Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/3/2001 11:19:00 AM EDT
[url]http://www.riverfronttimes.com/issues/2001-07-25/radarstation.html[/url]

Ya, screw the constitution, when you want to make an omelette, sometimes you've got to break a few eggs.

alphabeta121
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 11:36:37 AM EDT
[#1]
they listened to electronic music out in the woods, one was even quoted as knowing the going rate for mdma, that tells me that obivously this detainment and search was warranted. bending the constitution is perfectly acceptable when hippies might be involved.

And one of the guys drove a Thunderbird, now they haven't made those in what 2 or 3 years? Obviously hippys.

Better luck next time boys and remember it's easier to find the contraband if you know exactly where it's at in the first place, if ya know what I mean.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . [heavy]
[@:D] [8P] [smoke]   [pistol] [pistol] [pistol]
. . . . .  . . . . .  . . . . .  . .[heavy]
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 12:14:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Stories like these need more exposure, a good place to submit them is over at [url]www.libertynews.org[/url] [:D] Yah, ok its a shameless plug. But this is the reason that I started the site, we need to know when liberties are being abused by the government.
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 1:15:57 PM EDT
[#3]
How does this incident make the US a police state?
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 2:16:46 PM EDT
[#4]
It's a police state because everything we do comes under someone's scrutiny.  It's a police state because I can't drive down the street here without seeing a police car and wondering if today will be the day when it's my turn to get pulled over and shaken down, or maybe happening upon a "driver's license checkpoint" or "seatbelt compliance checkpoint".  It's a police state because we haven't the freedom to decide what to do with our own bodies.  It's a police state because even if you do your best to comply with every law and ordinance, you can still be victimized by the government.

You want me to go on?  It's just totalitarianism with a friendlier spin--we're all "crime prevention" and "anti-terrorism".  But we are all law-abiding criminals now.  You can't shine shit--It's a fucking police state!
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 4:38:38 PM EDT
[#5]
and the worst part is, I vote for republicans, even though they are the prime supporters of this crap.  Some democrats support "decriminalization" (read: encouraging more drug use without improving the safety of the actual substances), I say bullshit.  At this point in my life I'd vote for the RKBA over cognative liberty anyday, b/c once you lose RKBA its gone, and cog. lib. is already gone, but it seems to be working its way back into society b/c of intelligent albeit inconsitant people like Gary Johnson. (intelligent b/c he sees the stupidity of the drug war, inconsistant b/c he doesn't see the stupidity of the war on drugs)
Back to decriminalization, it defeats the whole purpose of drug legalization, which is to free up the resources spent fighting them, and to save the lives of the users.  Contrary to what you all hear nowadays, Heroin didn't use to be a death sentence from Hep C, AIDS, overdose, etc.  Heroin used to be sold by Bayer in measured doses of pharmaceutical grade purity, did people die in droves?  No, because they knew what they were getting and how much to do.  Does ecstasy have to be giving kids brain damage?  No, for two reasons, the first is that the government has systematically covered up all the research that demonstrates the ease of preventing the damage, and secondly it has banned the research into safer subsitutes (which are known to exist).

alphabeta121
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 5:06:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It's a police state because everything we do comes under someone's scrutiny.  It's a police state because I can't drive down the street here without seeing a police car and wondering if today will be the day when it's my turn to get pulled over and shaken down, or maybe happening upon a "driver's license checkpoint" or "seatbelt compliance checkpoint".  It's a police state because we haven't the freedom to decide what to do with our own bodies.  It's a police state because even if you do your best to comply with every law and ordinance, you can still be victimized by the government.

Obviously it's not too bad of a police state yet since you keep wondering if it's your day to get "shaken down" and that it hasn't happened to you yet.  It also seems like you have freedom to move your body in your truck and drive down the road and then worry if you are going to get "shaken down."
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 6:57:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 7:16:12 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm from the St. Louis area, so I heard about this. It's pretty sad. One of my friends at Wash U was in charge of a rave party in Granite City, IL with a bunch of graduating high school seniors. It was supervised, etc., but outside of the party some of the teens were drinking a little alcohol. However, no one was drunk. Well naturally, the cops heard about a "RAVE" party [:O] and sprung into action. There were 30 cops from the IL State Police, Granite City, Edwardsville, Collinsville, Madison County sheriff, and more. They found no drugs, and teens drinking beer. It's good for those teens of course, cause some of them lost their high school honors and scholarships for drinking alcohol, while still being old and responsible enough to pay taxes. The whole damn thing was ridiculous.

How could anyone not see this as an infraction upon liberty? People should be able to do what the hell they want to themselves, on their own private property, as long as they do not disturb me or violate my civil rights or property.

themao [chainsawkill]
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 8:11:33 PM EDT
[#9]
shit mao, when was that party?  we may have the same group of friends?
haha
my freinds from wash u were throwing a "rave" party in Granite City and a friggin legion of cops busted up the party, not once in the night but twice.  they threatened the DJ, "touch the record again son and i arrest you".
I was asking the cops for their warrants but they rushed me and said if i 'touched them' ie they bumped into me I'd be arrested so I said "fuck that" and backed off.
LEO's like that can suck it.

great party before it got tagged :)

alphabeta121
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 8:41:57 PM EDT
[#10]
I recently married a Russian gal in Russia. Things are really cool there. NEW FREEDOM! We were at the American embassy in Tashkent and we were waiting outside to get in I was admiring the AK-47 that the Uzbek National Guard was carrying. Folding stock. 16". Pancake muzzle brake. Kinda shitty wood. I looked  the guy in the eye and he seemed cool. I was grateful to him for guarding our embassy. So then a guy pulls up in a Lada and three girls get out to go to the embassy, and this guy immediately drops to a knee and pulls up on this guy and yells at him to "grab his ass with both hands and move it!" it was a no stopping zone. The local moslems had already blown up the first two stories in a beautiful 40 story bank near the capital, and I could tell this Uzbek guard really was gonna burn that guy if he even looked like a car bomber for another instant. They were given their freedom in Russia and The Independant states through legislative petition. Ours was bought with blood. That is why the red stripes on the flag. They symbolize the bandages.
 Want to know my wife's opinion of the USA? She said one night, "you know, Its like "The Police" is a political party".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top