Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/24/2017 4:44:23 PM
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/8/2004 8:42:21 AM EST
This movie is awsome! I just saw it for the second time last night and it is really a good movie. The first time I saw it waas right after Saving Private Ryan and I thought it sucked then. But now that I have seen it again I have really enjoyed it. It is definatly worth a second look.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:47:28 AM EST
It one of the best war films ever.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:47:31 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/8/2004 8:49:52 AM EST by DriftPunch]
I'm in the minority here, in that I liked it too.

It's a bit of an artsy movie. If all you want is guns and John Waynesque dialogue, other movies are for you.

It's more of a drama than war move, and could be set in any war. EXCELLENT cinematography!!!

I did see one glaring error. If you notice in the beginning, when the two AWOLs are in the village where they spot the patrol craft, during a camera pan, a modern surfboard in plain view.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:49:31 AM EST
It has Sean Penn in it.....he makes me

I will never watch a movie with him in it, no matter how good the movie
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:50:16 AM EST

Originally Posted By VTHOKIESHOOTER:
It has Sean Penn in it.....he makes me

I will never watch a movie with him in it, no matter how good the movie

I hate Michael Stipe, but like REM music...
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:52:07 AM EST
Quite possibly the worst movie I have ever seen. I am dumber for having seen it.

I want those hours back.

It is my opinion that anyone who sees and likes this movie is lying to try to be an artsy movie loving dipshit.

I would rather watch a 12 hour barney marathon than watch that poorly made tripe again.

TXL
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:54:40 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:57:06 AM EST

Originally Posted By TxLewis:
Quite possibly the worst movie I have ever seen. I am dumber for having seen it.

I want those hours back.

It is my opinion that anyone who sees and likes this movie is lying to try to be an artsy movie loving dipshit.

I would rather watch a 12 hour barney marathon than watch that poorly made tripe again.

TXL

What he said.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:59:22 AM EST
I hated it. The only good thing about it was I had a free ticket to the theater when I saw it. If I had of paid to watch that POS I would have been PO'd.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:00:31 AM EST

Originally Posted By bigbore:

I want those hours back.

TXL

+ 1, almost as bad as Windtalkers.

Geeze that was a bad movie too

Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:13:12 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/8/2004 9:14:14 AM EST by vito113]
"This great evil, where's it come from? How did it steal into the world, what seed, what root did it grow from?...

This part of the script sums up the film…

Andy
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:16:01 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/8/2004 9:17:15 AM EST by Heavyarmor]
See Band of Brothers of you want to watch a really well made WWII movie/series.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:23:48 AM EST
One of my all time favorites.

I will admit it is a "different" kind of film -
but it does rest on my "best ever" list with:
Band of Brothers, Saving Private Ryan,
Heat, and Hamburger Hill.

Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:28:02 AM EST
When will they ever make a good WWI movie!! There aren't any for such a big war.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:30:18 AM EST
i had to watch this movie and read the book in a literature to film class. absolutely fucking horrible. boring beyond words.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:30:53 AM EST
All Quiet on the Western Front!

Just kidding, that movie SUCKED!
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:32:19 AM EST

Originally Posted By A2sights:
When will they ever make a good WWI movie!! There aren't any for such a big war.

I take it you haven't ever seen The Lost Battalion? That is IMHO one of the best war films I've ever seen, even with Rick Shroeder as the lead actor! That's saying a lot. LOL. It's on The History Channel pretty often, so check your TV Guide on a regular basis.

Oh, and BTW, The Thin Red Line has to be one of the suckiest war movies I ever saw. The best part of that movie was when the credits began scrolling. Really.

-CH
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:33:24 AM EST

armies taking turns running head-on into machine gun fire is hard to work with.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:34:06 AM EST

Originally Posted By thelastgunslinger:
It one of the best war films ever.

fuckin aaaaaa.......taking the bunker has to be the best thing ever put on film
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:38:31 AM EST
Who was worse?

Sean Penn?

John Travolta?

Nick Nolte?

Or the shitload of "stars" that wanted a cameo role in a war film right after Private Ryan came out.

It sucked major hind tit.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:44:29 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:45:04 AM EST

Originally Posted By rn45:
Who was worse?

Sean Penn?

John Travolta?

Nick Nolte?

Or the shitload of "stars" that wanted a cameo role in a war film right after Private Ryan came out.

It sucked major hind tit.

Sean Penn is an asshole surrender monkey who should be dropped into the tender, merciful arms of the Muslims in Fallujah, since he thinks they are such great people.

Nick Nolte had his day long ago.

John Travolta should have hung it up after "Saturday Night Fever" .

That being said.......I thought it was actually pretty good.

(BTW, George Clooney is a dickhead, too)
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:49:17 AM EST

Legends of the Fall
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:51:57 AM EST
Through the entire first part of the movie I kept wondering where is the war.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:52:16 AM EST
I liked it......
it can be a bit long winded, but it was a quality film.....
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 10:01:22 AM EST

Originally Posted By DoubleFeed:
The Blue Max was bad?

Thought I would go to my grave before I found another Blue Max fan
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 10:02:57 AM EST
The Thin Red Line sucked so bad I could not even finish watching it. But, I recently saw
one of the worst movies ever. If you really want to be pissed about wasting an hour and
a half of your life, then go rent The Bunker about German soldiers in WW2 taking cover in
a bunker complex. Any Jennifer Lopez movie is Oscar material compared to that piece of
crap.

Link Posted: 9/8/2004 10:29:25 AM EST

All quite on the Western Front

Hells Angels (1930) the one with the flying stunts by Paul Mantz

ANdy
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 12:26:05 PM EST
The movie is about men going slowly insane, or think they are. Read the back of the movie, then watch it. I first hated the movie, but really like it now.

The key is knowing that it is about men thinking, or going insane during the stress of battle.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 12:37:42 PM EST
I just watched it yesterday. The cinematography was excellent (I have an HD set, and the colors/views are amazing). The sound track was good. The story was mediocre at best. I kept checking my watch to see how far into the movie I was.

The director was trying too hard to "make" and epic war movie. The length alone is rediculous. 170 minutes? They could have done this one in 110 easy. The acting for the most part was decent considering what the actors had to work with.

I don't think I'll watch it again. It's too slow.

Link Posted: 9/8/2004 1:21:15 PM EST
I would really like to see a good World War 1 movie. Maybe something about the Marines in Belleau Wood. Plus, it would be cool if they used lesser-known period-correct weapons (1897 Winchester trench guns, etc. ) Maybe some aircraft-hell they could make that happen with computers!
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 5:07:41 PM EST
I think the only way I would have enjoyed that movie is if I had been smoking some serious weed. I started it off sober; and started drinking part way through. It didn't get any better being half drunk.

Yech.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 5:36:10 PM EST
It's a ww2 movie with 1960's dialog pretty sucky if you ask me. The scene storming the mg was well done.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 5:37:14 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 5:40:50 PM EST

Paths of Glory
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 5:44:33 PM EST
+1 for Lost Battalion. It is very good for a TV movie. IMHO
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 5:46:52 PM EST
My "further left than John Kerry" Dad loved it so I watched it out of respect and doing the father-son thing. IT STUNK. I concur that I, too, want those hours of my life back. Saving Private Ryan was 1000 times better. Attack Force Z with Mel Gibson was better than this piece of crap. When a dyed in the wool liberal loves a war movie, there has to be something wrong with it! I would be here all day if I had to list all the movies that were better than this. The few movies worse than this one are the great Stephen King books that they make into the worst of movies.

jd1
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:23:06 PM EST
Saving Private Ryan was a cartoon version of War.

Come on, be serious! What the bleep was this stuff:

Troops talking and joking as they patrol behind enemy lines.

One sniper shoots another sniper...bullet right through scope into eye.

All German soldiers were Waffen SS troops.

All German tanks were Tiger tanks.

Bad guy they let go turns up to shoot officer.

Bad guy is then shot by coward, who thus redeems himself.

Mortally wounded officer shoots at tank with pistol.

Stupid stupid stupid. Terrible. Just Terrible.

Thin Red Line was far more true to life.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:27:33 PM EST
I tried watching it when it first came out on video. I didn't finish it.

Maybe I should try again...
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:27:45 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:28:10 PM EST
I couldnt make it through that whole movie.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:29:25 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:36:09 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:42:07 PM EST

Originally Posted By SteyrAUG:

I want those hours back.

Not sure about Barney but 100% on everything else.

No movie with realistic combat scenes as good as TRL should be that fucking hard to watch.

What they said. I found myself, for the first time ever, using the FF button on the remote while watching a movie for the first time.

There was about 25 minutes of film worth watching in a movie that was 3 hours long.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:54:52 PM EST

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally Posted By StormSurge:
All German tanks were Tiger tanks.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seems to me in the end several differnet kinds of tanks were SPECIFICALLY identified by the observer. Apparently you weren't very observant

Sure, there were some SP guns. But this movie was made for idiots, and when they think German tank they think Tiger. So Speilberg gave it to them. Same for the SS troops.

As for the "Steamboat Willie/ SS stabbing Mellish" guy, there was a many-paged topic on that controversy on ARFCOM many moons ago. I don't think there was clear consensus on that one.

But Dekker WAS a Replicant!
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:55:57 PM EST
The Thin Red Line sucked balls.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:07:42 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/8/2004 9:10:56 PM EST by Alien]

Originally Posted By SteyrAUG:

Originally Posted By StormSurge:
Bad guy they let go turns up to shoot officer.

Two different German soldiers. Mickey Mouse is shot at the end but he isn't the SS guy who killed Mellish.

Actually he is the same one. Steam Boat Willy as he is credited as in the movie, lets that chicken/coward guy go because the coward stuck up for him. He then kills miller. That's why the coward shoots him at the end.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:09:02 PM EST
one of my favorite movies. I have some of the melanesian music here.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:09:34 PM EST
I will check it out.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 4:18:10 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/9/2004 4:22:54 AM EST by DoubleFeed]
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 4:21:02 AM EST

Originally Posted By rock71:
+1 for Lost Battalion. It is very good for a TV movie. IMHO

Another one here for the Lost Battalion.

I thought I read once that Rick Schroader was a gun guy.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top