Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/31/2012 5:10:22 PM EDT
John Piper wrote an article on the matter I found interesting and agree with him now, what do the rest of you think?

So, if you win, don’t tithe your lottery winnings to our church. Christ does not build his church on the backs of the poor. Pray that Christ’s people will be so satisfied in him that they will be freed from the greed that makes us crave to get rich.

Link Posted: 3/31/2012 5:19:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Lots of assumptions of what is in a person's heart.

I don't entirely agree with the article.

The false piety over the poor is annoying. If someone makes 13K in the US, and they acess all the government assistance and services available, they live a life that consumes more than a person making the median income who does not have those services and assistance available.

In addition, the very behaviors that cause a person to be in poverty, are the kind that cause them to spend 9% of that 13K on gambling...but since all their other needs are already met by you and me, of course they have discretionary funds for gambling.

Link Posted: 3/31/2012 6:02:40 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

John Piper wrote an article on the matter I found interesting and agree with him now, what do the rest of you think?

So, if you win, don’t tithe your lottery winnings to our church. Christ does not build his church on the backs of the poor. Pray that Christ’s people will be so satisfied in him that they will be freed from the greed that makes us crave to get rich.

I like money.

Link Posted: 4/1/2012 9:44:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks! That article and y'all make some darn good points.

America should be so free that if someone in their right mind wants to urinate away their entire disposable income on gambling––let them be free to fail (or win with those awful odds,) BUT don't expect me or you then to support them on welfare, or the myriad of "social justice" programs flying around which we productive members of society foots the bill for if they become LOOSERS in gambling.

Gamblers have to ask themselves one question: why does Las Vegas exist? Is it because they "give away" money? Heck no! The house statistically always comes out better than gamblers. HELLO!

ENOUGH! Responsible people are sick and tired (me for one working over 45 years) for paying fo rother people's mistakes.

Let people feel the actual consequences of their actions––intended and unintended. <but, we know that ain't gonna happen.> But, guys, the national "cookie jar," aka: US Treasuty is M-T! We can no longer subsidize bad behavior, let alone reward it.

P.S.
Personal life lesson: my Dad was steelworker––worked hard and played hard. When each of us boys (3) got to be about 14, he drove us up in the Chevy to the local horse racing tracks, with thousands of people flooding in to "make a killing." He stood there and said: "Boys, there are more "horses' asses" in the grandstand than are down on the track; why in the hell you think they can build places like this? With gambler's winnings getting paid out? Hell no. The house wins most of the time." Then, Pa would take out a dollar bill, fold it in half, and stuff it back in his well-worn blue jeans, and ask us: "Now tell me what I just did, boys?"

And we'd all sheepishly answer back: "You just "doubled" your money, Pa." And Pa, would smile, and say: "Yep––and don't you boys forget it." and then  drive us all over to the local custard shop where we each got a great ice cream cone treat from that doubled-over dollar! (gosh, I sure do miss that guy!)
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 11:11:27 AM EDT
[#4]
After seeing some of the pictures of Lottery Lines hundreds of yards long compared to the relatively empty Churches; it not hard to draw parallels to just who we worship in this Great Land.

Forget the Red letters that change my life…..I want the matching numbers.

God will give us what we want…to the point we choke to death on it.
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 5:32:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top