Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2005 12:02:07 PM EDT

What is an original worth?  How rare are they?  

If you had the opportunity to purchase a reproduction model how much would you be willing to pay?

I'm just guaging interest, if I got a manufacturers FFL I'd like to make some of these and I know people who have the tools to do so.

Even if it was a reproduction I think a lot of people would be interested just based on the history of the little gun iteself.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 12:03:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Depends how much. I'd always consider a new USP before anything.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 12:06:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 12:06:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 12:11:05 PM EDT
[#4]
The time to build them is now, so that when the revolution begins will will have them to distribute.....
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 12:12:12 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The time to build them is now, so that when the revolution begins will will have them to distribute.....

You mean with no serial numbers like the real thing?
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 12:14:26 PM EDT
[#6]
They were meant to be really cheap and easy to make. So what you could end up having is a low budget pistol, which does have a lot of appeal.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 12:16:56 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I'm not entirely sure that the Liberator would get approved for manufacture today.

+1
"Samstag Nacht speziell"

I would like to buy one - but only an original at cost.

ETA: Maybe would buy a new mfg one if it were built to EXACT specs.
Like the New KA-BAR knives built on the same blue prints.
No improvements - exact replicas.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 12:17:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 12:20:34 PM EDT
[#9]
A friend of mine had one years ago. We actually took it out one day and shot it. It shoots about like a Glock.

I'm not sure if you guys know this but the grip is hollow and has a compartment for bullets (maybe holds 3 IIRC).
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 12:21:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 12:22:17 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
A friend of mine had one years ago. We actually took it out one day and shot it. It shoots about like a Glock.

I'm not sure if you guys know this but the grip is hollow and has a compartment for bullets (maybe holds 3 IIRC).

I think it might have even had cartoon instructions (also in the handle) showing people to sneak up close behind soldiers, shoot them and take their gun.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 12:24:06 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
single shot smooth bore with a short barrel. not much use to todays gun owner other than a novelty or historical peice.

seriously, i'd probably buy one to add to the WWII collection but it would have to be CHEAP

+1
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 12:24:39 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I'm not entirely sure that the Liberator would get approved for manufacture today.

Who would be approving it? The ATF can only tell you something falls under the NFA, or if its imported laws they can say its not sporting, but other than that they have no authority to say you cant make it.

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 12:24:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Here's some info on the Liberator. It appears they made 1 million.

Link
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 12:27:33 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Who would be approving it? The ATF can only tell you something falls under the NFA, or if its imported laws they can say its not sporting, but other than that they have no authority to say you cant make it.

Kharn

Yes they do.
No "plastic pistols"
No "cop killer" ammo
No "Saturday night specials"

The last is what the Liberator would fall under.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 12:27:39 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Did your finger get pinched in the recoil?
IBTE - woohoo!

I can't remember how it shot. It was maybe 25 years ago. I just fired one round through it after watching my friend shoot it first. To be honest, I was concerned that it would blowup in my hand.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 12:34:21 PM EDT
[#17]
It would be an EXACT replica, with the replica instructions and packaging it came in.  Just like modern day replicas, built to exact specs and no different.  As for the sat night special, how would they classify a north american arms mini .22?  Wouldn't that be a pocket pistol?  

Of course the only thing that would separate it from an original would be a serial number.

What would you pay?

$100 + shipping/ffl fees?

$200 tops?

Would make a nice addition to any collection and cool conversation piece.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 12:39:16 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
It would be an EXACT replica, with the replica instructions and packaging it came in.  Just like modern day replicas, built to exact specs and no different.  As for the sat night special, how would they classify a north american arms mini .22?  Wouldn't that be a pocket pistol?  

Of course the only thing that would separate it from an original would be a serial number.

What would you pay?

$200 tops?

Most of the originals had smooth bores, and none had S/Ns. This would be a no go for civilian use..

They were designed to be cheap single shot pistols. In order to reload, you had to push the old casing out with a dowel. There was no sort of extractor set up.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 12:47:27 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I'm just guaging interest, if I got a manufacturers FFL I'd like to make some of these and I know people who have the tools to do so.

Even if it was a reproduction I think a lot of people would be interested just based on the history of the little gun iteself.

Personally I don't think anyone would buy a repro.  They're no good to shoot (crappy trigger, difficult to work and downright dangerous action, smooth bore, etc.), and I think you're in for some horrendous liability suits the first time somebody gets hurt.  Instead, you oughta just make 'em with counterfeit Guide Lamp markings and sell them as originals to cash in on their collector value.  

The book that TacticalStrat mentioned is excellent, and you should buy it before getting into the Liberator (more correctly "Flare Projector") market.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 12:50:59 PM EDT
[#20]
AS I understand it, it took longer for the user to load and cock the gun than it took to actually manufacture it for a few pennies.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 12:52:25 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You mean with no serial numbers like the real thing?

The originals were smooth bore too. Another modern no-no.

I've handled one at a fun show. It was on display, complete with box and instructions, but was NOT for sale. I asked. I'm not sure what the going rate is for them. But they are larger than I imagined.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 12:53:59 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

What would you pay?

$200 tops?

+1.  The things practically a zip gun.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 1:00:25 PM EDT
[#23]
What the hell is a sat night special?  There are plenty of pocket guns out there today, what is the difference.

AFAIK they never had a price minimum on pocket guns, so why cant you make this thing.  If you are harassed tell them you will sell them at 350 each and do so for the first month then lower prices to what you always wanted to sell them at.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 1:05:08 PM EDT
[#24]
for $50 I'd buy one on the spot.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 1:10:17 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Oh... nevermind..
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 1:47:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 1:51:27 PM EDT
[#27]
a repo? I'd pay $5, maybe $10 if I was feeling spendy that day
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 1:55:17 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think it might have even had cartoon instructions (also in the handle) showing people to sneak up close behind soldiers, shoot them and take their gun.

The comic strip manual shows only how to load and unload it.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 2:10:31 PM EDT
[#29]
I saw one for sale at a show once for $1000.  I thought long and hard about it, then walked away.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 2:13:38 PM EDT
[#30]
It meets size so if you could domestically manufacture it with serial number, rifled barrel and a safety, it could be done.

Look at $200 for a good price.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 2:13:58 PM EDT
[#31]
My grandfather had several cases with about 200 or 300 of 'em.  I remember shooting one when I was a kid, and I remember trying how to get all the spare cartridges in the grip.  One more point, about 1 or 2 in every 10 wouldn't chamber a round, and another 1 in 10 had the cartridge wobble around in the chamber.  

He traded almost the whole lot to a gun store for a property easement.  He kept a few, gave my dad a few, and I used to have one, but I left it in my Dad's gun safe when I went to college.  Never really cared to get it back....

Edit:  Just called Dad, and he said that they were lost in a canoing accident until further consultation .
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 9:45:54 PM EDT
[#32]
I have only seen one for sale, and they wanted $2500 for it. I read an article the other day that valued them at about $800.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 10:14:12 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

In anycase, that is exactly the intended use for the Liberator - to enable one to take an enemies weapon and arm themselves with a suitable firearm.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 10:16:48 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

In anycase, that is exactly the intended use for the Liberator - to enable one to take an enemies weapon and arm themselves with a suitable firearm.

No question about that. I guess some things you don't have to explain.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 10:30:00 PM EDT
[#35]
If cheap yes, probably wouldnt shoot it though.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 10:51:30 PM EDT
[#36]
I would get one
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 4:21:49 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Yes they do.
No "plastic pistols"
No "cop killer" ammo
No "Saturday night specials"

The last is what the Liberator would fall under.

The liberator sure isnt plastic, shoots a standard .45acp round, and I dont think any federal law ever passed banning "Saturday Nigh Specials".

Kharn
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top