Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/30/2011 9:04:40 PM EDT
Sarah Winchester (1839 - 1922), the heiress to the Winchester Repeating Arms fortune, was once told by a psychic that the spirits of those killed by Winchester rifles would haunt her forever, unless she built a house and "never stopped building" and adding on to it.

In San Jose California, she began with an eight room ranch house, and turned it into one of the strangest houses ever built.

As she grew older, this fear of vengeful spirits from beyond the grave drove her to increasing madness.

(Sorry, won't embed.  You'll have to follow the link).

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 9:11:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I was there about three years ago. Very strange house.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 9:14:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Did the tour with the wife unit a few years back.  It was far more interesting than the apparently more widely known "spot" near Santa Cruz.  I've always wanted to be an eccentric rich old person.  Looks like I am only succeeding at the first and third adjective.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 9:26:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I was there about three years ago. Very strange house.

I was there about 20 years ago.  Probably still just as strange.  
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 9:27:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I saw it back in 2000
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 9:29:10 PM EDT
[#5]
What is it with rich people and the paranormal bullshit.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 9:41:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

It's an heir thing - One of the benefits of inheriting huge amounts of money is that it allows you to devote 100 percent of your time to pursuing All Manner Of Stupid Things.

Plus, when you're filthy rich, you tend to surround yourself with people who won't tell you that you're nuttier than a squirrel turd.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 9:43:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Was there about six weeks ago.

Seriously messed up person. I can't imagine the crazy it must have took to build something like that.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 9:44:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's an heir thing - One of the benefits of inheriting huge amounts of money is that it allows you to devote 100 percent of your time to pursuing All Manner Of Stupid Things.

Plus, when you're filthy rich, you tend to surround yourself with people who won't tell you that you're nuttier than a squirrel turd.

So no little kid saying granny is a nutbag, ala the emperor has no clothes (and is also a nutbag). Got it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 9:52:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

She had good reason. Google up the tragedy in her life.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 10:24:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Sounds like she haunted herself.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 10:25:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 10:30:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Been there many times,  I worked at Western Mountaineering that was across the street when I was going to school.

I loved the 2 inch high steps and the short doors.      If you get a chance the Halloween night tours by flashlight are pretty cool.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 11:38:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Cool place. Used to work across the street in Santana Row. Always nice to look outside and see it everyday
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top