Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/5/2010 7:42:46 PM EDT
So what happened in the end?
Just saw this movie and after 2+ hours I was looking for something a little bit more definitive than me having to rely on my imagination to create a catharsis.

When the credits rolled I felt like I did in the theatre when I watched Pulp Fiction...basically, WTF?
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:44:59 PM EDT
[#1]
From what I got from just watching the trailer, Leo is the missing prisoner and he's crazy/it's all a dream but is it?

Probably wont see it. Is it good?
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:46:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Haven't seen it, but was told that he was crazy and it was all in his mind.

I hate F'd up endings, Total Recall was one that sticks out.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:47:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Bruce Willis was a ghost
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:48:27 PM EDT
[#4]
He lies to Mark Rufulo by saying that he still thinks he is a cop. He does this because he knows they will do the operation on him, if he still beleives he is a cop, that will turn him into a vegtable so he won't remember anything that he now knows is true.

Mark Rufulo's charactor realizes that this is what he's doing.

"Better to die a good man than live as a monster"
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:49:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I thought they made it clear. He was a US Marshall that went nuts after his wife murdered his kids.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:49:28 PM EDT
[#6]
All I know I got out of it, was I was confused as hell at the end.

It will definatly fuck with your mind if you follow it closely
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:50:11 PM EDT
[#7]

Leo's the crazy one, the whole thing was to try to help him live out the fantasy to see if he'd figure it out all and be able to move on.  When his main physician sits down he sees that it didn't take effect so...

Frontal Lobotomy is the answer you're looking for.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:50:28 PM EDT
[#8]
I thought Inception was a POS movie, but everyone else praises it.   I guess I don't know what is good.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:50:34 PM EDT
[#9]
He was blind the whole movie, he was being guided by the hand of God.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:51:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
He lies to Mark Rufulo by saying that he still thinks he is a cop. He does this because he knows they will do the operation on him, if he still beleives he is a cop, that will turn him into a vegtable so he won't remember anything that he now knows is true.

I dont think so, I think he relapsed again, as Ben Kingsley character stated that he did what 3 times aleady before?  I think his mind was gone and completely out of touch with reality given the circumstances of what had taken place with the family.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:54:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
From what I got from just watching the trailer, Leo is the missing prisoner and he's crazy/it's all a dream but is it?

I dont regret watching it.
Definitely kept me thinking....trying to figure out just what the hell was really happening
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:55:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I thought they made it clear. He was a US Marshall that went nuts after his wife murdered his kids.

They made things clear throughout the entire film that progressively contradicted the last.
I can assume that the very last 'fact' was the truth....or just another direction taken among a series of misleading tacks
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:57:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
He was blind the whole movie, he was being guided by the hand of God.

And he was tryign to wake people up from a softwar program they were living in because the machiens took over the planet.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:57:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I dont regret watching it.
Definitely kept me thinking....trying to figure out just what the hell was really happening

dude it gave it away right at the very beginning, when his so called partner didn't know how to unholster his gun and the fact that all the guards were mad dogging just Leonardo something fierce.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:59:31 PM EDT
[#15]
But how'd he get on the boat? He was dreaming!
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:00:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Terrible movie, with an even worse ending.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:04:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:41:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I dont think so, I think he relapsed again, as Ben Kingsley character stated that he did what 3 times aleady before?  I think his mind was gone and completely out of touch with reality given the circumstances of what had taken place with the family.

I'm telling you, I am right.

What do you think he means when he looks at Mark Rufulo's charactor and say's, "It's better to die a good man than live as a monster"?

He is saying that he is a monster for what he did, and he can't live with that. But if they do the lobotomy(spl?) he won't remember any of it so he will die a good man.

You can tell by the look on Mark Rufulo's charactor's face that he knows what Leo's charactor is doing. He doesn't try to stop him because apparantly he understands what he's saying.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:51:52 PM EDT
[#19]
I'd rather have a free bottle in front of me than a pre-frontal lobotomy.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:56:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What do you think he means when he looks at Mark Rufulo's charactor and say's, "It's better to die a good man than live as a monster"?

He is saying that he is a monster for what he did, and he can't live with that. But if they do the lobotomy(spl?) he won't remember any of it so he will die a good man.

You can tell by the look on Mark Rufulo's charactor's face that he knows what Leo's charactor is doing. He doesn't try to stop him because apparantly he understands what he's saying.

This seems more likely for the purpose of the plot.
Movie had a lot to follow.
Also thought it was interesting that when they surrendered their weapons in the beginning, only the partner gave over his holster with the weapon. Then, in the end, the main character claimed it was his weapon sitting in the holster on the desk....that didnt line up.

I assume then that the entire scene in the cave was a delusion?

Whole thing is a little like Fight Club meets Escape from Alcatraz
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:58:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just thought he had another relapse but I don't feel like watching the ending again.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:23:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Terrible movie, with an even worse ending.

+1
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:46:35 PM EDT
[#23]
That movie was worse than herpes. Lasted longer too.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:53:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Was it an even worse ending than the Departed?

Actually it probably wasn't as good as the Departed so maybe it wasn't as big of a letdown. I've already read the storyline of Shutter so I have no intention of watching it.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:55:38 PM EDT
[#25]
The twist ending never works when the audience is expecting a twist ending. This is where the movie went wrong.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 10:00:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Was it an even worse ending than the Departed?

Actually it probably wasn't as good as the Departed so maybe it wasn't as big of a letdown. I've already read the storyline of Shutter so I have no intention of watching it.

Pretty much. the Departed was great except for the last ten minutes. Shutter island was over 2 hours of sensory diarrhea.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 10:11:27 PM EDT
[#27]
I hate movies and books that have twists, for the sake of having twists.

Don't get me wrong twists are good....heck great when used properly, but when it becomes obvious that they are just twisting to twist it isn't effective. Dan Brown's books are very bad and obvious when it comes to twists and deception.

A twist should be subtle and generally slow developing throughout the story.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 10:16:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Correctomundo
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:22:40 AM EDT
[#29]
Reminded me of the a movie called the 9th configuration.

Its about a Green Beret that went nuts.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:15:11 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He was talking about his escape plan again, escape or die trying.  When he looked at Mark Rufulo, Rufulo's character knew at that moment all was lost with trying to rehabilitate him.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:17:25 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Bruce Willis was a ghost

I agree DIE HARD is the best serious movie ever...

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:24:45 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

I thought Inception was a POS movie, but everyone else praises it.   I guess I don't know what is good.

Nah.  Inception was shallow, poorly acted, and uninteresting.  It was well-written, but that's about it.

Shutter Island stayed true to the book, and DeCaprio was much better in that role.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:27:12 AM EDT
[#33]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top