shifted farther to the N and the bullseye is now on the Galveston/Houston area.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:52:00 AM EDT
[#28]
Major Nagin better get those school buses dried out and running, looks like he might need them.

Maybe this time evacuation will be a little more orderly.  My guess is the National Guard will put up with little crap from looters too.

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 11:02:02 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Major Nagin better get those school buses dried out and running, looks like he might need them.

Maybe this time evacuation will be a little more orderly.  My guess is the National Guard will put up with little crap from looters too.

Hell, as we speak, Nagin is trying to reopen the city so residents can start coming back in now!!!!

Bush has been on tv reminding Nagin that due to both the conditions there on the ground (no drinking water and unhealthy conditions) plus the looming threat of another powerful hurricane in the vicinity, that this is a very bad idea.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 11:16:19 AM EDT
[#30]
This is getting replayed more than "Fort Apache" on late night TV.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 11:23:39 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Bush has been on tv reminding Nagin that due to both the conditions there on the ground (no drinking water and unhealthy conditions) plus the looming threat of another powerful hurricane in the vicinity, that this is a very bad idea.

And yet the repopulation continues.  I guess Darwin's theories are still as valid as the day he penned them.  You can heal disease, but you can't cure stupidity.

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 11:30:26 AM EDT
[#32]
great i live north of houston, about 20 miles

i think for a cat 1,2 maybe even a 3 i will hang around, but a cat 4 or 5 comes i'm outta here, i about 100 ft above sea level, but i still don't wanna deal with all that rain and wind
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 11:39:29 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
GOD DAMN SON_OF_A_BITCH I'M GONNA PUT A BOOT IN MOTHER NATURES ASS

I think I see what your problem is.........
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 11:47:26 AM EDT
[#34]
tornadoes hate trailers.. they are always looking for and finding them...

hurricanes hate poor people..

last hurricane missed some juicy targets. they went to texas.. this hurricane is just following those folks...
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:51:31 PM EDT
[#35]
I say it ain't going to hit in Texas.   Texas voted for Bush and since the liberals say President Bush and Cheney brought Katrina to Louisiana they wouldn't dare bring Rita to Texas.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:07:54 PM EDT
[#36]
We live about 10 minutes from Galveston. Packed and ready to roll. Our house will not survive real wind. Still trying to figure out wtf to do with guns (really a serious problem) and how to fit the dogs in the van. Also found out my insurance company may file bankruptcy before the hurricane gets here
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:22:09 PM EDT
[#37]
I never imagined a Hurracaine could strike Florida, the carolinas, or the gulf coast.  Its a good thing nobody would be foolish enought to live there.

Why do people consult Carfax and edmunds before buying a car than cost 1/2 a years salary but they wont check weather trends before buying a home that takes 30 years to pay for?
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:31:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:35:01 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Well, I guess I better just break out the sleeping bag. Cause I got a feeling I'll be sleeping at the pohlice station for a while......we have not had a hurricane hit us in our part of Texas in almost 20 years. The statistical odds are against us.

I guess I'll be heading to Oklahoma.  

TEXAS FOLKS -  THERE ARE A LIMITED NUMBER OF ROUTES OUT OF HOUSTON - None of them are really built to handle the capacity of a mass evacuation (290, I-10, etc).  Plan accordingly, get out early.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:35:39 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Wasn't Galveston partly below sea level when it got nailed?
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:42:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:42:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Them New Orleans Refugees in the Astrodome are hurricane magnets --- send them far far away, and quick!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 11:36:55 PM EDT
[#43]
And if the hurricane itself isn't bad enough, we have imported a few thousand seasoned, veteran LOOTERS into our city. They are visitors here, with nothing (But Thier lives) to lose by raping Houston. It's about to get VERY interesting here.

Damn...

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 11:45:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 3:14:17 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Them New Orleans Refugees in the Astrodome are hurricane magnets --- send them far far away, and quick!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Send them to France.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 3:18:39 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
I never imagined a Hurracaine could strike Florida, the carolinas, or the gulf coast.  Its a good thing nobody would be foolish enought to live there.

Why do people consult Carfax and edmunds before buying a car than cost 1/2 a years salary but they wont check weather trends before buying a home that takes 30 years to pay for?

I have to take issue with you on that.

There is no such thing as a place safe from natural disaster. It isn't a matter of IF nature's wrath will be shown somewhere else, but WHEN.

I live in northwest Virginia and have for many years, and only recently did I discover that our city is built over a major fault line. I discovered this when we had an earthquake. My instant thought was "how can we have an earthquake here? This isn't Kalifornia...." A tornado descended on a Wal-Mart a few minutes away and shredded it not long after that.

There is no such thing as safe.

Stuff is going to happen. It just seems that in the last few years we have had more hurricanes than normal, more wildfires than normal, more tornadoes than normal, etc.

Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:51:48 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:55:19 AM EDT
[#48]
well, it's officially a cat 1 hurricane and it hasn't even hit the gulf yet...hope it takes a se course for ol' mejico...
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:12:26 AM EDT
[#49]
Like DVDTracker and Gloftoe, I'm in Austin. Official NWS forecast calls for tropical storm-force winds into central Texas. All of this is still highlysubject to change of course. At this point, I'm going on with life as normal and see what happens by Thursday. Even a small change in track can make a huge difference to Austin (if you're on the Western side of a system, you may get nothing).
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:20:31 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Yeah I know what you mean...

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top