Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/14/2004 6:30:41 PM EDT
Can someone inform me on this?I know they removed the Bayo lug before they had to but when did this stuff start?Was there a change in management?Meanwhile other companies(Rock River,Bushmaster,etc...) take charge in standing with us and making good stuff.How did this all start?

Thanks,Tyler
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:31:41 PM EDT
[#1]
"If it's not a Colt, it's just a copy"  
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:39:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Huh?
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:46:14 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Huh?

Kind of a "sit down, shut up" attitude of some Colt owners.   "Colt is the Best" at all costs.

I know they went PC a long time ago with sear blocks in the lower receivers, large hole receivers, removing bayonet lugs and FH's, etc...

There was also an issue with the President and ties/donations to anti-gun groups, as I recall.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:02:21 PM EDT
[#4]
If it's not an ORIGINAL Armalite it's a copy.....
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:04:19 PM EDT
[#5]
...If it is not a Bushmaster....

oh wait nevermind
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:11:29 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Can someone inform me on this?I know they removed the Bayo lug before they had to but when did this stuff start?Was there a change in management?Meanwhile other companies(Rock River,Bushmaster,etc...) take charge in standing with us and making good stuff.How did this all start?

Thanks,Tyler

It was about 1990 or so, right after Kalifornia had their AWB.  Reasons I recall they started going PC was to be able to continue to sell AR15's which were banned by name in that state,.  So they started naming them Sporters.

Another reason I heard somewhere was they wanted to suck up to the US gummint to win the M16 contract because FN or somebody else had the M16 contract.

I can't fact check those two reasons,  it's been a long while.  

FWIW, I have a Colt "transitional" HBAR Sporter.  Has the green label lower (no sear block, small sized pins) and the non bayonet lug upper.  It also has the cut out bolt carrier.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:12:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Colt makes some of the finest over priced rifles around...period!

Don't question the Horsey!

SGatr15
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:17:56 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

SGatr15

I thought that was H&K
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:21:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Colt got the rights to the ar15/m16 and received a huge military contract after Ladybird Johnson, LBJ's wife, invested heavily in Colt. My drill instructors in the Army told us about it, so take it for what it's worth.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:23:14 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

SGatr15

I thought that was H&K

For HK, its some of the most overpriced. Take out the finest part.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 2:11:09 PM EDT
[#11]
So they did it so they could still sell parts in the "special" states?Well what about all that other crap they did to the rifles?
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 2:39:25 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
If it's not an ORIGINAL Armalite it's a copy.....

AR means Armalite
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top