Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/10/2005 11:00:10 AM EDT
I'm curious what your experiences with and impression of the United Way are.

Are you forced to give at your workplace?  If so how are you forced?

Would it bother you if your local United Way officially endorsed a ballot issue that would allow the state to keep billions of dollars in tax revenue (that are otherwise given back to the citizens)?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 11:04:15 AM EDT
[#1]
UW=organized charatable crimne
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 11:06:54 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Would it bother you if your local United Way officially endorsed a ballot issue that would allow the state to keep billions of dollars in tax revenue (that are otherwise given back to the citizens)?

We are "expected" to. TS. My wife has $ withheld at her school and is glad to go that route. I give directly to the charities I favor.

Noooooooooo, I'd be tickled to death.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 11:07:14 AM EDT
[#3]
United Way = teh suck!

I am not forced to give to it, and don't.  I like donating to real charitable organizations.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 11:07:33 AM EDT
[#4]
I call it the United Waste

I give a LOT to charity already. I don't need to be directed to do it by anyone and I resent the idea that I do.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 11:08:09 AM EDT
[#5]
F them!  They are anti-gun crooks!
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 11:08:10 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We are "expected" to. TS. My wife has $ withheld at her school and is glad to go that route. I give directly to the charities I favor.

Noooooooooo, I'd be tickled to death.

Why?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 11:09:07 AM EDT
[#7]
the uninted way.
nothing like workplace extorion.
"we will give you a raise but only if you donate to the UW."
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 11:15:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Off Topic.   Not U.W.  But Lighted Way, Wife and her co- workers have a office that treats handicapped folk, I will be donating my time for a day or two installing a desk , bolted into concrete, and what ever else they need done ,before they start a new school schedule.

I thank the Lord my little one is healthy.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 11:21:36 AM EDT
[#9]
"not mandatory but highly recommended you participate" came directly from the HR mgr's mouth.

I asked him if he realizes he just broke company policy about solicitation?

Told him I would not be attending the "presentation" or filling out a form.  I do not want anything to do with a corrupt organization.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 11:26:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Highly suggested in my company.  Or else you get on a list where it has been suggested that you won't make your promotion to next grade level.

Believe me it's a crock.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 11:40:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 11:45:19 AM EDT
[#12]
The United Way takes a cut (that percentage is published) out of your donation in order to bundle it with others and make it look like they are sending a large amount to the charities on their "approved list".  

Should you wish to direct your contribution to a specific charity on their list, that charity will not get an additional nickle.  Yes, your money will be sent to the organization that you wish, but other monies will be adjusted so that the relative percentage going each of the member organizations will be unchanged.  

If you want to help a specific charity, send your donation directly to that charity - they will get your full contribution without the United Way taking out their fee.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 12:06:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Wow! the UW sounds really creepy.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 12:13:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 12:35:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Ok... I'll admit my bias straight up.  My wife is this year's campaign chair.  I've been a division leader for the past two years.  I believe in United Way.  I think it helps get more donated money to charitable orginizations.  I'm on the board of a local non-profit.  Money is hard to come by and and you have to scratch for every penny.   The UW is only a small part of our yearly budget, but a lot of good orginizations rely heavily on it.  

I understand about the pressure at work.  It should not manditory.  That sucks.  However, the amount of participation of employees in a company does reflect on that company.  I work for a local PD.  We strive for 100% participation.  We want to show that we actually care about our community and give back to it.  

As far as the UW keeping the money, the vast majority goes to the recipient organization.  I think it's something like 2% to national UW for licensing and administration.  About 6 to 8% stay at the local level to pay local employees, t-shirts, advertisement, etc.  The rest (about 90%) goes to the charitable orginizations.  

If you don't want to give, don't.  You're only hurting your community.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 12:47:47 PM EDT
[#16]
we have a UW campaign each year, I used to give now I dont, they do emphasize to get 100% of the pledge cards returned even if you put down 0%.  I dont like the UW because they dont like the Boy Scouts in turn dont like gays.  I figure a pvt organization like the boy scouts has the right to associate with anyone they choose just as I have the right to say where my charitable $ goes.  About every couple years I dejunk my house and donate it to local charity - that is if it doesnt sell on ebay first
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:01:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:02:58 PM EDT
[#18]
For at least another month, I work for the American Red Cross.

Right now, we're practically being beaten to donate to the United Way. The ARC has partnered with the local chapter here.

My money is, er, hopefully going to help impoverished Cleveland children.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:08:58 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

It is fucking stupid to assert that if I don't give my money away that I am hurting my community.

What if I create jobs?  What if I find people good deals on stuff they need?  What if I rescue kittens from trees?  What if I am a great basketball player bringing millions of dollars into the local economy?

Cram your rubbish right up your ass, where the UW belongs.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:10:11 PM EDT
[#20]
The United Way are a bunch of crooks.

If companies want to donate to them they should take it out of their own bottom line, not the employees.

Workplace extortion, through and through.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:11:40 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
The United Way are a bunch of crooks.

If companies want to donate to them they should take it out of their own bottom line, not the employees.

Workplace extortion, through and through.

But you are "hurting your community"!  
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:13:28 PM EDT
[#22]
DasBoot: Some of us give a significant portion of our earnings already. The "strive for 100% participation" thing is what drives me nuts. The higher ups at companies give you all kinds of crap for not participating - or God forbid, not giving what they RECOMMEND (I never do anymore) you give - so they can have a nice cushy party at the end of the year and rub elbows with their fellow United Wasters and brag about how much they "give".  

I give plenty: I do not need anyone guiding me on how to spend my hard earned money.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:14:43 PM EDT
[#23]
They try to get us to donate. We generally decline to do so because of some of the organizations that are receiving $$ through UW.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:30:48 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Ok... I'll admit my bias straight up.  My wife is this year's campaign chair.  I've been a division leader for the past two years.  I believe in United Way.  I think it helps get more donated money to charitable orginizations.  I'm on the board of a local non-profit.  Money is hard to come by and and you have to scratch for every penny.   The UW is only a small part of our yearly budget, but a lot of good orginizations rely heavily on it.  

I understand about the pressure at work.  It should not manditory.  That sucks.  However, the amount of participation of employees in a company does reflect on that company.  I work for a local PD.  We strive for 100% participation.  We want to show that we actually care about our community and give back to it.  

As far as the UW keeping the money, the vast majority goes to the recipient organization.  I think it's something like 2% to national UW for licensing and administration.  About 6 to 8% stay at the local level to pay local employees, t-shirts, advertisement, etc.  The rest (about 90%) goes to the charitable orginizations.  

the problem lies in the fact that the UW program becomes flat out extortion by companies wanting to APPEAR caring. The fact is they would piss on the people if they were on fire if their wasn't a tax break associated with it. With my company it's actually an accounting issue. The region gets "tax" credits based on the donations of employees to the program. thus there is MAJOR pressure to have everyone donate the most possible.

Don't forget the high overhead associated with UW.  I think there was a scandle about 15 years ago when it was found that UW employees had some pretty good sized salaries.....all of which were paid with donations.

I'm with others.  If I want to give $100 to the boy scouts I'd like to see them get the whole $100 and NOT $90 which is what they would get if I gave the $100 to UW.  Plus, I like to have complete control of my donation capitol and don't want any of it to go to anti-gun or pansy liberal causes which I don't support.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:44:53 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

the problem lies in the fact that the UW program becomes flat out extortion by companies wanting to APPEAR caring. The fact is they would piss on the people if they were on fire if their wasn't a tax break associated with it. With my company it's actually an accounting issue. The region gets "tax" credits based on the donations of employees to the program. thus there is MAJOR pressure to have everyone donate the most possible.

Don't forget the high overhead associated with UW.  I think there was a scandle about 15 years ago when it was found that UW employees had some pretty good sized salaries.....all of which were paid with donations.

I'm with others.  If I want to give $100 to the boy scouts I'd like to see them get the whole $100 and NOT $90 which is what they would get if I gave the $100 to UW.  Plus, I like to have complete control of my donation capitol and don't want any of it to go to anti-gun or pansy liberal causes which I don't support.

For some of those highly-paid UW officials, their salaries just weren't enough.  Look up how many times MILLIONS were outright embezzled.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:47:48 PM EDT
[#26]
I forgot to ask the local UW spokesperson if they'd make sure my contribiution would go to Adopt-a -sniper (AmericanSnipers.org.)  I would've asked that just to see the look on her face!
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:50:27 PM EDT
[#27]
After paying into UW for 15 years, I got into a situation where I asked for their help, back in the '80s.  Was basically told flat out that I was the wrong race and the wrong gender.

Fuck 'em.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:57:30 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It is fucking stupid to assert that if I don't give my money away that I am hurting my community.

What if I create jobs?  What if I find people good deals on stuff they need?  What if I rescue kittens from trees?  What if I am a great basketball player bringing millions of dollars into the local economy?

Cram your rubbish right up your ass, where the UW belongs.  

Wow... nice post there.  Do you feel like a bigger man for cussing someone out on the internet??  

Yes, the examples you give would help the community, but that wouldn't change the fact that worth while charitable organizations are still having trouble meeting budget... because people like you decide to not only give, but to run a good organization down.  If you weren't aware, the local United Way controls the money that is given in your community.  That means it goes to local charities.  I dont know about your neck of the woods, but I like to support things like Meals-on-Wheels, The Children's Advocacy Center, BOY SCOUTS (Our county UW gives to local boy scout troops) and the rest of the 29 other local charities.  

Torf, if you want to argue, at least have good arguments, not petty name calling.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:57:51 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I'd hand in my 2 weeks if a co. I worked for pulled this shit, then a couple yrs later I'd find out what mgrs bought Jeeps .

I guess 20-30% of my gross earnings to my church hurts the community and starves millions of crack mothers .  I contribute where I think it's most needed, not what's best for some company's PR dept. or druggie.  To any UW apologists that may post eventually, go lick a salt block and save a gay heifer
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:06:31 PM EDT
[#30]
If I remember right, The Brady Bunch  or some other gun grab group was on the list to get donations from UW. I never participated after that and refused to have anything to do with it from then on. Got a bunch of pressure and crap over it. But it was my principle at stake. I refused to even sit through a presentation after the guy danced around the question when I asked him outright if indeed the Brady Bunch got donations. I walked out of the meeting.

I refused to turn in the cards and have threatened EEO action against management if they pressured me again about it.

I will look around for the link, but this was like 15 years ago.

Of course, I also have issues with American Red Cross as well that stem back from my time in the Army.

Nomex suit on: Flame away!
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:06:45 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
After paying into UW for 15 years, I got into a situation where I asked for their help, back in the '80s.  Was basically told flat out that I was the wrong race and the wrong gender.

Fuck 'em.

let me guess...white male???
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:11:35 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Nothing prevents you from donating directly to the worthy local organizations of your choice.All you do by not giving to UW is to cut out the middle man.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:15:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Im sorry...

I dont support Gangsters that use mob like tactics to extort money. They are Anti-Boy Scouts, But Pro-Crack Whore. As for one of the comments made about hurting my community...

Im a Vol Firefighter/EMT in my city, Im a member of the Vol Search and Rescue for my county. I Donate to the Boy Scouts (even though I never was one, and my son is not old enough to join yet) I donate time and money to the local Civil Air Patrol unit, and JROTC unit. (once again even though my kids are not even old enough to participate). So I really dont think the UW can top that type of contribution.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:19:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Would it matter if your local UW gave 100% of your donation to their partner agencies, and or you could designate some or all of your donation to ANY non-profit (501C3) organization?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:25:03 PM EDT
[#35]
The don't give to the Boy Scouts (after the whole homosexual crap thing) and I don't give to them.  This Eagle Scout considers their actions a slap in the face.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:30:59 PM EDT
[#36]
My local UW gives to the Boy Scouts.

You are correct that some chapters do not.

Each chapter can choose who they give to.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:31:44 PM EDT
[#37]
I wouldn't give the United Way a dime.

I support my community and give generously.

But not through those crooks.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:36:51 PM EDT
[#38]
The UW is pushed VERY hard at my office.  But is not required, nor is there any indication that your job is affected in any way by not contributing.  Generally they encourage by reminders, forms, speaches and the like.  They also encourage by generous raffles corresponding to your contribution (based on % salary).

In my area, the UW has a decent reputation of keeping the "overhead" costs under control and actually helping people out.  I donate, but I understand those who do not.

-Lazy
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:46:09 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Would it matter if your local UW gave 100% of your donation to their partner agencies, and or you could designate some or all of your donation to ANY non-profit (501C3) organization?

They tried that here; they said we could designate which organization received our dollars. We said no, as long as you send these organizations ANY money, we wont send you any of OUR money.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:14:59 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fuck 'em.

let me guess...white male???

Yep.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:17:56 PM EDT
[#41]
communist sympathizers....should be dragged through the streets and hung from the yard arm.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:23:48 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Fuck 'em.

Really?

WOW!  Thank God for St. Vincent DePaul eh?

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:24:41 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fuck 'em.

Really?

WOW!  Thank God for St. Vincent DePaul eh?

Sgtar15

What?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:26:00 PM EDT
[#44]
LarryG,

I am just surprised that's all.  St Vince De Paul is a Christian org that has helped me in the past, meaningf I hope you at least got some help elsewhere.

Sgat1r5
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:28:22 PM EDT
[#45]
I'll be damned if I'll give to them when they think it's ok for a Homo to be a Boy Scout Leader.

Not every Homo is a child molester but every male to male child molester is a Homo.

It's like walking in the woods with your son---If you see a snake,for the safety of your son you've GOT to assume it's a bad snake.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:30:52 PM EDT
[#46]
I have a problem giving my money to an organization were the president and CEO makes more then I do in a year.............
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:31:40 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
LarryG,

I am just surprised that's all.  St Vince De Paul is a Christian org that has helped me in the past, meaningf I hope you at least got some help elsewhere.

Sgat1r5

Actually, it just pissed me off and more determined to get by without any help, which I wound up doing.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:34:38 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
I have a problem giving my money to an organization were the president and CEO makes more then I do in a year.............

well then don't support the NRA either.....
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:39:11 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

And how much would that be( your salary)? Are you a CEO? A company president?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:51:46 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

well then don't support the NRA either.....

Oh STFU bitch...........
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top