Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 4/8/2002 7:06:30 PM EDT
Rented it over the weekend, watched it tonight. Its an eye opener and a good example of what complacency will yield.
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 7:48:39 PM EDT
It isn't just about rewarding merit and hard work (the opposite of complacency), it's also about discrimination, stereotyping, and genetic engineering. Designer babies will happen, IMO, and these are possible consequences of such a future. Interesting movie.
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 8:11:54 PM EDT
that movie freaked me out. i watched it on HBO. i didnt know what it was, and it was really late, maybe 1-2 AM. it was really odd.
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 8:13:21 PM EDT
Good movie
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 8:50:14 PM EDT
A true Sci-fi movie if there ever was one. Scary as we are getting too close to it with the genetics right now
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 5:24:25 AM EDT
Excellent film. One of the best SF movies ever made IMHO.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 5:37:31 AM EDT
That's one of my favorite movies! I think that is very likley what the future will look like after the last generation of us 'pre engineered' retires. I don't really see anything wrong with being able to engineer out diseases and disabilities.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 6:26:25 AM EDT
i never figured that movie out.. very odd one. course i was sick that day. so my mind wasnt 100%
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 12:41:29 PM EDT
There's just something about that movie that I like. Maybe it's the cinamatography that's so cool. I could watch it for that alone. It's a good story too.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 1:03:44 PM EDT
Yeah, great flic. A kinder gentler "1984" type movie where individualism means nothing, everything is done towards the betterment of society and your DNA determines the rest of your life. Just as we are starting to map genetic disorders in the human genome, things in our lives could go very wrong when such genetic predictions could be used against you. You won't be able to go to certain schools, meet or marry certain people, or apply for certain jobs all because your genetic "potential" is not up to par. Uma is hot too!
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 1:06:10 PM EDT
It was a great movie, I just felt different after watching it, that's how you know it's a good movie.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 1:24:22 PM EDT
I actually thought the movie was pretty uplifting. I believe the tagline was "There's no gene for the human spirit".
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 1:31:11 PM EDT
The three greatest Sci-Fi movies ever made (IMNSHO): 1. Blade Runner 2. Gattaca 3. The Matrix
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 7:07:06 PM EDT
In Gattica our hero overcame a social bias and had his dream come true. Great story. I liked it a lot. One generation, maybe two after gene intervention begins on a large scale we'll have a Gattaca-like situation for real. Improved types vs Unimproved types. Eugenics by default. Wonder how the Arabs will take to the fact that the USA will be peopled by Homo Superior and not their own H. Sapiens? You think they hate us now, just wait.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 7:26:07 PM EDT
The Gattaca corprate HQ in the movie is, in real life, the Marin Civic Center, where the county of Marin does it's business. It's a wonderful Frank Lloyd Wright building. The possibility of genetic engineering brings up all sorts of questions. It's not a given, btw, that the US or the west would be the first to use it on a large scale. The Communists were forever trying to deny human nature and create a "new Soviet man". What if they had genetic engineering to work with as well as social engineering? You can imagine the Chinese egineering a few thousand athletes or super soldiers to begin with. Maybe some high IQ scientists or other high value added talents. As they got better at it they might try other things on a larger scale. I think Robin Williams said that "we should make sex an olympic event, just so we can see what the East Germans would come up with."
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 7:57:10 PM EDT
Genetic engineering IS taking place. Jsut recently I read a thread somewhere (GT?) about two deaf lesbians that purposedly bred with a deaf friend to make sure their children will be deaf. SAD Scott
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 8:00:13 PM EDT
It was on Glock Talk: [url]http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=73277&highlight=lesbian[/url] Scott
Top Top