Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/11/2002 11:14:35 PM EDT
From reading another thread I thought I'd ask for your stories..

What caused you to say; "OHHH SHIT Where's my gun?" When you've obviously forgot your gun somewhere.

I remember leaving the jail and driving 20 minutes away to go have dinner with another copper. I got out of the squad and began to walk in the restaurant when my buddy saw me go white and my jaw hit the floor.

"Whats wrong?" He says...  "I left my gun at the jail!"  So now I drive all the way back... Ring the bell at the Sallyport and give the lame excuse that I left my ASP in the lockbox...

I felt like such a chode. I remeber more than one coversation relating stories like this and I always said there was no way I'd ever do it.
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 1:23:36 AM EDT
[#1]
About two months ago I was placing arrest in holding cell and had my G22 in a lockbox in booking. Another officer called for backup on a stop involving wanted felon. I ran out, jumped in my car, raced to the stop, by the time i got there suspect was in custody. I stood by for several minutes then cleared. I did not even notice until I was leaving and went to put my seatbelt on and felt this HUGE empty space where my Glock usually is. Man I was pissed at myself! I had also remembered several conversations in the past with me saying something like, " man, how the hell could you ever forget your gun?"

Luckily nobody noticed but me, but you could still see a big empty holster when reviewing my Eyewitness video. Oh well, I'm pretty sure it will never happen again....I hope!

jester
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 2:02:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Been there, done that.  I am in the habit of securing my duty weapon and backup in the trunk of my patrol car when at the jail.  It is secure in there, and if I leave in a hurry, I know it is going with me.  

Just a thought.  My AR is safe in the trunk, why shouldnt my duty weapon be?
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 11:26:56 AM EDT
[#3]
I just put my car key in the lockbox with my gun.  If I go to my car and I have no key, then I know I have no gun either.  Haven't forgotten it yet, and hopefully with this method I won't.

SeMPer Fi
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 11:50:05 AM EDT
[#4]
We have a reserve officer, he has been with the dept. for 40+ years, and is now 70 years old.  They don't let him do much, but no one seems to have the heart to tell him he should retire.  Anyways, one day he comes in, and we're all hanging out in the station before we go out, bs'ing.  I glance over at him, and something doesn't look right.  I look closer, and his holster is empty!  I say "Bob, where's your gun?"  His hand drops to his holster, and his jaw darn near hits the floor.  The Sgt. had to run him by his house to get it.
Link Posted: 8/13/2002 8:14:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Great idea jorge5811, I'll start that one myself. Besides if there is a serious $#!^ storm at the jail there isn't a readily available set of car keys to escape in. Ours are attached to kubatons and are vividly obvious sticking up out of our backpockets. The lockbox would be a better place for it.

Used to do the trunk method at my previous dept but when I got here I was told not to. No valid reason why, but there are a lot of regs here with no reason behind them.
Link Posted: 8/13/2002 8:59:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Many years ago I was participating in an Army squad level skills test at night in the German country side.  At the time I was stuck with the carrying the radio for my squad.  I got a radio call, took a knee to handle the radio traffic. I got all tangled up in the massive amounts of shit I was carrying and put down my weapon (M16A2).  After the call I got up and trotted off to catch up to the squad.  I got about 100 yards away and realized I had left the weapon there in the woods.  I got that panicked feeling, hauled ass back and found it.  It was dark, there was no one around, no problem, no one saw me, or so I though.  Turns out the Captain and First Sargent were hiding close by observing the squad test.  They saw the whole episode through night vision.  I got called in the Captain’s office the next morning.  He handed me a rubber drill rifle, and instructions; The rubber rifle must accompany me everywhere I go, 24x7 for seven days.  The rifle can not leave the post (base).  I was effectivly confined to post for seven days, and yes I took it everywhere.  The shower, the shitter, the mess hall, all day during garrison work.  Naturally, If I was caught without it formal punishment would follow.  Of course my buddies tried to steel it a couple times.  By the 5th day I was holding it by the muzzle, butt stock dragging behind me.  I suppose it was effective punishment/training, I have never come close to misplacing a weapon again.
Link Posted: 8/14/2002 9:34:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Ive done it, thats why i have two more on me.
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 3:18:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Been there done that, don't feel bad.
Link Posted: 8/31/2002 4:55:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Done that before.  Lucky at the time I carried a 4 inch model 19 but I kept a 2 1/2 inch in my brief case and it fit the same holster.  After the one incident I started leaving a spare set of cuffs attached to the seat frame and just cuffed the weapon to the loose end.
Link Posted: 9/12/2002 1:46:31 PM EDT
[#10]
When I usually take someone to jail, I just put my gun, ASP, and Gas inside the trunk of my car. I don't usually forget to get my gun, but one time, after leaving jail, I forgot to reholster. I got a call to a possible Meth lab and me and other officers were approaching the house. I felt down for my Glock and my holster was empty...my face turned white.  Luckily, it turned out to be nothing and I had a jacket on so noone knew i didn't have my gun. And because my gun was inside the truck I didn't have to drive back to the Jail.
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 9:27:17 PM EDT
[#11]
I did that once when I was about a week into FTO.  I'd been used to riding as a cadet unarmed, so I never had to lock anything up.  Well, we got a disturbance call, my FTO and I ran out the door and flew to the call.  I noticed my belt was a bit light about halfway through the call.  I spent the rest of the call half hiding behind other officers and resting my arm on the holster so you couldn't see it was empty.  Never did that again.  Our newest officer finds it hilarious that he keeps forgetting his gun, he only left the station without it once though.  He'll be halfway out the door when he'll catch it, then he'll yell "I FORGOT MY GUN!!" and walk back toward the lockup.  That boy ain't right.
Link Posted: 9/18/2002 6:23:59 PM EDT
[#12]
I am glad I'm not along. I was at our jail booking in a prisoner. I had locked my handguns in a locker before going into the booking area.

While inside I heard another deputy calling for backup as he was involved in a large fight with several subjects. I was in such a hurry to get to him, I forgot my gun. I did not realize I didn't have my handguns until after we broke up the fight. One of the subjects asked why I didn't have a gun in my holster. So, being honest and truthful, I told him I didn't need it at the fight, so I left it in the patrol car.
Afterwards I did waste any time going
code back to the jail to rearm myself. It was a great self-learning experience!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top