Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/21/2001 10:20:00 AM EDT
While perusing the web and gathering info for my wife to become a US citizen, I came across an interesting (actually somewhat disturbing) piece of info. I was trying to find some typical test questions for the citizenship test, and came across number 76:

76. NAME 3 RIGHTS OR FREEDOMS GUARANTEED BY THE BILL OF RIGHTS?

The answer key listed the first ten Amendments, but number 2 had a sick twist:

(B) THE RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS (THE RIGHT TO HAVE WEAPONS OR OWN A GUN, THOUGH
SUBJECT TO CERTAIN REGULATIONS).

Although this didn’t surprise me, it still pissed me off. This is what the Department of Justice, Immigration and Naturalization Service, is teaching new citizens of the US - that the Second Amendment is subject to regulations.
I don’t recall reading in the original Bill of Rights anything about ‘certain regulations’. The whole point of the Bill of Rights was to spell out our INDIVIDUAL FREEDOMS AND LIBERTIES, not to tell us that those freedoms and liberties are subject to regulations.

I wonder if this is the kind of crap being taught to our kids in school?
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 10:34:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By Salt Creek:
I wonder if this is the kind of crap being taught to our kids in school?
View Quote

no, the crap being taught in school is that the idea of having any arms at all is 250 year old idea that is no longer relevant today. It might have been back then for a bunch of slave owners who would need to fight off wild dangerous animals, kill animals for food and protect the family against uprising savages, "swarthy immigrants" or "wild-eyed-negroes." But there are no more wild animals today, the store and the government will provide you with food, and anything else that comes up, well thats what 911 is for.
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 11:06:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah well, you get what you pay for...

Since when did the INS do anything right?
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 12:01:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Ironic, in that the late Supreme Court Justice of the California Court Stanley Mosk said that we only had the right as a militia and not as an individual.  Also much better than the Justice Dept. under Reno and the 9th Circuit Court.  IOW there's a glimmer of truth to it, an improvement.
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 3:00:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Kinda ironic that a bunch of INS weapons, including MP5's, made it into civilian circulation illegally, isn't it?
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 4:01:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Too bad they missed the whole point entirely.

[b]THE BILL OF RIGHTS DOES NOT GRANT A SINGLE RIGHT!![/b]  

Let's all repeat that once or twice.

The Bill of Rights merely enumerates natural rights that you have merely by being alive.  

The power to Grant a Right is the power to take that right away.  
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 4:08:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Cassidy-GT.....Amen!  Well said!  

It is all slipping away....the freedom, the nation, the culture....and a new Dark Ages is upon us.....
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 4:19:01 PM EDT
[#7]
According the my nephew's 9th grade history book the 2nd amendment deals with the "militia or National Guard." What a load of P.C. B.S.
[puke]
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 4:29:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Too bad they missed the whole point entirely.

[b]THE BILL OF RIGHTS DOES NOT GRANT A SINGLE RIGHT!![/b]  

View Quote

Cassidy,

Q. 76 used the word [b]guaranteed[/b], not [b]granted[/b]
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 4:29:35 PM EDT
[#9]
LOL. My wife, who is Japanese, just got her citizenship last month. During her "testing" she noticed the BS about the 2nd amendment. She told her examiner that the right to keep and bear arms IS NOT limited to what the government deems "appropriate" and she refused to answer the question because she told them, once again, it was an "illegal" question because the answer was not in the way the 2nd amendment was written! She suggestion to the moron testing her was to sit down and read the 2nd amendment various papers written by our forefather in support of it before he decides to use that question on someone else (and she did it so sweetly that the bozo didn't even know she was getting on his case). LOL! I just about busted a gut! She passed! On the day she was sworn in, we went to the range and did some serious exercising of our god given right!
BANZAI!
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 4:49:51 PM EDT
[#10]
progun,

Hats off to your wife.  I would be nervous to question the INS during the citizenship interview (having heard horror stories about the INS).  Great show!  We need more citizens like her.
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 4:53:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Rights are not granted, they are 'natural' or exist simply because you exist. Priviledges are granted by earthly powers that be. Governments, persons, authorities, ect...  cannot grant that which you already inherently possess. They can try to control or deny you of it but as a human being these rights exist for everyone simply because you are human (Lockean theory).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top