Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/30/2011 5:19:26 PM EDT
While I was out zeroing today I noticed I only had three ear plugs stored in my forward grip. I got to thinking what else I could fit in there. Later on, I noticed my rifle needed oiled. As I was driving to pick up targets, I noticed and MRE tabasco bottle in my change tray.  So...

I have since filled the bottle with militec, as that is the oil I have right now.

And on to the rifle.  

BRD is expensive.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 5:22:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Good idea

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 5:25:14 PM EDT
[#2]
you cary a rod on your rifle?

we need to introduce you to the Otis line of products
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 5:26:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Hmmmm.....
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 5:27:07 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Try clearing a jam or double feed with that flexible otis pull through cable.

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 5:28:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I carry LaRue MGL in mine.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 5:28:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Or a stuck casing.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 5:30:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Its for clearing malfs.

Easiest way to clear a stuck case, put the rod in the barrel and mortar the buttstock on the ground with vigor while the bolt is back.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 5:34:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its for clearing malfs.

Easiest way to clear a stuck case, put the rod in the barrel and mortar the buttstock on the ground with vigor while the bolt is back.

Yeah. Every time I go to the range I get " Is that a cleaning rod? What's that for?" Today someone was shooting tula and predictably to the rim off one. enlightened voice  OHHHH That's what its for! /enlightened voice
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 5:49:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its for clearing malfs.

Yeah. Every time I go to the range I get " Is that a cleaning rod? What's that for?" Today someone was shooting tula and predictably to the rim off one. enlightened voice  OHHHH That's what its for! /enlightened voice

dang. how heavy is that night fighter?
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 5:58:30 PM EDT
[#10]
You know what I get when I post pics of my rifle?

"It looks like you drug that through the EE and picked up TAPCO along the way..."

Yeah, not a single anything from TAPCO and less shit on it than yours.

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 6:00:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Where do you stick the 3rd ear plug?

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 6:00:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its for clearing malfs.

dang. how heavy is that night fighter?

I don't have a scale right now so I'm not exactly sure, but I'd guess ~12 pounds. Thats not what gets heavy, though.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 6:02:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Later on, I noticed my rifle needed oiled.

English not being.

Sweet gear though
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 6:04:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You know what I get when I post pics of my rifle?

"It looks like you drug that through the EE and picked up TAPCO along the way..."

Yeah, not a single anything from TAPCO and less shit on it than yours.

It's the Schmidt and Bender.  BTW, post pics if you want.

Quoted:
Where do you stick the 3rd ear plug?

I just use the earplugs if I manage to forget my two primary earpro. But if you roll one up and stick it in the muzzle it keeps foreign objects out of the bore. They also can be doubled over and stuck in the gap behind the trigger guard on a regular AR if someone is complaing of the discomfort.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 6:07:01 PM EDT
[#15]
I think when your optic out prices most, if not all rack grade rifles, you should be somewhat immune to accusations of TAPCO intercourse.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 6:10:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I think when your optic out prices most, if not all rack grade rifles, you should be somewhat immune to accusations of TAPCO intercourse.

I run a Leupold Mark 4 16x40mm LR/T M1 on a Fulton Armory M21... about 50% of the board hates it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 6:11:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Needs more training wheels.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 6:16:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Years ago I tried to get LaRue to incorporate a way to store a cleaning rod inside their handguard similar to an AK.
That way you could at the least have two rod sections you could slap together if you needed it.
Maybe someday someone will do it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 6:19:59 PM EDT
[#19]
If its not CLP I cannot hide it in tiny places
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 6:22:16 PM EDT
[#20]
What hand guard is that.  And is that NV behind the scope? Details!  We need details!
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 6:22:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Years ago I tried to get LaRue to incorporate a way to store a cleaning rod inside their handguard similar to an AK.
That way you could at the least have two rod sections you could slap together if you needed it.

Yeah I would definitely find a screw-together sectional rod that would hide in the stock or hand guard.

Then again, I am in no position to criticize that kit in ANY shape or form.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 6:26:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

You know if they modded a couple of their rail cover clips it would be an easy add on with little cost....
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 6:36:11 PM EDT
[#23]
All EE and tapco jokes aside, somebody plays waaaaay too much call of duty.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 6:40:48 PM EDT
[#24]
I dunno... seems like the rod would be a huge PITA.  I'd stick it in my gear.  It's not like I'm clearing that malf in direct contact anyway.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 6:41:32 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Seems like great gear to me... ya jealous?
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 6:41:37 PM EDT
[#26]
What kind of mount is that for the flashlight?
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 6:47:47 PM EDT
[#27]
I thought you were kidding about the $10K part until I saw the optics.

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 6:48:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You know if they modded a couple of their rail cover clips it would be an easy add on with little cost....

Oh I agree, it could be done fairly easy a few ways. Especially if you designed a rod specifically for that application.
Why let the Commies have all the fun?
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 6:59:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh I agree, it could be done fairly easy a few ways. Especially if you designed a rod specifically for that application.
Why let the Commies have all the fun?

do you mean kinda like the way the old SAW hand guards held the cleaning rod?
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 7:02:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
What hand guard is that.  And is that NV behind the scope? Details!  We need details!

My first AR's Lower  It was a DSA ZM4 before I figured out that ARs were Mr Potatohead.
Geisseille SSA trigger
VLTOR Emod, MUR-1 and QD lightmount
GI cleaning rod
BCM bolt and BCG, Gunfighter charging handle
Tubb flat wire action spring
H2 buffer (I think?)
Troy sights and TRX xtreme (VTAC) rail
Centurion arms barrel
S&B Shortdot german #4 reticule in Larue LT-104 mount
L3 PVS-14 mounted on TNVC's Aimpoint twist off base (thanks for the Christmas/taxtime Special TNVC. I need to get a lanyard for my helmet still)
Laser Devices DBAL-I2 green vis and IR laser
Surefire G2 with LED head
Tangodown forward grip
Magpul MIAD w/bolt core modded to accept 2 firing pin retaining pins and 1 cam pin
Viking tactics/ larue sling
Teardrop forward assist
Ambi safe

I'm probably missing something, but that's all I can think of now.

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 7:05:40 PM EDT
[#31]
OP, your rifle gives me a boner.
By the cleaning rod, (Viking sling, I thought it was!), and earplug in the triggerguard comment I'm assuming you've studied Kyle Lamb's EXCELLENT book "Green Eyes & Black Rifles".
What do I win?!

Eta: Viking sling
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 7:09:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 7:09:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Not at all, that is one sweet ass rifle. It's the helmet and the other tier 1- d specfor stuff that seems a little much. Unless there is some secret squirrel shit goin on in Nebraska that we don't know about.

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 7:11:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Quoted:

a $10,000.00 rifle should never jam.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 7:12:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Kinda crappy pics.
2 1/2 rod sections (long enough for a carbine length barrel, although a third would fit.)
.223 diameter brush
Patch attachment.
Oil and solvent bottle on the other side (not pictured)
Patches in side compartment.

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 7:12:44 PM EDT
[#36]
I have met you before

recognize the rifle

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 7:20:26 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not at all, that is one sweet ass rifle. It's the helmet and the other tier 1- d specfor stuff that seems a little much. Unless there is some secret squirrel shit goin on in Nebraska that we don't know about.

A little much for what?  Some folks spend thousands on a Harley pretending to be a tough guy.  Some like cool-ass tactical gear that could actually be useful some day. Seems like a pretty decent hobby to me!
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 7:25:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Op please explain how you attached the cleaning rod. I shoot Tula a lot and always seem to leave the rod at home. If I don't clean the chamber, I rip a case head off after three or four mags.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 7:25:54 PM EDT
[#39]
What exactly is the mission?
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 7:26:03 PM EDT
[#40]
You win.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 7:43:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Op please explain how you attached the cleaning rod. I shoot Tula a lot and always seem to leave the rod at home. If I don't clean the chamber, I rip a case head off after three or four mags.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

I got the Idea here
I modded the technique a little, but I need to figure out a reusable rear attachment point instead of cutting the ziptie every time.

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

If there was secret sqirrel shit going on there wouldn't be pics on the internet. But you got me. I grew up on a acreage in the middle of nowhere with dysfunctional parenting. Ny bro was a computer geek, I did guns. I only NEED my Glock 19, but seeing as this is America I figured why the hell not?
I wich I had pics of the smoke grenade pouch on the  back of the plate carrier with it open. It carries a can of mountain dew and a clif bar.  You really should try the white chocolate and macadamia nut clif bars. they're really good.
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't carry it for me. I carry it for the blokes who think a stuck case could never happen to them, but inevitably does.  I don't shoot wolf or tula anymore, either.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 7:45:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Somewhere along the line I found some .05 Oz bottles that fit perfectly in the TD vert grips.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 8:08:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
OP, your rifle gives me a boner.
By the cleaning rod, (Viking sling, I thought it was!), and earplug in the triggerguard comment I'm assuming you've studied Kyle Lamb's EXCELLENT book "Green Eyes & Black Rifles".
What do I win?!

Eta: Viking sling

You win............................................a free monkey.

Have you read his new pistol book? I haven't yet. I'm still waiting to get an order together from him (that and I'm broke).
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 8:22:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I only NEED my Glock 19, but seeing as this is America I figured why the hell not?

Well posted sir.  Nice fucking gear.  Awesome looking rifle.  

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 1:06:21 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Most of that 10000 comes from the optics, which have nothing to do with the operation of the bolt,etc.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 2:05:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

That is a relatively uneducated opinion to have.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 2:26:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

A $10,000.00 rifle, properly maintained and cleaned, and shot with good ammo, should very rarely jam.

Shit, I have yet to have an issue with a Rock River I have.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 2:55:53 PM EDT
[#48]
You have a very nice rifle and some really cool gear, very tastefully done.  I noticed you are using a Centurion barrel, I have a couple of them in both midweight and lightweight.  What kind of accuracy does your's yield?  Factory or handloads?

Just curious.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:08:41 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
You have a very nice rifle and some really cool gear, very tastefully done.  I noticed you are using a Centurion barrel, I have a couple of them in both midweight and lightweight.  What kind of accuracy does your's yield?  Factory or handloads?

Just curious.

I got about an inch and an eighth ten shot group with PRVI 75gr OTM at 100 yards with a Mk 4 Leupold 6.5-20x50. I have been meaning to try different ammo at longer ranges, but whenever I get of work it wams that its blowing 15+ mph.  Then I lent the scope to a friend for a bolt gun of his, so eventually I might get around to more testing (eventually)
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:26:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

A $10,000.00 rifle, properly maintained and cleaned, and shot with good ammo, should very rarely jam.

Shit, I have yet to have an issue with a Rock River I have.

The OP looks like he runs his gear relatively hard, given that mags and ammo are the weak point in the rifle "system" it would be in his benefit to have the tools to address a malfunction.  It is up there with purposely inducing jams and malfunctions to practice clearing them.  
I am sure your RRA is dependable as clockwork but at some point it like every other mechanical thing it will fail.  When it does you should probably have the tools on hand to deal with it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top