Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/26/2004 7:00:03 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/26/2004 7:03:42 PM EST by SteyrAUG]
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:03:52 PM EST
Very true and well-said.

I was fortunate enough to attend a forum of several B-17 crew members last night. They told some great stories, and it amazed me how modest they were. They were proud of what they had done, but they weren't boastful about it at all.

There was a flying B-17 there also, and some of them got to ride on it today. I bet that was a thrill.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:18:29 PM EST
Yeah, passing of the torch.

My uncle Ralph died a couple of months ago at 82. He was on the Yorktown at the battle of coral sea and a few weeks later at midway when it went down.

My brothers and I walked through the war in the Pacific with him as kids every chance we got.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:22:07 PM EST
Aren't we losing 1,000 WWII vets A DAY?
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:06:54 AM EST
We can learn from the "old" folks. Just LISTEN!

AB
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:55:26 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:10:26 AM EST

Originally Posted By SteyrAUG:
." My grandfather (15th AAF B24 Top Turret) got me started on my fascination with World War II stories. Every kids deserves to see his grandfather as something great and every vet deserves the admiration of his grandkids.

My father, 570th 390th 8th AAF upper turret and POW, and now just as it was then even more important that this generation know if America goes down the whole world goes down, no other nation can keep the world from feudalism.

America's fate does not rest on the war in Iraq, it is whether the next generation understands that this nation depends on them defending the ideals in a common cause that separates America from every other nation in the world.

Patrick Henry

It cannot be emphasized too strongly or too often that this great nation was founded, not by religionists, but by Christians; not on religions, but on the gospel of Jesus Christ! For this very reason peoples of other faiths have been afforded asylum, prosperity, and freedom of worship here.

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:08:20 PM EST
I too remember as a kid in the 60's-early 70's hearing stories from WW2 vets. Don't recall hearing too much from Korean war vets. It might have to do with some of the points you made Steyr or it might be that I was in a period of my life where I was more interested in other things than hearing the stories of the aging Korean war vets. I think overall with the grand memories of WW2 and our rush to redeem ourselves to the poor treatment showed to the Viet Nam vets that we have in fact pretty much ignored the Vets of the Korean War.
I think what will probably even make this worse in a sense is that most kids will associate the Viet Nam Vets as the new old timers. They will still be young enough to have Grandkids that are young like I was in the 60's and 70's. The Korean war vets are sort of the odd man out.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:17:14 PM EST

Good post, SA.

One question though - just how in the hell did such noble, hardworking and honorable folks as those who grew up as kids in the Great Depression and then went on to fight and win WWII ever give birth to that hippie baby-boomer generation???

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:17:26 PM EST
If everything goes according to plan, my grandchildren will sit around hearing stories of men who gave all they had, and more, in the Middle East to defeat the most ruthless killers ever. An enemy that wished to not conquer us, but destroy us. Fuckers that would behead women and children, and rape children, and target schools, and blow up families on buses and in airliners. Almost makes the Japs seem civilized.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:24:31 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/27/2004 6:26:47 PM EST by gamesniper]
The War 2 vets were truly the BEST generation this country has ever seen. I don't know any War 1 vets so I can't comment on them.

But through the business the GF and I own I get to interact with a lot of vets-about 80% of them are War 2-and they're truly great and humble individuals.

This doesn't mean I take any respect away from Korean or Vietnam vets, or Panama, Grenada, Somalia, GW1 vets. Whether they were awarded MOHs or were in the rear with the gear. They've earned my deepest respect as well-but the ENTIRE WORLD was not at danger when they stepped up to the plate, and the War 2 vets they think that what they did was what they were expected to do and wasn't anything special.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:15:44 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:24:45 PM EST

Originally Posted By SteyrAUG:

Originally Posted By GomerPyle:
Very true and well-said.

I was fortunate enough to attend a forum of several B-17 crew members last night. They told some great stories, and it amazed me how modest they were. They were proud of what they had done, but they weren't boastful about it at all.

There was a flying B-17 there also, and some of them got to ride on it today. I bet that was a thrill.

That describes them so well.

Yeah, one of my Great Uncles who died last year was in the D-Day invasion of Normandy. He rarely spoke of it. All those old (now) guys that I've known had it pretty rough all through life compared to today, but just kept going instead of complaining.

NMSight
Top Top