Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/19/2006 4:08:55 PM EDT
We've all seen the pics of our SF guys driving around Asscrackistan and other such places in their Toyota Tacomas and 4 Runners.  However, I don't recall ever seeing what types of tires they use on them.  My gut tells me its BFG AT's, but I would think that more aggressive tires would be prefered.  

Anyone know?

-K
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 4:10:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd imagine they'd run BFGoodrich Baja T/As.  Those are supposed to be the end-all in off-road tires.  Go anywhere and tough as all hell.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 4:11:40 PM EDT
[#2]
They use 4Runners, too?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:03:12 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
They use 4Runners, too?

I seem to recall seeing them, but I could be wrong.  I do know the UN uses them by the boatload and they're common everywhere, so they would be a good choice as far as spare parts and the like goes.

-K
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:04:17 PM EDT
[#4]
tag
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:09:16 PM EDT
[#5]
I would be willing to bet whatever tire came stock on the trucks...  

Will try to dig up the article, but many of the Yoda's you see over there are pretty much bone stock with only minor infield modifications

EPOCH

ETA: found Article Link

When I first saw these pictures as emailed to me by John H. and later Randy G., I assumed these were simply local Afghanistan Toyota Hilux trucks being used by our American Special Forces in country.   But when I took a closer look and saw that they were in fact "real" Toyota Tacomas, built in Fremont, California, it completely blew me away.    

What makes this so significant is that there are major differences between the Tacoma which is exclusively sold in the United States and Canada and nowhere else and the Hilux trucks which are sold everywhere else in the world, including the ones used by the Taliban and the Northern Alliance in Afghanistan   The Tacoma uses an entirely different suspension and frame and some (including myself) have questioned it's strength compared to the older Toyota trucks and the current
Hilux.    From these photos we can see that the Tacoma is being used under perhaps the harshest conditions imaginable for a truck and with very heavy loads, and they are apparently being used in combat!   There is no greater test for a 4x4 than how it performs in both desert and mountainous conditions in actual combat.   While this is the expected norm for any other Toyota it is very impressive to see that even the Tacoma can live up to the Toyota name.  And it's nice to see
that our troops believe the Tacoma is tough enough to put their own lives on the line with it.   No doubt, the Tacomas are holding up despite some questionable design features of the frame and front end.  

So, the obvious question is, why ship brand new Tacomas all the way from the United States, when Middle East, Europe and Asia is full of Hilux trucks, which include a heavier duty frame, suspension and diesel engines.    The answer is that was simply easier for the Special Forces to buy them from local U.S. dealers, outfit them as they needed and ship them over.   The reason why the 4 door Tacoma was chosen as the vehicle, is because Toyotas are very popular in Afghanistan
and they would not stand out as much as the Humvees.  In addition, the gas V-6 engines are much quieter than the diesel engines of the Humvees and other military transport vehicles and better suited to daytime and nighttime covert operations.  Finally, the Tacoma is a durable and reliable 4x4.

From Mr. Slim, via email:  A lot of the trucks came from Fort Campbell. Some of the mods Including all interior and exterior lights and door buzzers disconnected along with the radios.  Roll cage and mount for an M60 machine gun, WARN winch, cheap brush guard, and 2 antenna mounts. The 3.4 V-6 engines had no mods. that I know of.  One of the coolest things is that the front lights were changed to infrared for night vision.  

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:11:48 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I'd imagine they'd run BFGoodrich Baja T/As.  Those are supposed to be the end-all in off-road tires.  Go anywhere and tough as all hell.

I might be a little off base here, but I believe the smallest size the Baja t/a's comes in is 37x12.5. The Tacoma/4-runner would need about 12" of lift to clear those. And while the the t/a's might be the best for baja and desert racing, look at some national rock crawling events sometime. Not a single team runs them. All you see is BFG Krawlers, Goodyear MT/R's and Maxis Krawlers. The Baja’s simply don't offer the necessary traction for that kind of environment.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:50:32 PM EDT
[#7]

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:05:36 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I might be a little off base here, but I believe the smallest size the Baja t/a's comes in is 37x12.5. The Tacoma/4-runner would need about 12" of lift to clear those. And while the the t/a's might be the best for baja and desert racing, look at some national rock crawling events sometime. Not a single team runs them. All you see is BFG Krawlers, Goodyear MT/R's and Maxis Krawlers. The Baja’s simply don't offer the necessary traction for that kind of environment.

31x10.5-15
33x10.5-15
33x12.5-15
35x12.5-15
315/75-16
35x12.5-17
37x12.5-17

And I get what you're sayin' about rock-crawling, but that's a VERY specialized form of off-roading.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:25:31 PM EDT
[#9]
I sometimes seriously wonder if I should trade my beloved Trooper in for a Taco.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:27:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Here is a closeup...

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:28:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Bridgestones?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:30:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Tag.

Why I am interested in tires that SF guys would use is beyond me, but... tag.

I just hope that if I get tires like they have that I won't be called a poseur.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:30:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Why are all the Toyota trucks in that part of the world the same color. 15 years ago during GWI it was the same thing.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:32:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Totally off topic, but hell, it's my thread.......

How would a Jeep Wrangler compare in these environments?  Say for the sake of argument that they put heavier springs on them to handle greater weight, and got Unlimiteds for more room.  Throw in the Rubicon package for kicks.

Also, how would the Colorado's compare to the Taco's in an SF role?

-K
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:33:36 PM EDT
[#15]
They're gonna get a ticket for no plates.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:34:12 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Totally off topic, but hell, it's my thread.......

How would a Jeep Wrangler compare in these environments?  Say for the sake of argument that they put heavier springs on them to handle greater weight, and got Unlimiteds for more room.  Throw in the Rubicon package for kicks.

Also, how would the Colorado's compare to the Taco's in an SF role?

-K

Next time Im toolin around A-stan, I'll let you know...
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:36:57 PM EDT
[#17]
found a better one

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:38:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Screw the tires, where can I get a  SAW mount?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:41:25 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm pretty sure that these are BFG rugged trails, as thats what comes on it stock plus the pictures do not look like they are the all terrains.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:41:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Nice tactical desert-red.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:43:14 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I'm pretty sure that these are BFG rugged trails, as thats what comes on it stock plus the pictures do not look like they are the all terrains.

Quoted:
found a better one

media.militaryphotos.net/photos/albums/Special_Forces-Afghanistan/40239511spec_20020315_00120.jpg

No shit?  Hang on while I make Sd_Kfz_182's pic bigger and maybe we can see what it says on the side of them.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:45:05 PM EDT
[#22]
a mix of stock/OEM 265/70-16 Bridgestone Dueler A/T and BFGoodrich's.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:47:44 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I would be willing to bet whatever tire came stock on the trucks...  

Will try to dig up the article, but many of the Yoda's you see over there are pretty much bone stock with only minor infield modifications

Yep.  They look like the OEM tires.  My 2004 Tacoma came with BFG Rugged Trails.  In other regions of the country, the 2004's came with Bridgestone Dueler tires, stock.

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:00:37 PM EDT
[#24]
What kind of thermal is that on the 240?  Actually, it might not even be a TI.  Anybody?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:04:26 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Why are all the Toyota trucks in that part of the world the same color. 15 years ago during GWI it was the same thing.

That part of the world??  They're from Kentucky!!

(Read the article EPOCH posted)
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:18:24 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

All I saw were white with some sort of stripe like decals.  And almost every single one I saw, other then the nice new SUV's driven by people with money, looked the same.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:25:41 AM EDT
[#27]
I've got a picture in a book I'm reading about Operation Anaconda, that shows the vehicles the SF were using.  They did also use 4 Runners.  

So how about the Colorados/Wranglers?  How would they hold up?

-K
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:38:23 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I've got a picture in a book I'm reading about Operation Anaconda, that shows the vehicles the SF were using.  They did also use 4 Runners.  

So how about the Colorados/Wranglers?  How would they hold up?

-K

Purely my opinion follows:

Colorado needs time to mature. I'm not convinced they're up to snuff yet.

Wrangler could likely handle the terrain and job easily- but for two things: Cargo room and parts/service.

Neither would likely "fit in" though- I've seen tons of those 4 door Toyotas or whatever they are in videos and newsfeeds from the sandboxes but never a single Wrangler.

FWIW my Delta Farce code name is "Macman37" too.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:39:53 AM EDT
[#29]
Tires are tactical because they are black
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:43:20 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

This thread is tactical. Because I said so. (I love that people - marketers especially - slap "Tactical" on everything... I laugh when I read it anymore...)
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:48:17 AM EDT
[#31]
I love the hilux, I wish I could get one in the states.  I settled for a gas toyota.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:48:49 AM EDT
[#32]
Are they choosing those tires for any specific reason or is it just because Toyota says they are good enough and they come stock?  

Wouldn't Goodyear MTR's, Interco Swampers or Trxus, or BFG Mud Terrains be better tires?

-K
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:49:27 AM EDT
[#33]
Why do we care? I know what tires I like, for the driving I do.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:50:51 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
What kind of thermal is that on the 240?  Actually, it might not even be a TI.  Anybody?

Its an Av-pvs-10, day night scope... I^2 not Thermal.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:52:29 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This thread is tactical. Because I said so. (I love that people - marketers especially - slap "Tactical" on everything... I laugh when I read it anymore...)

an extremely overused word IMO.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 10:00:01 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

an extremely overused word IMO.

extra-tactical posting action with that larger emphatic font size.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 10:22:14 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Screw the tires, where can I get a  SAW mount?

Hell, if the border situation keeps going the way it's going, AZ Toyota Dealers will make them standard equipment.  Call it the Tombstone Technical Edition.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 10:22:51 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Then so is my fecal matter.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 10:24:19 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You have a ulcer, seek medical attention
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 10:27:29 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope, just checked, it is brown.  I'm fecally nontactical
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 10:29:32 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

any corn in it?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 10:34:38 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

any corn in it?

I'm dark earth tactical.

(THREAD GOING DOWNHILL FAST!)
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 10:40:06 AM EDT
[#43]
I'll stop
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 10:41:14 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If it's Coyote Brown, you're übertactical.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 10:45:40 AM EDT
[#45]
I happen to be a Toyota 4x4 nut as well as an Arfcommer, so when we were hauling some brand new Hiluxes around the AOR last summer I paid close attention to the weird ass tires on them.  Here are some pics:

Those are Cheng Shins (yes they are made in *ohmygoditstheendoftheworld!!!!!* China.  They are the same pattern as old WWII jeep/Deuce&a half, etc used.  I guess it worked well enough back then, and it still does.  Those red american Tacos were a field expedient POS, they aren't designed for that kind of use (the US only Tacoma bears no mechanical resemblance to the tough ass Hiluxes).  Toyota thinks the American market only wants pussified soccer mom-mobiles, so thats what they give us, and they sell like hotcakes...  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top