Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 4/21/2016 11:14:11 AM EDT
http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/15278522/how-tiger-woods-life-unraveled-years-father-earl-woods-death

ESPN just came out with this article. Tiger would have been a SEAL if he wasn't a golfer.

Then there's the story of the lunch, which spread throughout the Naval Special Warfare community. Guys still tell it, almost a decade later. Tiger and a group of five or six went to a diner in La Posta. The waitress brought the check and the table went silent, according to two people there that day. Nobody said anything and neither did Tiger, and the other guys sort of looked at one another.

Finally one of the SEALs said, "Separate checks, please."

The waitress walked away.

"We are all baffled," says one SEAL, a veteran of numerous combat deployments. "We are sitting there with Tiger f---ing Woods, who probably makes more than all of us combined in a day. He's shooting our ammo, taking our time. He's a weird f---ing guy. That's weird s---. Something's wrong with you."
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:16:25 AM EDT
That's too bad. Amazing golfer, shitty person.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:18:29 AM EDT
Some of the richest guys I know are cheapskates

One guy who retired from my work, easily a millionaire, still comes in here to get free coffee and to use our postage, fax machine, copier, etc

Cheap fuck
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:19:23 AM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

You're referring to Eldrick circa 2006. The Tiger of today is a shitty golfer AND a shitty person.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:20:31 AM EDT
The SEAL story is no surprise. He is a notorious cheapskate. His public persona was a facade.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:20:40 AM EDT
This will not surprise many in the catering industry, ask any waitress.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:24:06 AM EDT
Quoted:

You're referring to Eldrick circa 2006. The Tiger of today is a shitty golfer AND a shitty person.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ya that's true.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:31:55 AM EDT
Not sure why guys would expect some other guy to pay for their meals.

I mean Tiger has always been a dick and the RIGHT thing to do would have been to pay for everyone lunch as a form of appreciation for taking the time out to show him things.  However, he's not obligated to.

Don't expect another man to pay for your meal simply because his check is bigger than yours.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:34:32 AM EDT
Quoted:

I mean Tiger has always been a dick and the RIGHT thing to do would have been to pay for everyone lunch as a form of appreciation for taking the time out to show him things.  However, he's not obligated to.

However, don't expect another man to pay for your meal simply because his check is bigger than yours.
View Quote

That was alluded to in the story.  People always think that celebrities with bigger paychecks should be picking up the bill, when in reality he should just be expected to pay as any normal person would.

However, you're right - for all the things the SWC did for him, a small token of appreciation would've been to pay.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:36:54 AM EDT
Not surprised. Heard he doesn't tip, ever. I was at a pga tournament one time inside the ropes. Followed tiger around for a while. I was 5-10ft away from him and the way he talked to people, he was just a dick to everyone.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:37:02 AM EDT
Quoted:
View Quote

I thought it was well known that he gives waitresses more that the tip?
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:39:29 AM EDT
I'm almost convinced he has Aspergers or is really high functioning autism.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:46:07 AM EDT
Quoted:
http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/15278522/how-tiger-woods-life-unraveled-years-father-earl-woods-death

ESPN just came out with this article. Tiger would have been a SEAL if he wasn't a golfer.

Then there's the story of the lunch, which spread throughout the Naval Special Warfare community. Guys still tell it, almost a decade later. Tiger and a group of five or six went to a diner in La Posta. The waitress brought the check and the table went silent, according to two people there that day. Nobody said anything and neither did Tiger, and the other guys sort of looked at one another.

"We are all baffled," says one SEAL, a veteran of numerous combat deployments. "We are sitting there with Tiger f---ing Woods, who probably makes more than all of us combined in a day. He's shooting our ammo, taking our time. He's a weird f---ing guy. That's weird s---. Something's wrong with you."
View Quote
View Quote

Maybe it's just me, but Tiger isn't the one that that story makes look bad.  
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:48:47 AM EDT

Quoted:

Don't expect another man to pay for your meal simply because his check is bigger than yours.
View Quote

THIS

Unless the SEALS were planning on putting out later that night, why would they EXPECT someone to pay for their meals???

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:50:23 AM EDT
Quoted:
I'm almost convinced he has Aspergers or is really high functioning autism.
View Quote

The dude has been rich and famous since he was about 16.
It wouldn't surprise me if he was socially retarded.
If I was tiger, I would want to pull out my credit card as little as possible and would always have a money person to handle those issues.
I also don't expect Tiger to carry around a wad of cash.
It wouldn't surprise me if he didn't fully understand the social expectations of paying for dinner, using up someone's ammo, tipping, etc.

My daughter is 15, she just got her first debit card. I make her pay for dinner and tip with her card.
She had no clue about tipping until now.  If she got rich and famous tomorrow,  I would never let her use her own card or sign a receipt etc.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:50:44 AM EDT
FPNI
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:53:30 AM EDT
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get what you are saying.   If it was simply we went to dinner with Tiger and expected him to pay, sure.

But it was, we did this favor for Tiger, gave him access etc., the decent thing of Tiger to do, just like anyone in that situation, would be to pick.up the tab.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:58:52 AM EDT
Quoted:

THIS

Unless the SEALS were planning on putting out later that night, why would they EXPECT someone to pay for their meals???

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

THIS

It sounds like Tiger basically invited himself to shoot with these guys. Using THEIR weapons, ammo, and time. It would be common DECENCY for a billionare to pickup the tab. I don't think they expected him to pay the full tab, but the least he could of done was grab the bill first then not sit there like a looney toon.

9/10 when I take new shooters to the range using my ammo, firearms, and time they will pickup the bill for lunch, coffee, whatever it is. I don't expect it, but it is a nice gesture. Some of these people make minimum wage.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:01:32 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:02:27 PM EDT

Great read
Thanks for posting
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:04:20 PM EDT
Quoted:

Get what you are saying.   If it was simply we went to dinner with Tiger and expected him to pay, sure.

But it was, we did this favor for Tiger, gave him access etc., the decent thing of Tiger to do, just like anyone in that situation, would be to pick.up the tab.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It should have been:

SEAL: "Separate checks, please."

Tiger: "No way, guys this one's on me.  Thanks for a great day, and all the things you do."

But it wasn't.  It was a bunch of grown men, staring at another man, expecting him to pick up the tab, which is pitiful enough in it's own right, but to continue to tell the story about him not paying for them, years after the fact . . .  

If you had Tiger Woods money and everyone knew it, and every time you went out to eat with people, they all just stared and waited for you when the check came . . .  that might affect the way you approach those types of things.

ETA:  For all I know, Tiger may have been thinking that they should pay for his meal, because they got to spend time with him.  I'm not defending him.  I just think that repeating the story about how you expected someone to pick up your dinner tab is poor form, and reflects more about you.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:09:23 PM EDT
Quoted:

It sounds as though they supplied him with large amounts of ammo on their dime.  Social mores escape many it would seem.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It sounds as though they supplied him with large amounts of ammo on their dime.  Social mores escape many it would seem.  

Yeah, I'm really not sure what part of that people are missing or not understanding.  I would think the ammo alone would be valued at more than the dinner tab
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:11:08 PM EDT
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually, we paid for the ammo.  Does that mean Tiger owes us a dinner?    
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:15:15 PM EDT
The ammo wasn't on their dime (it was issued) but the time and effort to change their routine for an outsider was on their dime. I'm sure they all had better things to do than play babysitter.

Common courtesy dictates that you pick up the tab when someone has gone out of their way for you. Maybe he didn't want to offend them by throwing money around, who knows. He just sounds socially weird.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:16:18 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:16:32 PM EDT
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He should have at least offered to pay since he got to play with their toys and use their ammo. Yet I have heard him and most other pro-golfers are all asshole. Just like most pro sport people. Michael Jordon being one of the biggest pricks there is and he is 10 times worse than Tiger. Then on the opposite side you get ones like Shaq that is one of the nicest guys you will every meet. Wonder why so much of a difference between them.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:17:19 PM EDT
Money does not equal class.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:17:33 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:18:01 PM EDT
For the price of a meal It would be great to spend a day with navy seals shooting stuff . Where do I sign up for this amazing day?
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:18:02 PM EDT
Quoted:

View Quote
View Quote

i guess he tips like a black guy and golfs like a white guy.
what did you expect.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:18:03 PM EDT

Quoted:
It sounds like Tiger basically invited himself to shoot with these guys. Using THEIR weapons, ammo, and time. It would be common DECENCY for a billionare to pickup the tab. I don't think they expected him to pay the full tab, but the least he could of done was grab the bill first then not sit there like a looney toon.

9/10 when I take new shooters to the range using my ammo, firearms, and time they will pickup the bill for lunch, coffee, whatever it is. I don't expect it, but it is a nice gesture. Some of these people make minimum wage.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

THIS

When you say THEIR weapons, exactly who owns them?  The taxpayer.  Who pays the most taxes at the table?  

(I would have paid for the meal. )
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:19:24 PM EDT
He is just a human.  Why do you expect that because he is a celebrity that he has no faults?
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:20:12 PM EDT
Quoted:
When you say THEIR weapons, exactly who owns them?  The taxpayer.  Who pays the most taxes at the table?    

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

THIS

While I don't disagree with you, as a tax payer, if you feel entitled to that weapon go try and get it. Let me know how that works out for you.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:25:13 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:26:51 PM EDT
Quoted:
View Quote

He's had everything handed to him his entire life...he is totally disconnected with what the normal person does on a daily basis.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:29:09 PM EDT
Quoted:
The amount Tiger pays in taxes we probably all owe him an afternoon of free shooting and burger, fries and a shake  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually, we paid for the ammo.  Does that mean Tiger owes us a dinner?    
The amount Tiger pays in taxes we probably all owe him an afternoon of free shooting and burger, fries and a shake  

The amount that I just paid on Monday probably entitles me to something from a lot of people.

Fookin FSA.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:29:40 PM EDT
Quoted:
The ammo wasn't on their dime (it was issued) but the time and effort to change their routine for an outsider was on their dime. I'm sure they all had better things to do than play babysitter.

Common courtesy dictates that you pick up the tab when someone has gone out of their way for you. Maybe he didn't want to offend them by throwing money around, who knows. He just sounds socially weird.
View Quote

Under similar circumstances I would have invited those guys out by insisting , up-front, that it was on me.
I would have added that if any of them found themselves in Texas near me to call and I'd do it again.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:42:58 PM EDT
Quoted:
< snip >

He's shooting our ammo, taking our time. He's a weird f---ing guy. That's weird s---. Something's wrong with you."
View Quote

View Quote

I'm not quite sure where to start.

How about IT WASN"T "YOUR" AMMO.  That was property of the United States Navy, and therefore, not the property not of the people at lunch with Woods.

I'll then point out there is this pesky thing call ETHICS LAWS AND REGULATIONS, back by the UCMJ for military personnel.  These place specific prohibitions on the giving and receiving of any item of value by a federal employee, including members of Naval Special Warfare units.  These rules apply both ways, and cap legitimate gifts at $20 per person per year.  I learned early on in my short fed.gov career that the really smart federal employee (military included) does not accept any gift from anyone when at work (family members are excluded from this, as are things like retirement gifts).  In addition, many corporations that do business with the fed.gov have policies that prohibit the giving of anything of value, including meals.  My last employer, for example, it was grounds for automatic termination.

Lastly, just because Woods is wealthy doesn't entitle anyone, including members of Naval Special Warfare units, to expect him to buy anything. That is thinking so far into the "give me my free shit" I am surprised to read that members of the Navy, particularly Naval Special Warfare, would contemplate it.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:43:18 PM EDT

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I heard he regularly stiffs waitresses.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:45:08 PM EDT
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup, this same thing probably happens any time he goes to dinner with someone because he has more money.  Shit's got to get old pretty quick.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:50:35 PM EDT
Quoted:

How about IT WASN"T "YOUR" AMMO.  That was property of the United States Navy, and therefore, not the property not of the people at lunch with Woods.

I'll then point out there is this pesky thing call ETHICS LAWS AND REGULATIONS, back by the UCMJ for military personnel.  These place specific prohibitions on the giving and receiving of any item of value by a federal employee, including members of Naval Special Warfare units.  These rules apply both ways, and cap legitimate gifts at $20 per person per year.  I learned early on in my short fed.gov career that the really smart federal employee (military included) does not accept any gift from anyone when at work (family members are excluded from this, as are things like retirement gifts).  In addition, many corporations that do business with the fed.gov have policies that prohibit the giving of anything of value, including meals.  My last employer, for example, it was grounds for automatic termination.

Lastly, just because Woods is wealthy doesn't entitle anyone, including members of Naval Special Warfare units, to expect him to buy anything. That is thinking so far into the "give me my free shit" I am surprised to read that members of the Navy, particularly Naval Special Warfare, would contemplate it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
< snip >

He's shooting our ammo, taking our time. He's a weird f---ing guy. That's weird s---. Something's wrong with you."

You must not have been much of a bureaucrat.

That wasn't a gift.  They were doing "NSWF recruiting activity"with assistance of Mr Woods.
Hey can I help,it if the drug rep,ordered 80 entrees and couldn't finish them and asked us to help eat them.
Now, if a bunch of major leaguers take you to the park and show you betting snd fielding and spend their valuable time with you , and the go to lunch
They have done much for you
You have done ZERO for them.
Most of us decent people, would pick up the check
though I realize ARFCOM is full,of cheap bastards but damn
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:51:12 PM EDT
I think he went into a tailspin after his dad died. I fully understand the anguish that comes along with that.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 1:00:10 PM EDT

Quoted:

View Quote

True.  

On the other hand, I'm anything but rich and if a bunch of SEALS take me shooting with their weapons and their ammo, I'm going to buy them lunch, because I'm not a fucking choad.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 1:00:15 PM EDT
Having had a brief run in with a couple of seals egos in my 0311 days, I prolly wouldn't be buying them lunch either if I got rich at some point. Prolly wouldn't hang out at the range. I'll stick with the force recon bubbas, now THOSE MFer were solid.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 1:00:26 PM EDT
Quoted:

He worked his ass off everyday to get to the top of his sport for awhile.He's had everything handed to him his entire life...he is totally disconnected with what the normal person does on a daily basis.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He worked his ass off everyday to get to the top of his sport for awhile.He's had everything handed to him his entire life...he is totally disconnected with what the normal person does on a daily basis.

Fixed that for you.  He wasn't handed shit.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 1:05:35 PM EDT
Quoted:
I'll then point out there is this pesky thing call ETHICS LAWS AND REGULATIONS, back by the UCMJ for military personnel.  
View Quote

Indeed. Some contractors have to set up special arrangements so FedGov employees can pay for donuts at meetings. Any other customers, it's "here, have a Krispy Creme." The feds have to cough up a couple bucks.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 1:58:40 PM EDT
great article, a lot of things I didnt know.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 2:03:23 PM EDT
Why would a grown man automatically assume that somebody else is going to pay for their meal?
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 2:05:15 PM EDT
I think it cant be underscored how WEIRD he is.  I doubt it was him being cheap as much as he's just an ignorant tool nag to certain social norms.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 2:07:29 PM EDT
Isn't he half chinese? Every older or middle aged asian person I've known has been a super cheapass.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 2:12:25 PM EDT
Quoted:
Some of the richest guys I know are cheapskates

One guy who retired from my work, easily a millionaire, still comes in here to get free coffee and to use our postage, fax machine, copier, etc

Cheap fuck
View Quote

I only know a couple of very wealthy people. There is a touch of paranoia with them thinking everyone is using them or after what they have (I'm sure they have reason to feel this way), and they are a bit jaded from everyone thinking they should always pay for everyome and everything simply because they can.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
An error occurred on the server when processing the URL. Please contact the system administrator.

If you are the system administrator please click here to find out more about this error.