Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2005 5:58:51 AM EDT

In 2003, 6.9 million people were under some form of correctional supervision including:

Probation - court ordered community supervision of convicted offenders by a probation agency. In many instances, the supervision requires adherence to specific rules of conduct while in the community.

Prison - confinement in a State or Federal correctional facility to serve a sentence of more than 1 year, although in some jurisdictions the length of sentence which results in prison confinement is longer.

Jail - confinement in a local jail while pending trial, awaiting sentencing, serving a sentence that is usually less than 1 year, or awaiting transfer to other facilities after conviction.

Parole - community supervision after a period of incarceration. These data include only adults who are on active or inactive parole supervision or some other form of conditional release, including mandatory release, following a term of incarceration.

www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/glance/corr2.htm
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:04:46 AM EDT
[#1]
poor breeding habits  
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:09:09 AM EDT
[#2]
The way we're heading.........
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:43:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes the number of “people were under some form of correctional supervision” has been steadily increasing AND as a result crime rates have been correspondingly dropping.

The only problem with that chart is the prison and jail numbers should be higher.

It is just logical the more criminals in jail the less crime you will have.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 9:23:20 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Yes the number of “people were under some form of correctional supervision” has been steadily increasing AND as a result crime rates have been correspondingly dropping.

The only problem with that chart is the prison and jail numbers should be higher.

WORD!!
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 9:28:02 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

what's also logical is when prisons are run for a profit, more "criminals"will be created to keep that gap filled. reguardless of an actual crime being committed.

no way around it at this point.

Chris

Link Posted: 1/8/2005 9:31:06 AM EDT
[#6]
I never understand why liberals cry about how many people the US justice system locks up.  "How can we say we're a free country when we have the highest rate of incarceration in the world?"

Uhhhhh....

I dont understand that line of reasoning.  They're in jail because they broke the law and were found guilty in a trial.  Would you prefer to have them running around in the streets in order to spare you the shame of punishing criminals?  I dont get it.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 9:32:09 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
tinypic.com/178unk

In 2003, 6.9 million people were under some form of correctional supervision including:

Probation - court ordered community supervision of convicted offenders by a probation agency. In many instances, the supervision requires adherence to specific rules of conduct while in the community.

Prison - confinement in a State or Federal correctional facility to serve a sentence of more than 1 year, although in some jurisdictions the length of sentence which results in prison confinement is longer.

Jail - confinement in a local jail while pending trial, awaiting sentencing, serving a sentence that is usually less than 1 year, or awaiting transfer to other facilities after conviction.

Parole - community supervision after a period of incarceration. These data include only adults who are on active or inactive parole supervision or some other form of conditional release, including mandatory release, following a term of incarceration.

www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/glance/corr2.htm

More interesting facts here: Key Crime & Justice Facts at a Glance

-k
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 9:38:36 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I never understand why liberals cry about how many people the US justice system locks up.  "How can we say we're a free country when we have the highest rate of incarceration in the world?"

Uhhhhh....

I dont understand that line of reasoning.  They're in jail because they broke the law and were found guilty in a trial.  Would you prefer to have them running around in the streets in order to spare you the shame of punishing criminals?you mean like allowing murderers and rapists out to make room for the non violent drug offender?  I dont get it.me either

Link Posted: 1/8/2005 9:40:57 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

More interesting facts here: Key Crime & Justice Facts at a Glance

-k

Thanks for the link.  
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 5:51:23 PM EDT
[#10]
I was a corrections officer for 5 long miserable years (in Massachusetts of all places) where liberal policies include inmates.As far as I'm concerned we're not locking enough "people" up.

Semper Fi,
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 5:54:41 PM EDT
[#11]
There are alot more out there that should be locked up that arent, I think that probation used too much
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:03:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Per capita numbers might be more informative.  I wonder about changes in population and the demographics of the population over the 23 year period.  More illegals (sorry undocumented persons), but more older people too.  It would be interesting to see some cross correlation on pop and demographic changes and perhaps dollars spent on the "War on Drugs" as well.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top