Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/27/2005 3:10:22 AM EDT

Door bell rang 10 minutes ago
Jehovah witness is stood there, Watchtower and bible tucked under his arm[roll eyes]

Taffy is stood there wearing his "Infidel T-shirt"

Normaly I tell them politely that I'm not interested. Today I thought this will be easy...

I point to my t-shirt and said " I'm a non-believer your time here will be wasted"
I thought he'd just go and that would be the end of it. Now I know these guys are pretty persuasive and determined that's why I never get into discussions with them and as I'm a serious non believer (raised a Catholic) I dont like to disrespect them. So he asks why I wear the T-shirt...

Damn it if he's not got me into a conversation where I have to defend with rational arguments my non-belief. It was very light hearted and when he left we were both laughing.

It was a reaction I never thought I'd get wearing my t-shirt and a conversation I thought I'd never have.....

Oh well .....my arguments were strong in my believes and he in his and no one took offence

What a strange moment
Just thought I'd share

Taffy

Link Posted: 8/27/2005 4:20:35 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 7:05:53 AM EDT
After talking to a buddy of mine at school who is a JW I'd have to say that they've got a better handle on what the bible really says then 90% of the so called "Christians" out there in Yahweh land.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 8:26:29 AM EDT

Originally Posted By TNFrank:
After talking to a buddy of mine at school who is a JW I'd have to say that they've got a better handle on what the bible really says then 90% of the so called "Christians" out there in Yahweh land.

I agree - but they're still wrong.

Link Posted: 8/27/2005 10:31:02 AM EDT

they have thier own bible.

Link Posted: 8/27/2005 10:48:30 AM EDT

Originally Posted By walttx:

If you mean the King James version then, yes, "they" do.LOL. But then what IS "The Bible" anyway except a bunch of guys getting together and pickin' out the books and letters that THEY liked and putting them into a single volume. There are many books that were commonly accepted by 1st Century Christians that aren't in todays bible. The Gospel of Thomas, The Gospel of Mary Magdalen and a bunch of other books were left out because these guys just didn't like em'.

www.earlychristianwritings.com/
Check out this list and tell me how many books that are here are in the "modern" bible.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 2:19:28 PM EDT

If you mean the King James version then, yes, "they" do.LOL. But then what IS "The Bible" anyway except a bunch of guys getting together and pickin' out the books and letters that THEY liked and putting them into a single volume. There are many books that were commonly accepted by 1st Century Christians that aren't in todays bible. The Gospel of Thomas, The Gospel of Mary Magdalen and a bunch of other books were left out because these guys just didn't like em'.

Check out this list and tell me how many books that are here are in the "modern" bible.

The jw have their own bible, a jw bible, just ask one the next time you meet one.
they have changed some verses, taken away the divinity of Jesus , i think.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 4:48:56 PM EDT
They do have their own bible
And do you know the funny thing it's printed in Pennsylvania (sorry for the spelling ---sppell-cops)
Do you guys realy need to send that stuff over here...

This watchtower thang they gave me was full of utopian impossibilities.
I read it and could almost contradict every statement...but the actual "devil dodger/jahovah witness" can be convincing.....my laughter diffused most of his determination but we both found it funny.

Taffy
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 4:49:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/27/2005 4:53:54 PM EDT by Taffy223]

The jw have their own bible, a jw bible, just ask one the next time you meet one.

Who's this Jesus fella?

Taffy the Infidel

ETA I was raised a Catholic and was Head Alter Boy....ringing the bells and all that daft stuff
I was 14 and told my parents that's it....no more

They went to church on sunday mornings

I.......

Used to take my fathers tuned air rifle from the attic and spend Sunday mornings blasting crows from the top of telegraph poles

eeeerm
That is normal behaviour for a teenager right?????????????????

Taffy
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 7:05:42 PM EDT
I'll do a sneaky "cough/bump" to catch the US crowd

Taffy
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:38:34 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Taffy223:

I.......

Used to take my fathers tuned air rifle from the attic and spend Sunday mornings blasting crows from the top of telegraph poles

eeeerm

Taffy

Sure is. Crows are legal game, and there's no Biblical reason for attending church on the first day of the week anyway.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 3:11:01 AM EDT

If you mean the King James version then, yes, "they" do.LOL.

Negative.

They use their "New World Translation", which has been discredited by those who are scholarly in the original languages.

Dr. Walter martin has a good chapter on them in his book, "The Kingdom of the Cults."

I had a neighbor who was a JW. I offered to lend her a couple books written by people who had escaped from that religion. She refused, explaining that she wasn't allowed to read that sort of thing.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 3:14:28 AM EDT

EVERYBODY has their own bible

Mine is Vogue Magazine...
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 3:59:32 AM EDT

Originally Posted By PlaymoreMinds:

EVERYBODY has their own bible

Mine is Vogue Magazine...

That explains a LOT.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 4:45:56 AM EDT

It might seem that way to someone who doesn't have a good grasp of the basic messages and central themes of the Bible.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 5:06:34 AM EDT
I have compared the two (King James and the JW bible) and they were identical except for a word here and there.

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:47:30 AM EDT

Originally Posted By montana_jeepn:
I have compared the two (King James and the JW bible) and they were identical except for a word here and there.

really? verse by verse? how long did that take? did you write your findings down? Prove it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:47:42 AM EDT
Okay, allow me to be clearer.

I had friend who was a JW whom I was always discussing religion with. I was always out to prove that his bible was a twisted interpretation of true Christianity. Over a 2-3 year period of challenging him and double checking his Bible against mine, I found the differences were minor if not insignificant. The JW religion is not a bad religion. I just found that they interpreted things differently and many times took a literal interpretation of the Bible. (going door to door, spreading the word, shunning and separating themselves from people of other religions, etc)

I have a copy of the JW bible and the King James.

Do you have a copy of each and have you actually compared even one verse from each?

I have not taken a structured and documented approach to comparing the two bibles, as my drive to prove that the JW is a cult has long expired.

Am I an authority on the bible? Absolutely not! Have I read it front to back? No I have not. But at one point in my life I attempted to learn and understand a “foreign” religion and think I have a better understanding than the individual who hides under the coffee table when they hear “knock knock”.

I think Taffy’s story is an outstanding example of individuals discussing their beliefs in a mature manner.

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:33:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/30/2005 10:34:20 AM EDT by SubnetMask]
montana_jeepn,

Whether their bible is nearly identical to those accepted by the rest of us, is of no consequence to people like me who have come to the realization that they are in fact a cult.

For a group that purports to read nearly the same bible I do, they deny the trinity, the deity of Christ, salvation by grace through faith, and that Christ's ressurected body was his own. Say what you will, but I don't even consider them Christians.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 12:37:23 PM EDT
It doesn't matter which Translation of the bible you have, it's still a TRANSLATION and subject to error. The ONLY way to know for sure that what you're reading it what was written is to go to the original Greek and Hebrew. In the King James the word "Hell" comes from 4 different root words all having different meanings. 3 of those "Hells" are in the New Testement and each mean something totally different if you look at the original root words for each.
Bottom line, believe what you want but DON'T say it the ONLY Truth because there's no way that you can be 100% sure. And, NO, I don't want to argue the point because Truth is a relative term and no one is going to say that what THEY believe isn't the truth or admit that what someone else believes IS.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 1:12:12 PM EDT

Originally Posted By GoGop:

I.......

eeeerm

Taffy

Sure is. Crows are legal game, and there's no Biblical reason for attending church on the first day of the week anyway.

Except to give your tithes and offerings.

1Co 16:2 Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come.

Shok
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 1:17:37 PM EDT

Do they still have the black lines in their bible where Charles Russel blotted out the verses he didn't like? I think they finally removed them in their revised bible.

Shok
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 1:28:46 PM EDT

Originally Posted By montana_jeepn:

You might be interested in this.

Shok
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 1:33:25 PM EDT

It doesn't matter which Translation of the bible you have, it's still a TRANSLATION and subject to error. The ONLY way to know for sure that what you're reading it what was written is to go to the original Greek and Hebrew. In the King James the word "Hell" comes from 4 different root words all having different meanings. 3 of those "Hells" are in the New Testement and each mean something totally different if you look at the original root words for each.
Bottom line, believe what you want but DON'T say it the ONLY Truth because there's no way that you can be 100% sure. And, NO, I don't want to argue the point because Truth is a relative term and no one is going to say that what THEY believe isn't the truth or admit that what someone else believes IS.

Thankfully, Christians have alot of resources available to them to provide insight. Study Bibles are heavily annotated where original word meanings are unclear or disputed. Beleivers come together during the week to share their insights and knowledge. Mountains of books written by scholars and theologians on every topic imaginable are available, some for almost nothing. We're so blessed with perspective, that we can even resolve doctrinal questions on a gun board.

In my view, differences of opinion in core Christian doctrine such as the Trinity, original sin, the deity of Christ, his virgin birth, and salvation through grace cannot seriously be attributed to subtle errors in translation from the original texts.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 3:54:23 PM EDT
For me to simplify what some of you have posted or perhaps JMHO

Most modern Christians do not take any Biblical writings literaly. They are a guide .

However it seems the more radical or extreme the Religious group/ followers take every word completely/ blindly and literaly.

Taffy
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:43:10 PM EDT
I think the biggest contradiction would be they dont believe in the trinity. They dont believe in Jesus as we do. They think of him as another form of michael the angel. With that being said they loose all Christain belief.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:47:55 AM EDT

For me to simplify what some of you have posted or perhaps JMHO

Most modern Christians do not take any Biblical writings literaly. They are a guide .

Sadly, this may indeed be true. It sounds more "sophisticated" if you say that it's all metaphors and abstract principles, rather than, "Thus saith the LORD."

The things people do to appear trendy and stylish. Sad.

However it seems the more radical or extreme the Religious group/ followers take every word completely/ blindly and literaly.

Taffy

Radical and extreme = living like it's real and you believe it.

I don't want to be a casual Christian. Yeshua gave us a radical faith. We are supposed to live the difference, not blend in.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:51:07 AM EDT

Originally Posted By QShok:

I.......
eeeerm
Taffy

1Co 16:2 Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come.

Shok

Store it away, so that you'l have it when it is time to give your tithes, not take it right then.
When the week's work is through, rest on the seventh day/Sabbath/Saturday. Once the Sabbath is over, bringing us to the first day of a new week, then gather your ten percent of the previous week's gains to set aside for tithing.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 11:29:48 AM EDT

Originally Posted By QShok:

I.......
eeeerm
Taffy

Shok

Store it away, so that you'l have it when it is time to give your tithes, not take it right then.
When the week's work is through, rest on the seventh day/Sabbath/Saturday. Once the Sabbath is over, bringing us to the first day of a new week, then gather your ten percent of the previous week's gains to set aside for tithing.

So on Sunday gather 10% of the previous weeks gain and give it on the next Sabath/Saturday? Your supposed to have it sitting there six days ready to be given?

Shok
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 11:45:00 AM EDT
Interest....6 days worth
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:47:03 PM EDT
That's why it says to store it. If you took it that day it wouldn't be stored, it'd be delivered.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:08:15 PM EDT
Curious the assumption that everybody should believe in the trinity.

Where in the bible is it recorded that our salvation dependent on our belief in the trinity or Jesus being God?
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:49:32 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ghengiskhabb:
Curious the assumption that everybody should believe in the trinity.

Where in the bible is it recorded that our salvation dependent on our belief in the trinity or Jesus being God?

I've never believed in the trinity, and haven't seen anything in the Bible that would lead me to believe it. With all the references I've seen God is the Father, Jesus sits at His right hand, and the Holy Spirit is God's power sent to help us.

To say that Jesus sent himself here, prayed to himself, said "Not my will be done, but yours" to himself, gave himself power after he resurrected himself, ascended to himself, then sent himself as a helper is not realistic IMHO.
Top Top