Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/11/2001 9:49:24 PM EDT
I have heard that these planes were hijacked by terrorist with knives. No bombs, no guns, knives. How many terrorist per plane??

Not that I am Rambo or John Wayne but I think given the numbers they would have really had to work to hijack my plane with a knife. It just makes you wonder why the passengers just didn't pounce on these guys.

I know knives are dangerous weapons and this is all just speculation and armchair quarterbacking, but I just can't see letting myself be taken by a knife.

I'm sure I am opening myself up to all kinds of flames but that's ok. Just a little food for thought.
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 9:52:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I can't say what I would or wouldn't have done in the situation, but notice that they didn't use evil assault weapons.

My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone involved.
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 9:53:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Different mentality.
We're people who'd rather die free than live on our knees. Not everybody thinks like that.
Plus, to control the crowd, the terrs might have lied and told them they were headed for Cuba or something - ppl don't do desperate things if they don't think they'll die.
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 9:57:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I wonder if they were those plastic CIA "letter opener" type knifes? If you have one, you might have a collector item. Soon to be be banned????
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 9:57:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Different mentality.
We're people who'd rather die free than live on our knees. Not everybody thinks like that.
Plus, to control the crowd, the terrs might have lied and told them they were headed for Cuba or something - ppl don't do desperate things if they don't think they'll die.
View Quote

I dont care where they say we are going, if all the guy has is a knife, he is at least going to get hurt if not killed.  I will not die a sheep.
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 10:02:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Different mentality.
View Quote

I dont care where they say we are going, if all the guy has is a knife, he is at least going to get hurt if not killed.  I will not die a sheep.
View Quote

yeah, this incident has sorta wakened (some?) of the sheep. I don't think anybody's gonna believe "we'll be landing shortly, stay calm and we won't hurt you" anymore.
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 10:04:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 10:21:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wonder if they were those plastic CIA "letter opener" type knifes? If you have one, you might have a collector item. Soon to be be banned????
View Quote

Eh?  I've never seen those.  Enlighten me please?

-Gloftoe
View Quote

All plastic- passes through metal detectors.
Very sharp.
[img]www.selfdefenseproducts.com/images/knives/general/nylon.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 10:28:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 10:33:53 PM EDT
[#9]
From what I have heard so far on the news is that the terrorists starting stabbing and cutting the throats of flight attendants and passengers.  I'm sure this scared most of the passengers into submission.  This  would have solved allot of things  http://www.ccrkba.org/pub/rkba/press-releases/FloridaLicensing.htm
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 10:57:12 PM EDT
[#10]
I have one of the "letter openers", and I don't think it's worth much.  It really ISN'T sharp, although it might suffice for a stabbing it won't slice worth crap.

Next week I am going to make a glass dagger.  I'd like to thank Larry Niven for the idea.

Incidentally, I heard on the radio tonight that FAA regs allow passengers to have knives with up to 4" blades.  The rule is to allow pocketknives, Leatherman tools, nail clippers, and that sort of thing.  So the terrorists might even have been legal in carrying these things on board.
Link Posted: 9/12/2001 3:37:45 AM EDT
[#11]
I guess this is a god example of why you shouldn't be submissive. It's hard to say without actually being in this situation, but I would prefer to go down fighting than be a sheep sent to slaughter.
Link Posted: 9/12/2001 4:20:53 AM EDT
[#12]
"The fight will be what the fight will be. Not what you expect it to be" (Clint Smith Thunder Ranch)
Link Posted: 9/12/2001 4:29:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Well the news said that there was 3-5 terrs per plane so if you constructed a knife similar to say a Mad Dog knife from porcelain (even a prison copy of a plexiglass shiv or the CIA letter opener- anything  that will defeat detection systems) you have a formidable force of armed cadre.
When the plan kicks in you make it a point to slice and dice a few people on the way to the cabin to make a very lasting impression. One guy commandeers and flies the plane while the rest run interference so no-one can enter. Passangers have no way of knowing theirs is a one way ticket and as is human nature you rationalize that you will come out ok if you just sit it out, not knowing that these people are suicide bombers.
Even if you suspect that these guys are planning on meeting their maker, very few would take on 2-4 weapon yielding terrs single-handedly and weaponless. Pretty sound plan to me. What happened to Sky Marshals?
Link Posted: 9/12/2001 4:33:18 AM EDT
[#14]
What happened to Sky Marshals?
View Quote

Someone decided that having people with guns aboard airliners was too dangerous -- "someone might get hurt". [rolleyes]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top