Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/31/2005 9:27:25 AM EDT
...the more I'm thinking about just getting in my truck and driving down to help with the disaster relief. I've called FEMA, but in typical federal agency fashion, the person I talked to was frustratingly clueless. I'd have to take an unpaid leave of absence from my job and pay my own health insurance through COBRA, but I'm having a very hard time sitting here at my desk watching the disaster unfold.

If I do go, I'll go first to Lowe's/Home Depot and buy tools and other equipment. I'll take all of my camping gear so that I'll be mostly self-sufficient.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:30:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/31/2005 9:30:22 AM EDT by cluster]
someone explain to me what the water issue is.. i hear its toxic.. why..?

is that one of the reasons help isnt flowing in right now... i cant think of anyother reason < other that they CANT due to water >

toxic as is dirty..smelly or it well affect you in the future toxic..

thanks '
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:36:06 AM EDT
I think its awesome you want to help. Best of luck to you. Patty
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:37:22 AM EDT

Originally Posted By cluster:

is that one of the reasons help isnt flowing in right now... i cant think of anyother reason < other that they CANT due to water >

thanks '

Toxic in the sense that you have human and animal waste mixed in, along with dead bodies, oil gas, and God knows what else.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:38:08 AM EDT
I am perplexed by my company, they had tsunami relief matching donations the day after but they haven't set up anything so far for the victims of hurricane Katrina.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:38:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/31/2005 9:39:28 AM EDT by Greg3]
I hear you loud and clear. But, just sit back for a bit and you will be needed. They just need to get the situation under control first.

I am sitting here chomping at the bit to get down there. I have to wait for the RV factories to get the go ahead from FEMA to roll out the trailers for the homeless. Then I will once again be working for FEMA.

One of our problems is diesel, I heard there is none to be had for about a 3 hour drive from the disaster area. That may pose as a problem for me.

It's just hurry up and wait.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:40:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/31/2005 9:41:08 AM EDT by Da_Bunny]
It's much too soon. I doubt you'd be safe. Wait until the gov't is back in control. There are a lot of bodies, and I'm betting they didn't all drown.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:41:15 AM EDT
Making cash donations to a charity would be the best thing to do right now.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:44:59 AM EDT
HydGuy...when were you in 231? Been here since March 2001 myself.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:49:32 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Dover:
HydGuy...when were you in 231? Been here since March 2001 myself.

IM sent...
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:56:08 AM EDT

Originally Posted By cluster:

thanks '

You have the other stuff people mentioned like human and animal waste. There is also going to be spoiled food in the water.

Let's also not forget cars, busses, trucks, trains, etc with fuel and oils. What about factories that were completely flooded that had toxic and corrosive chemicals there? Hospitals and waste disposal facilities may have infectious disease ridden needles in a bag floating down Canal Street.

This is what the looters, other residents of NO, and the LEO, Firefighter, and NG units are in right now. Its early yet but in a few days that water will smell and be polluted with more toxic garbage and disease than you can shake a stick at. Then you might see people dying of diseases contracted from the water.

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 10:08:12 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Greg3:
But, just sit back for a bit and you will be needed.

If/when I AM needed, how do I sign up?
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 10:17:09 AM EDT
I was thinking of going down there to go looting, myself.

Just kidding! That is a very noble thing, I wish there were more people like you.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 10:32:17 AM EDT

Originally Posted By kill-9:

Originally Posted By Greg3:
But, just sit back for a bit and you will be needed.

If/when I AM needed, how do I sign up?

IM sent
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 10:34:21 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Bama-Shooter:

The American Red Cross would be one of the best if not the best to donate to.

www.redcross.org/

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 10:41:29 AM EDT

Originally Posted By BigDozer66:

Originally Posted By Bama-Shooter:

The American Red Cross would be one of the best if not the best to donate to.

www.redcross.org/

BigDozer66

That's in dispute. They withheld 9/11 donations, and distributed funds to the enemy in Iraq. Salvation Army is better IMHO.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 11:00:27 AM EDT
kill-9,

Call the Salvation Army and ask how you can help. Tell them you want to pay your own way down and would be willing to work in any capacity they can use you.
Top Top