Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/4/2001 11:32:52 AM EDT
I just got back from seeing Pearl Harbor.  It was good but I thought it played up the actions of some people who should have been seen in a different light.  
Anyway, near the end of the movie there is a scene where the nurses are having a medal pinned on them.  It appears that the medal is the Purple Heart.  Is this correct and if so, why are people who were not seemingly injured awarded a medal for being injured.
Thanks for the help.
Dittohd
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 11:39:22 AM EDT
[#1]
BTT
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 11:39:42 AM EDT
[#2]
I was probably Hollywood adding their own spin.
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 11:41:47 AM EDT
[#3]
I noticed that too. I thought, "what the heck is that all about".  Though the movie was so-so, typical hollywood drivel, not very historically accurate as compared with Tora Tora Tora.
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 11:49:16 AM EDT
[#4]
if you havent seen it, you may not want to read this...................
i thought they overglorified the "doolittle" raid of jap mainland. thay acted like it was the biggest victory in pacific and it won us the war. i dont belive that is accurate.
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 11:56:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
i thought they overglorified the "doolittle" raid of jap mainland. thay acted like it was the biggest victory in pacific and it won us the war. i dont belive that is accurate.
View Quote

Amen to that.  They should have presented it as what it was, a way to show the American public that Japan was not invincible and we could hit them just as easily as they hit us.
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 11:57:55 AM EDT
[#6]
The accuracy was a little shakey. The planes and guns were historically correct.  But some of the ships in the harbor were Agesis class ships.  Look at the prows and radar arrays.  They tried to digitally hide them but you could still tell. How does a fighter pilot checked to fly P-40s transition instantly to fly Spitfires and a  B-25. You dont have a newbie fly a B-25 off a 400 ft deck.  I guess they needed to keep the story going.

As for the nurses and their behavior that is historically correct. Cant trust anyone of them.  Soon as you turn around they are with someone else!  Personal experience.  She had no reason to think I was even dead!
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 12:05:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The accuracy was a little shakey. The planes and guns were historically correct.  But some of the ships in the harbor were Agesis class ships.  Look at the prows and radar arrays.  They tried to digitally hide them but you could still tell. How does a fighter pilot checked to fly P-40s transition instantly to fly Spitfires and a  B-25. You dont have a newbie fly a B-25 off a 400 ft deck.  I guess they needed to keep the story going.

View Quote

Weren't the real doolittle radiers a bomber outfit from Georga?  Not a mish mash unit of fighter pilots.
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 12:08:12 PM EDT
[#8]
From my understanding.  All the guys selected were experienced B-25 pilots.  Its not like driving a car.  Next thing you know the liberals and democrats are going to wonder why we need separate fighter and bomber pilots when they can do both like in the movie!
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 12:16:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
From my understanding.  All the guys selected were experienced B-25 pilots.  Its not like driving a car.  Next thing you know the liberals and democrats are going to wonder why we need separate fighter and bomber pilots when they can do both like in the movie!
View Quote

Or they will wonder why we train pilots at all?  If Tom Cruise, Alec Baldwin, and Ben Afleck can fly plains can't everyone?
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 1:48:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Can someone tell me if Alec Baldwin buys the farm? If so, I might go see it.

Wow, that was my 1000th post! How fitting. :)
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 1:52:36 PM EDT
[#11]
sorry mattja, his charicter is quite chessy though
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 4:05:47 PM EDT
[#12]
The Doolittle raid was very important, not only for the morale boost it gave our fighting men but for the message it sent to Japan. Without the Doolittle raid, the conduct of the war in the Pacific by the Japanese could have been much different and Midway might never have happened.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top