Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/1/2006 5:20:57 PM EDT
I introduce my newest additions:

#1: 30" Barrel, serial prefix puts it made in 1918: 655XXX

#2: 28" Barrel, serial prefix puts it made in 1899: 76XXX

#3: 26" Barrel, serial prefix puts it made in 1907: 365XXX__Unfortunately this one does not match, the reciever was made in 1907, but the barrel was made in 1905 with a prefix of 258XXX

Now for a group hug:

Also and maybe one of gents out there can help me with this one, #3 has different barrel markings than the rest:

Normal markings on #'s 1&2

#3's markings

Any thoughts/comments.

#'s 1&2 I bought today for $250 a piece, and #3 I have had a while($300). I'm going to buy everyone that I see, these old girls feel like they have more history and soul than your average milsurp rifle.
These were someone's grandfathers guns, the outlaw stories that these could tell, back in the days when nature's bouty was an undepletable resource.

Just thought I'd share
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:24:16 PM EDT
[#1]
If they were mine. i would try to find a replacement barrel for one and make it into a trench gun. Complete with heat shield and bayo lug.

ETA or try to find an original....which Im no expert but would suspect that they would run at least 1k. Hell though I could be way off
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:24:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Gonna have to dig mine out and look at it.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:37:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice!  Those are sweet!!

Cheers
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:39:46 PM EDT
[#4]
My crappy camera won't take a closeup worth a shit and the rest aren't much better but here's mine.

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:08:36 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
If they were mine. i would try to find a replacement barrel for one and make it into a trench gun. Complete with heat shield and bayo lug.

ETA or try to find an original....which Im no expert but would suspect that they would run at least 1k. Hell though I could be way off

Trench guns are highly overrated. If you want one for a shooter, any of the 97's above will be fine and set you back a lot less money.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:20:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Kill my first goose with one very similar to the first one.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:54:10 PM EDT
[#7]
The Cowboy Action Shooters will pay 2 or 3 times what you paid for these old '97's. Don't do anything to them, keep them just like they are.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:58:28 PM EDT
[#8]
I have all original parts. Made in 1907. Bought it at a gunshow a couple weekends ago  for $410.

I'll tell you one thing, this thing knocks you back when you fire it!

My favorite shotgun to shoot though.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:09:07 PM EDT
[#9]
My friend who owns a local shop, he's an older gentleman, said the 1899 one the oldest one he had seen yet.

Kinda weird that the oldest one was in the best condition.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:14:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Needs an ACOG, a pistol grip stock, a TacStar side shell holder, a SureFire fore end, an EOTECH and some sort of a laser.....
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:14:42 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Trench guns are highly overrated. If you want one for a shooter, any of the 97's above will be fine and set you back a lot less money.

What do you mean?
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:18:30 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Needs an ACOG, a pistol grip stock, a TacStar side shell holder, a SureFire fore end, an EOTECH and some sort of a laser.....

Blasphemer

Gonna have to back in time and give the set up your describing to one of our boys, prolly make the Germans wet themselves.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:21:19 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Blasphemer

Gonna have to back in time and give the set up your describing to one of our boys, prolly make the Germans wet themselves.

didnt the shotgun already do that in the 1st WW,
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:02:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Here is mine

It was made in 1949 and, except for the stock, is all original.  It has the US Armory stamps on the reciever.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:09:06 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Here is mine

www.hunt101.com/img/372589.jpg

It was made in 1949 and, except for the stock, is all original.  It has the US Armory stamps on the reciever.

Wow, very nice.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:01:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Bump for you morning type folks
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:11:26 AM EDT
[#17]
I have two take down models. One's being restored as it was given to me in a box of rusted parts and the other is just a reciever, trigger guard, barrel and mag tube. I'll get it restored when I have the money.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top