Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/1/2005 5:11:58 PM EDT
What a weird thing.
We have a cat, a bird and a catepiller.
The bird is usually out of his cage and either walks or flies around.

The cat will run over the bird then stop right in front of him and smell him while the bird hisses at him. Then the cat wanders off.

The catepiller is kept in a little bucket and usually passes his time by walking around the rim. Around around around. The bird wanders over to the catepiller, looks at him then wanders off.

Obviously, there is no hunter/prey instincts in my household. Probably best for the kids though, I really dont want to have to explain how the bird at the catepiller and the cat ate the bird.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 5:17:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Get a dog

Continue the cycle

Taffy
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 5:18:33 PM EDT
[#2]
don't feed the cat for 2 weeks and get back to us with the results
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 5:21:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Eat the bird.

Then tell the cat he's next.

Link Posted: 10/1/2005 5:22:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Its a little different in my house.  I sold a trained hunting dog one time to a fellow who called me about a week after he bought the dog from me asking for his money back and for me to come get the dog.  Seems he hand raises parrots and the dog scared one to death pointing at it one day.  WTF was he thinking??  I gladly took the dog back.

Patty
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 5:25:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Unfortunately for my squirrell my snake still has hunter instincts
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 9:08:19 PM EDT
[#6]
I am not surprised to see my English Springer Spaniel pointing... but I used to be surprised seeing my German Shepherd pointing.   I mean, a classic stalk and point.

Had a chocolate lab that would have a stack of birds (black birds, sparrows, occasionally a bluejay) by the back door for us each morning.  He'd be sitting there waiting for us to see the prize he brought us.

It is hardwired into the dogs I have had.  You must be doing something very wrong to your animals.   (referring to Specop_007's animals, not Patty's)
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 9:10:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 9:18:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Cats hunt for recreation.  Feeding cats or not feeding them doesn't have anything to do with it.  Actually with farm cats it has been shown that feeding the cats increases the number of varmits they catch and kill.  

You've probably trained the cat to not see the bird as potential prey.  This commonly happens when people own both types of animals.

Don't know about the bird and the caterpillar.  Might be as simple as the bird has always had seed to eat and doesn't recognise the caterpillar as food.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 9:30:16 PM EDT
[#9]
I saw on Animal Planet, a snake, a rat and a bird, all living in the same cage.  

The onwer put the rat in for the snake to eat, but the snake used the rat as a space heater instead...  I don't know the story behind the bird.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 9:46:54 PM EDT
[#10]
My damn cat goes into a submisive posture starts making funny purr sounds and wants to play with my two rats when I let them out of the cage. The rats have no fear of the cat! Funny if you ask me!
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 11:04:43 PM EDT
[#11]
I had a cat that ran scared after a praying mantis put up a good defensive posture.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top