Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/31/2003 4:15:59 PM EDT
I saw this movie at the theater last year. It's pretty good. Just a heads up for my arfcom brothers[;)]

8:00 PM Channel 2 HBO Saturday, 31

The Time Machine
105 min.
Simon Wells, the great-grandson of Time Machine author H.G. Wells, directed this 2002 adaptation of the 1894 novel.
Wells has moved the story from London to New York, where Prof. Alexander Hartdegen (Guy Pearce) invents a device that enables him to travel through time. After a series of adventures, he propels himself 800,000 years into the future, where the Eloi, a peace-loving people, have fallen victim to the Morlocks, a race of cannibals. Despite good visuals, Oscar-nominated makeup and Jeremy Irons' fine turn as an “Uber-Morlock,” the film disappoints, with lapses in logic and a script that misses the point of the novel. The film is rated PG-13 for violence. (VCR Plus+ 97747  

Cast: Guy Pearce, Samantha Mumba, Jeremy Irons, Orlando Jones, Yancey Arias, Mark Addy, Sienna Guillory, Phyllida Law, Max Baker, Alan Young, Myndy Crist, Omero Mumba, Connie Ray, Josh Stamberg, Laura Kirk
Rating: PG-13
Content: Violence
Category: Movie, Sci-fi & Paranormal
Director: Simon Wells
Release Year: 2002

Link Posted: 5/31/2003 4:36:12 PM EDT
[#1]
This remake of the Time Machine is interesting in that the future race of humans is brown- skinned as one would expect them to be as the races converge.

Besides that, it no where near as well done as the original starring Rod Taylor and Yvette Mimieux.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 4:39:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
This remake of the Time Machine is interesting in that the future race of humans is brown- skinned as one would expect them to be as the races converge.

Besides that, it no where near as well done as the original starring Rod Taylor and Yvette Mimieux.
View Quote

You can in no way compare the special effects of the two. I liked this one alot better than the original.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 4:50:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

You can in no way compare the special effects of the two. I liked this one alot better than the original.
View Quote

Im not comparing special effects.
I'm comparing movies.

Without special effects that movie is nowhere.
And what's with those hokey exposed vertebrae on the pale dude?

We've become used to movies as  vehicles for special effects, but offereing little else. Perfect example: Matrix Reloaded. Great special effects, but lousy movie.

Link Posted: 5/31/2003 6:41:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Perfect example: Matrix Reloaded. Great special effects, but lousy movie.
View Quote

In your opinion. I thought it was very good.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 7:09:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I read The Time Machine three times.  I'ts an amazing work.  The movie completely butchered it.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 8:11:13 PM EDT
[#6]
i was drinking pretty heavily when i saw this one at the theater last year, but i distincly remember not liking it at all...
(there may have even been some profane yelling at characters on the screen...)
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 8:18:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I read The Time Machine three times.  I'ts an amazing work.  The movie completely butchered it.
View Quote

Not as completely as they butchered "War of the Worlds" in the 50s. I think it is tradition to butcher H.G. Wells and make a movie that is almost contrary to his written work.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 8:32:50 PM EDT
[#8]
The original's a classic.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top