Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 5/28/2003 10:59:12 AM EDT
I hate to ask this again..........but.......I keep hearing about use or don't use Wolf ammo. I have had very little experience with that brand as far as shooting goes. Lots of people buy it and they are repeat buyrs. My AR maker says don't use it, I have been questioned about ammo types by Ruger also. They also state that reloaded ammo will void warranty, I have reloaded a couple hundred thousand rounds myself, and I always trusted my ammo. I have a round to deal with the accuracy question, and I am just looking for an inexpensive alternative that is suitable for the occasion. As far as I can tell from the arguments, and they are many, if it functions in your gun........shoot it!!!!! It won't hurt the action or the barrell. Thoughts and opions appreciated!!
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 11:05:54 AM EDT
i use it all the time in my AR no problems at all with the ammo get a couple 100 rounds and see if your gun likes it if it does good if it don't no loss.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 11:06:27 AM EDT
I once reloaded a .45 wolf case and it worked.[pistol] Other than that i will just sit back and watch.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 11:08:19 AM EDT
I know a lot of guys that use wolf 5.56 in their ARs. I never do. I also own a Hesse FAL that has never blown up, so there are exceptions to every rule. The main difference is steel case versus brass case. If you get one stuck in the chamber, you are mega-screwed as I understand. I hope to never find out by never using it in my non-AK-type rifles.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 11:08:36 AM EDT
They're innacurate as all heck and underpowered, but other than that I've had no problems with them.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 11:09:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/28/2003 11:15:20 AM EDT by A-nus]
It's fine just clean your weapon. An ammo princess will not agree, but The advantages in using it (i.e. getting significantly more trigger time to cost ratio, and learning how to clear your weapon during the odd failure) out weigh the negatives (aforementioned odd failures (turn it in to a training positive), slightly dirtier weapon (dirtier is like being more pregnant)) Your going to clean it any way.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 11:11:32 AM EDT
Originally Posted By u-baddog: I once reloaded a .45 wolf case and it worked.[pistol]
View Quote
I assume you had Berdan primers? I have several steel cases in .45ACP that were used in WWII to replace scarce brass cases. I've reloaded them many times with no problem. I know the older guys on the forum get tired of these questions about Wolf, but they are valid questions. I shoot it all the time with no problems. Not as accurate as M193, but it makes a bang and puts a hole in the target.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 11:40:02 AM EDT
ahh the everlasting wolf question, like wrote above try a couple hundred rounds in your rifle, if it works use it. im on my 8th case of the 55gr wolf ammo with no jams, no stuck cases,no failures to extract, it doesnt melt the barrel or bend the lower reciever or wear a hole in your upper, hell it doesnt even turn your rifle a different color. its cheap and stinky but its works.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 12:04:46 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Old_Painless:
Originally Posted By u-baddog: I once reloaded a .45 wolf case and it worked.[pistol]
View Quote
I assume you had Berdan primers? I have several steel cases in .45ACP that were used in WWII to replace scarce brass cases. I've reloaded them many times with no problem. I know the older guys on the forum get tired of these questions about Wolf, but they are valid questions. I shoot it all the time with no problems. Not as accurate as M193, but it makes a bang and puts a hole in the target.
View Quote
the wolf .45 is boxer primed.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 12:13:48 PM EDT
I sent 1K of Wolf down range through my AR. No misfires or problems of any kind. Half the cost of the next cheapest brand. I do think they were a little under powered. They were definately "more dirtier".
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 12:20:30 PM EDT
cduarte said: the wolf .45 is boxer primed.
View Quote
I stand corrected. Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 12:31:44 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 1:01:49 PM EDT
I use Wolf 7.62 X 39 in my SKS and .223 in my AR, both work fine. Just clean your gun like usual and its all ok.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 1:12:16 PM EDT
I shoot wolf in my AR every once in a while and never had any problems yet. I just shot 200 rounds last weekend without a hickup.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 1:26:50 PM EDT
stay away from wolf, it's baaaad shit! it'll blow up your gun, screw your wife, and slap your kids.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 1:48:10 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 2:26:51 PM EDT
Originally Posted By ian187: stay away from wolf, it's baaaad shit! it'll blow up your gun, screw your wife, and slap your kids.
View Quote
I don't know about all that. I tried wolf in my Bushy. I had 1 serious jam. Had to pound the butt on the ground while yanking on the charging handle to get her free. I never saw any lacquer build up either. It DOES feel underpowered when you fire it. Accuracy was lacking to say the least. Yes It will give you more trigger time for less money, but trigger time with my rifle and the wolf is useless. Shoots about Basketball sized groups at 50 yards. If you hold your mouth right. My mini 14 shoots 55 gallon drum sized groups at 100 yards with the stuff. About the same accuracy can be obtained shooting the stuff with a sling shot. It is pretty dirty as well. The inside of my rifle looked like it was covered with black toothpaste when I was finished. I won't be buying it ever again.
Top Top