Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/2/2006 12:53:24 PM EDT
This was about two weeks ago at High Rock Shooting Range in CT...

This wacky RO said the following all in one day of shooting
1) "Ummm... I don't know if you can shoot that here because you are from NY"

2) "Is that thing full auto" while pointing to my Keltec

3) "I can shoot 1 hole groups at 700 yards with my factory Remmington 700 and factory ammo..."
     my response: good for you. can you show me?
     his response: well.. ummm... well

4) "What the hell do you need a gun like that for" while pointing to my AR

5) "We don't let people shoot Wolf ammo here because I've seen it blow up guns"
    my response: funny... I've been shooting wolf all day. in fact every time I come here
    his response: well.. ummmm... that must be something other than Wolf because I know it blows guns up.

6) "I have no use for military looking guns"

The thing is I never asked for this guy's opinion... what an ass... then he goes on to tell me how he is going to ban ARs from the range....
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 12:55:05 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

The thing is I never asked for this guy's opinion... what an ass... then he goes on to tell me how he is going to ban ARs from the range....

I would have responded so did the French!
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 12:57:16 PM EDT
[#2]
If he's so biased about certain guns, why is he working at a range?
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 12:58:24 PM EDT
[#3]
At least he didn't limit you to three rounds per magazine. WTF is that all about, anyway?
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 12:59:05 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
At least he didn't limit you to three rounds per magazine. WTF is that all about, anyway?

Where do they do that?
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 12:59:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:00:30 PM EDT
[#6]

But the thing at that range is that some R.O. volunteer a couple of times a year and then they have unrestricted access to the range.

Every ten minutes he kept telling me how he hates military looking guns... He was gettin on my nerves so bad I wanted to let him shoot some of that dangerous Wolf ammo

He had a shit fit when the guy with a .50 cal Barrett
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:02:20 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Where do they do that?

Some range near San Antonio I went to a few years ago (the one and only gun range I've ever been to, in fact). Lots of other people on here have complained about gun ranges limiting the number of rounds they can have in magazines; the worst ones only let you have one round per magazine, turning your high-cap semi-auto into a single-shot. Oh, but of course guns with integral magazines can have as many rounds as they can hold.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:02:46 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Where do they do that?

The range near me limits you to one, yes one, round in a mag at a time... even if it is a bolt action rifle. and they have the balls to charge ten bucks an hour.  That is in westchester, NY...

I have to drive an hour and twenty minutes to get to a decent range
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:05:04 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

no joke., why would anyone say those things from someone who is an employee at a range??
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:06:46 PM EDT
[#10]
The range in Pontiac, MI is not too shabby.  Only lame rule is wait 3 seconds before each shot.  Wife hates that more than I do.  She loves to let it rip on my 10/22

plink, plink,
plink, plink,
plink, plink,
plink, plink,
plink, plink,
plink, plink,
plink, plink,
plink, plink,
plink, plink,  !!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:07:57 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

no joke., why would anyone say those things from someone who is an employee at a range??

Jackasses and idiots come in every flavor.

Every gun show I've been to, I'll stop to look at an EBR and some guy carrying a bolt gun or shotgun will give me the evil eye and ask "whadda ya need wunna dem der things fur? Alls theys good fur is shootin' people!"
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:08:29 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He is probably one of those guys that thinks he is the only one who should own a gun... and hates the evil balck rifle because he doesn't have one
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:09:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Sometimes, we are our own worst enemy.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:12:25 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Time to pull out the Hello Kitty AR with pink furniture?

Jim
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:12:55 PM EDT
[#15]
My club's outdoor range has a one-shot per five second rule. The indoor range (ten ports, five are 50 feet and five are 50 yards) has no rules on rapid fire or ammo.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:13:15 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Sometimes, we are our own worst enemy.  

+1 I dont understand it sometimes
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:26:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Some ranges I know of, and one I belong to, have such restrictive gun rules you'd expect to find Diane Feinstein on the board of directors.  They'll ban certain types of weapons from the range but kick and scream when the gov't does the same thing.  I don't get it.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:28:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Its okay to shoot when I put the red flag down, when its up, you can't shoot or handle your guns...
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:30:51 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
The range in Pontiac, MI is not too shabby.  Only lame rule is wait 3 seconds before each shot.  

that sounds pretty damn shabby to me

I'd bump a mag and leave for good

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:31:05 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
The range near me limits you to one, yes one, round in a mag at a time... even if it is a bolt action rifle. and they have the balls to charge ten bucks an hour.  That is in westchester, NY...

I know from your thread in GD that you want to leave NYS; you just need to move away from NYC and come upstate.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:35:42 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
But the thing at that range is that some R.O. volunteer a couple of times a year and then they have unrestricted access to the range.

Every ten minutes he kept telling me how he hates military looking guns... He was gettin on my nerves so bad I wanted to let him shoot some of that dangerous Wolf ammo

He had a shit fit when the guy with a .50 cal Barrett

bump fire just to piss him off...
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:38:53 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Where do they do that?

Some range near San Antonio I went to a few years ago (the one and only gun range I've ever been to, in fact). Lots of other people on here have complained about gun ranges limiting the number of rounds they can have in magazines; the worst ones only let you have one round per magazine, turning your high-cap semi-auto into a single-shot. Oh, but of course guns with integral magazines can have as many rounds as they can hold.

In that case you need to show up with a ton of mags & practice your reload speed.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:43:33 PM EDT
[#23]
I am a member of Tulsa Red Castle Gun Club, home of one of the only 1000 meter rifle ranges in the country and also the "Any Weapon - Any Target" plinking range.

I sure get tired of hearing Range Officers say, "Gee, I haven't seen one of those up-close. Would it be OK if I shot that? Here, you can try mine too..."

It's a damn fine group.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:45:51 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I am a member of Tulsa Red Castle Gun Club, home of one of the only 1000 meter rifle ranges in the country and also the "Any Weapon - Any Target" plinking range.

I sure get tired of hearing Range Officers say, "Gee, I haven't seen one of those up-close. Would it be OK if I shot that? Here, you can try mine too..."

It's a damn fine group.

Tell them to move down here and invite all their/your classIII buddies.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:46:03 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Where do they do that?

I'd load one round in every mag I own and do the ...
Shoot, mag change
Shoot, mag change...
as fast as I could

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:46:25 PM EDT
[#26]
When I hear crap like that I reach into my range bag and pull out my orange RSO hat, put it on, and say "You talking to me?"  
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:57:12 PM EDT
[#27]
JBravo - Check your IM.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:19:51 PM EDT
[#28]
just wanted to add that besides that douchebag R.O. that was there two weeks ago... High Rock is a lot of fun, safe, and has some cool range officers. It was just that one guy
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:22:25 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know from your thread in GD that you want to leave NYS; you just need to move away from NYC and come upstate.

Years ago I lived up in Johnson City, NY near Binghamton... went to school there. Everyone one that was local to the area was really gun friendly, which is how I got into shooting. I love upstate. I have friends with property up in Liberty. The only problem is that the state laws coming down the pipe line really suck. I just hope we don't lose the state senate. If real republicans would gain control of the assembly we'd be all set
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:25:13 PM EDT
[#30]

Come on, you must be pulling my leg.

Did they really say it! If it's true, It must have benn one of the older guys.

This wacky RO said the following all in one day of shooting:

"Ummm... I don't know if you can shoot that here because you are from NY

As long as it's not a pistol you are fine ( Unless you have a CT permit)

What the hell do you need a gun like that for" while pointing to my AR
I have no use for military looking guns

Whats the matter, Are they too scarry for you?

We don't let people shoot Wolf ammo here because I've seen it blow up guns"
    my response: funny... I've been shooting wolf all day. in fact every time I come here
    his response: well.. ummmm... that must be something other than Wolf because I know it blows guns up.

Should have told him to police up the steel Wolf cases from the field & come back & see you

then he goes on to tell me how he is going to ban ARs from the range.

Now Im getting pissed off hearing this kind of bullshit! Email  or Im me, I would like to know more. I am a member at that HRSA &  hearing this really pisses me off to no end. I would like to bring this up at the monthy meeting because this is not the 1st time this shit has happened. As long as you exibit safe handling of your firearms, It shouldn't matter what you are shooting
The RO's I know are BRF ( Black Rifle Friendly) & if you came up when Im working, you can come as my guest.

Ban AR's? Not if My fellow club members & I have anything to say!

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:30:15 PM EDT
[#31]
I had a RO pick up my makarov, load a full size 9mm round in it ( at this point I'm wondering what he's doing) and fire it. I then ripped him a new one. His response? Well it chambered and fired so it must be ok.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:36:30 PM EDT
[#32]
wow
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:37:39 PM EDT
[#33]
My favorite one was "We don't allow Wolf ammo here because the gunpowder contains ground up
horse hair and that's what causes high chamber pressure and blows guns up."

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:39:37 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
My favorite one was "We don't allow Wolf ammo here because the gunpowder contains ground up

you really had someone say that?
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:45:36 PM EDT
[#35]
VLODPG - Check your IM.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:07:46 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

JBravo223 - sounds like Blue Mountain in Peekskill - I hate that range also. I shoot up in Mountainville, at the Black Rock Fish and Game Club now. It's about an hour ride for me.

tc556guy is right, move upstate or buy some property. I'm looking to buy some property upstate and build a log cabin where taxes are low and the locals are gun-friendly.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:09:43 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

JBravo223 - sounds like Blue Mountain in Peekskill - I hate that range also. I shoot up in Mountainville, at the Black Rock Fish and Game Club now. It's about an hour ride for me.

tc556guy is right, move upstate or buy some property. I'm looking to buy some property upstate and build a log cabin where taxes are low and the locals are gun-friendly.

That is the range... it really sucks.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:22:22 PM EDT
[#38]
A friend of mine got tired of an RO breathing down his neck while he was grouping his M1A Supermatch, asking:

"What caliber is that?"

".308 ."

"How many rounds does that thing hold?"

"It's a twenty-round magazine."

"What do you need twenty-rounds of .308 for?"

"For shooting twenty people."

No questions followed and he finished shooting in peace. And hey, he's not all wrong.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:04:12 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

you really had someone say that?

Yep, the rangemaster at  Shelby Farms range in Memphis, TN. about 4 years ago before it closed.

He also said never to buy surplus military ammo because you are almost guaranteed to have
a squib.

He was a bizarre dude.  He told me and a few other guys about how an AR-15 exploded while a guy was shooting it at the range, and the shrapnel from the receiver lacerated the guys arm. The guy passed out and the rangemaster carried him to his truck, and drove him to the hospital. The rangemaster said he was able to react because of his combat experience in 'Nam.  Anytime we shot AR's there he told us the same story about the incident where he saved the guys life from bleeding to death.

This guy liked to toot his own horn alot.

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:12:27 PM EDT
[#40]
My range guy asks "What machine guns did you bring today? Got any new ones? Please don't shake up the Elmers too much"BD]
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:16:32 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
A friend of mine got tired of an RO breathing down his neck while he was grouping his M1A Supermatch, asking:

"What caliber is that?"

".308 ."

"How many rounds does that thing hold?"

"It's a twenty-round magazine."

"What do you need twenty-rounds of .308 for?"

"For shooting twenty people."

No questions followed and he finished shooting in peace. And hey, he's not all wrong.

His problem is he though he was a sniper and your friend probably could outshoot him!
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:17:46 PM EDT
[#42]
I wish I could start a range that would ban deer rifles and Elmer Fudds.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:19:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Eee gads, stories like this make me so very glad I live in AZ where a range is only for sighting in.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:53:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Went to a range where they said they have to safety check each firearm before you can shoot it there. A guy picks up my AUG and starts really racking the hell out of it.
I grabbed it back and stuck it in the case. Told him I don't slam it home on an empty chamber and I'll be damned if I'll let a complete stranger do it.
Left the place right then and there.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:04:53 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
I had a RO pick up my makarov, load a full size 9mm round in it ( at this point I'm wondering what he's doing) and fire it. I then ripped him a new one. His response? Well it chambered and fired so it must be ok.

I would have put my foot up his ass if he had done something like that to my firearms.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:06:12 PM EDT
[#46]
I had one guy say, "Hey, don't sweep me with that thing."  What an idiot.  Sure it was loaded, but it's not like I'm gonna pull the trigger!
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:16:54 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
I had one guy say, "Hey, don't sweep me with that thing."  What an idiot.  Sure it was loaded, but it's not like I'm gonna pull the trigger!

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:26:07 PM EDT
[#48]
At a range in Maryland a few years back, some RO stepped up behind me, put his hand on my shoulder, and asked me, "Son, now, is that rifle legal?"  He thought my T/C Contender Carbine with a 16" barrel on it was an illegal SBR.  He was an officious prick a bunch of other times, too.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:33:20 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

maybe NY used to be a firearms friendly state but i wouldnt go back if you paid me.  back in the 80's/early 90's my uncle owned a gunshop in kinderhook and my dad was an FFL as well.  

now, i hear nothing but bitching on my dads part about all the damn laws and registration.  he had to give up his FFL and my uncle closed the shop.  

i lived in albany for a while, they have a damn city AWB to compliment the BS state one, the only good thing was when i was living in saratoga we had a good gunshow come through every year.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:36:46 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Where do they do that?

Good grief, and I thought it was bad having mags pinned to 5 rounds in Canada..
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top