Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/14/2004 8:56:15 AM EDT
the robot platform got me thinking of the movie. Wasn't there a scene where Bruce sprays something on a van door. Then the guy touches it ..it snaps and poisons him almost instantly? I've always wondered what that was. Some type of prussic acid? Thats the most instantly lethal stuff I'm aware of, but that needs to be breathed or injested?

Any idea?
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 9:07:42 AM EDT
[#1]
spook stuff
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 9:10:23 AM EDT
[#2]
No idea at all.
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 9:12:53 AM EDT
[#3]
It would have to be more along the lines of a Nerve Agent but spraying Nerve agent without some sort of protection is pure suicide but then again since when does Hollywood follow reality!
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 9:17:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Cooking spray (like PAM) that contains peanut oil. Deadly to people with allergies to peanuts.
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 9:17:32 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
It would have to be more along the lines of a Nerve Agent but spraying Nerve agent without some sort of protection is pure suicide but then again since when does Hollywood follow reality!

hehe..I think in the movie he puts a hankerchief over his nose and mouth...but your right...hollywood.

Usually though, they base crap like this on "something". The other thread just jogged my memory and I've wondered if this is based on reality.
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 9:22:20 AM EDT
[#6]
It was pork fat, the guy must have been Muslim.
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 9:34:59 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

hehe..I think in the movie he puts a hankerchief over his nose and mouth...but your right...hollywood.

Usually though, they base crap like this on "something". The other thread just jogged my memory and I've wondered if this is based on reality.

Actually VX would be perfect to spray down, it  has the viscosity of motor oil and doesn't give off alot of vapors.  It works mainly as a contact poison.  Still a hankerchief and no protective gear will spraying an aerosol is pure hollywood.  Still, more accurate than the move The Rock - I saw that movie with some techs and we  were laughing are asses off especially that intraCardiac Atropine injector!
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 10:56:50 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Actually VX would be perfect to spray down, it  has the viscosity of motor oil and doesn't give off alot of vapors.  It works mainly as a contact poison.  Still a hankerchief and no protective gear will spraying an aerosol is pure hollywood.  Still, more accurate than the move The Rock - I saw that movie with some techs and we  were laughing are asses off especially that intraCardiac Atropine injector!

How fast after contact does VX work...curious
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 11:01:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Quick, depending on some things like how damp your skin is and how much you got on you.  It wouldn't be but a minute or so before you started showing symptoms.

You could put VX on a door handle or something...especially if it were combined with some kind of agent to retard its already low evaporation rate.
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 11:10:20 AM EDT
[#10]
I saw what you are talking about. Bruce Willis pulled out a small aerosol can and sprayed the door handle on the rear of the van he was driving. All he had on was a pair of rubber gloves and he kind of turned his head and held his breath, very real, NOT.

The movie was kind of entertaining except for the part(s) where Willis was a rump ranger. That would have been better left out IMHO.
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 11:11:38 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
It was pork fat, the guy must have been Muslim.

Actually it was a compound known as FoHI*... this shit is pretty rare... only been used a few times beacause it works so fast.

*Figment of Hollywood Imagination
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 11:22:33 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How fast after contact does VX work...curious

Symptoms will appear within a few seconds after exposure to the vapor form of VX, and within a few minutes to up to 18 hours after exposure to the liquid form.
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 11:43:26 AM EDT
[#13]
I think if you actually TOUCHED liquid VX, you'd get muscle fasciculation and miosis pretty quickly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top