Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/17/2002 11:13:25 PM EDT
I think it's a shame that this show is portraying Police as crooked as they are. How do you all react to this? Then again, I have to say that I bet every officer thinks differently about the show. If you look at it as pure fantasy entertainment, then maybe it's not so bad. I mean, how about those Grand Theft Auto video games where you play the bad guy and the more Police you kill and the more bad things you do such as murder innocent children, the more points and rewards you get. Yes, it's sick that companies even churn out such products. It just convinces me even more that they're just after money regardless of what they do. Do these products and shows enrage good faithful Police Officers? But then again, knowing some cops, I wouldn't be surprised if they played games like Grand Theft Auto, listened to rap music full of violence, and enjoyed movies with super cops mowing down hundreds of criminals. I guess the important thing is to distinguish reality from fantasy.
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 11:33:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Well i watched it to the point where he kills one of the guys on his squad and i stopped watching it after that, that totally ruined it i dont know if its gone farther down hill from there or not.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 12:06:04 AM EDT
[#2]
FChen17213,

First point:  I never watched The Shield and I never will.  When they first advertised it, they called it "Rampart."  The intent of the producers was obvious.

Second and last point:  I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that English isn't your first language and, as good as your English is, that your sentence structure, as it stands, doesn't convey the message you intended it to.  Perhaps you might wish to closely examine your post and edit it or post a reply clarifying what your message is.  Otherwise it would appear from your second to last sentence that you are trolling for a fight.  That isn't allowed here.

Dave G
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 5:40:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes Yes, I stooped very low when I watched "the shield".  It was a very disapointment, It was garbage!  I know of no police department where this could really happen.  Trash, is what it is!

[puke]
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 7:09:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Well, I don't think anyone else here thought that that was trolling or intended as a flaming post. If you do, speak up. As a matter of fact, I find your post to be more of that nature. Don't you guys think so? Since you're the moderator, I hope you ax this thread immediately if you find it offensive, and everyone will be on their way. FYI, English is my first language, not to mention my only language, and I meant EVERY word I wrote and still do. I did not in any way mean to start a fight or flaming war. If it makes you mad, delete the thread. You're the moderator. As far as the language is concerned, sentence structure is actually completely grammatically correct except the beginning of the sentence where it starts with "But." If you want to discuss English, I suggest you go back to college, finish high school, or get your GED. Since you seem like you're an ex-Marine, I'm surprised at your level of sensitivity. I have lots of respect for those who go through Parris Island or San Diego and put their lives on the line day in and day out defending our nation. As far as the show goes, do you ever wonder WHY shows like this become such hits? Maybe that'll make the thread more interesting. I will agree that shows like this do not accurately portray law enforcement. As offensive as your post can be, it will not affect the positive feelings and respect I have for the vast majority of law enforcement officers out there. Bottom line: I stand by what I write. If you want to delete it, fine. Do it now.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 9:14:33 AM EDT
[#5]
FChen17213,

We don't delete threads like this one.  We move them to a forum where they will be more appreciated.  This one is better suited to General Discussion.  

Moved.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 9:17:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I think it's a shame that this show is portraying Police as crooked as they are. How do you all react to this? Then again, I have to say that I bet every officer thinks differently about the show. If you look at it as pure fantasy entertainment, then maybe it's not so bad. I mean, how about those Grand Theft Auto video games where you play the bad guy and the more Police you kill and the more bad things you do such as murder innocent children, the more points and rewards you get. Yes, it's sick that companies even churn out such products. It just convinces me even more that they're just after money regardless of what they do. Do these products and shows enrage good faithful Police Officers? But then again, knowing some cops, I wouldn't be surprised if they played games like Grand Theft Auto, listened to rap music full of violence, and enjoyed movies with super cops mowing down hundreds of criminals. I guess the important thing is to distinguish reality from fantasy.
View Quote

As fantasy, it is quite entertaining, actually.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 9:27:13 AM EDT
[#7]
I have seen 3 episodes so far and enjoy the show.

However the "Sheild" has as much in common with Law Enforcement as the movie "Navy SEALs" has with the Navy.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 9:41:09 AM EDT
[#8]
I thought it was entertaining anyone remember the Buddy boys story on 60minutes? kinda along the same lines except the shield is dramatized just like all tv shows.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 9:52:28 AM EDT
[#9]
It's TV for God's Sake and a hell of a lot better than that network sitcom garbage...
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 5:21:58 AM EDT
[#10]
I watch it. It's entertaining.
Living in NJ, I have family that personally knew LEO's that robbed banks!![8D]
One town over, the cops were supposed to be "watching" a store on off hours. They were robbing the hell out of it!!!
I've always said "Give the cops a raise, or else they'll take it."[;D]
The only thing I dislike is the homo cop.[V]
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 9:15:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It's TV for God's Sake and a hell of a lot better than that network sitcom garbage...
View Quote
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top