Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2013 8:00:59 AM EDT
Watched the movie 'The Reef' last night. It's an Aussie movie based on a true story.

Three men and two women are stranded out in the ocean when their sailboat hits a reef and capsizes. The boat captain decides their best chance at survival is to swim to a nearby island. The island is supposedly a few miles away but out of visual range. One guy (who is a fisherman) decides to stay and take his chances with the boat. He has a beacon which works...but it's old and unless a aircraft passes nearby, it's useless. The two women and the other two guys take off swimming with wetsuits and a boogie board cut in half. Only one person survives. I won't say who so it won't influence your decision. So, what would you do?

I would have stayed with the boat.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 8:02:16 AM EDT
I wouldn't have been out in the ocean on a sailboat.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 8:03:59 AM EDT
If I can't see the island, I sure as hell ain't gonna make it swimming to it.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 8:05:12 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 8:09:05 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 8:09:10 AM EDT
Screw that. I'm not swimming where I'm at the bottom of the food chain.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 8:09:49 AM EDT
Originally Posted By 95BLuv:
If I can't see the island, I sure as hell ain't gonna make it swimming to it.

This

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 8:09:55 AM EDT

never get off the boat........

Link Posted: 1/21/2013 8:12:18 AM EDT
Don't leave the boat.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 8:13:14 AM EDT
Originally Posted By dubBinSEA:

http://www.wearysloth.com/Gallery/ActorsF/5910-812.gif

this
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 8:15:34 AM EDT

Fuckin' A
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 8:16:49 AM EDT
I would think it would be next to impossible to keep your bearings while swimming for the island.

I'd probably stay with the boat.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 8:17:31 AM EDT

Link Posted: 1/21/2013 8:19:12 AM EDT
Are either of the chicks hot? With a hot enough chick or chicks involved, it might be worth the risk if the reward was a Ginger/Mary Ann sandwich at the end.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 8:22:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/21/2013 8:24:29 AM EDT by superbowtie]
Who in thier right mind would swim unless you could see the land, or had a waterproof GPS. Wtf do you do when something 18 feet long and nicknamed jaws joins your party?!

Once you lost sight of the boat you would swim in circles.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 8:22:38 AM EDT
If I don't see it....I am not going for it
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 8:27:40 AM EDT

"..Cage goes in the water, you go in the water. Shark's in the water. Our shark...."
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 8:34:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/21/2013 8:49:40 AM EDT by marcushire]
If the boat is capsized but still floating then stay with the boat.

Isn't the first basic rule of survival to stay with the boat/craft/scene? Would be easier to see from the air (especially capsized) and you would have some place to stay in case of sharks. If need be, you can get into the water (for sun and whatnot) and climb back out. Just seems like it gives you more options.

Anyway, I remember a class I took in college. We broke into groups and the instructor gave us a scenario. We were together in a plane crash, all were physically okay. Just trapped in the middle of nowhere something like 100+ miles with a list of odds and ends that happened to be in the aircraft. It was a small regional college. Everybody in our group knew each other. We were all ex-Boy Scouts (several Eagles) and/or outdoor types. We took stock of what we had, did some figuring, and decided we could hike out.

We missed every single but of survival advice and made nothing but the worst decisions according to the 'outcome'. But I maintain that we fell into the category of 'other' when it came to those who could walk out and make it. I recall all of us were entirely comfortable with the idea.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 8:48:28 AM EDT
Originally Posted By marcushire:
If the boat is capsized but still floating then stay with the boat.

Isn't the first basic rule of survival to stay with the boat/craft/scene? Would be easier to see from the air (especially capsized) and you would have some place to stay in case of sharks. If need be, you can get into the water (for sun and whatnot) and climb back out. Just seems like it gives you more options.

Anyway, I remember a class I took in college. We broke into groups and the instructor gave us a scenario. We were together in a plane crash, all were physically okay. Just trapped in the middle of nowhere something like 100+ miles with a list of odds and ends that happened to be in the aircraft. It was a small regional college. Everybody in our group new each other. We were all ex-Boy Scouts (several Eagles) and/or outdoor types. We took stock of what we had, did some figuring, and decided we could hike out.

We missed every single but of survival advice and made nothing but the worst decisions according to the 'outcome'. But I maintain that we fell into the category of 'other' when it came to those who could walk out and make it. I recall all of us were entirely comfortable with the idea.

plane and wilderness is way better scenario. Would depend on how equipped you was and how remote of crash. There are men on here who can do 100+ miles.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 8:49:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/21/2013 8:53:11 AM EDT by Hyperformer]
I doubt I would listen to the captain that just destroyed the boat!

Not only that, but shouldn't you be able to see more than a few miles on the open ocean?

How would you navigate to this supposed island?

What about currents?

I'm staying put.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 5:24:02 PM EDT
Originally Posted By RRALower:

Fuckin' A

They split from the whole fuckin' program

Top Top