Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/12/2004 11:03:51 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/12/2004 11:11:38 AM EST by mattja]
Comments from another board:

Here is someone that actually tried to reproduce that memo with 1972-1973 technology, requiring a machine that in today's dollars would sell for $16,000 to $22,000, not counting additional fonts. Reproducing it, even reasonably closely, required switching font balls to write the superscripts, and all for writing a simple memo, by a guy that did not even know how to type, much less how to operate a complicated machine like this.

Also pay particular attention to the discussion on centering, how perfect the headings were centered, to the sub-point level. A capability that the machines of the day did not have, and no reason for anyone to try to be that precise anyway.

If there is a story for which this is a distraction, it is how this memo ended up in the hands of CBS news, and how was it they were so easily duped by the Kerry campaign.

shapeofdays.typepad.com/the_shape_of_days/2004/09/the_ibm_selectr.html

Font comparison here
selectric.org/selectric/index.html
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 11:06:29 AM EST
You know I am not sure that Kerry is the origin of this.

CBS could of made it themselves, just trying to revive their flagging ratings.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 11:13:15 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/12/2004 11:15:07 AM EST by mattja]
If that's true they did a very poor job at it. They had to retract a story back in 1997 because of a false memo, so one would think they would be especially diligent this time around.

Link
ratherbiased.com/news/content/view/233/2/
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 11:14:46 AM EST
Who ever thought I would learn so much about IBM typewriters on a gun board?

Link Posted: 9/12/2004 11:38:25 AM EST
Hey, I've got a great idea for a 'news' story.

Lets get some GM pickup trucks, and rig up the gas tanks with fireworks so that they appear to explode on impact with another vehicle. We'll pawn it off as some kind of Nader-esque thing, and ratings will SOAR!
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 11:47:22 AM EST

Originally Posted By ArmdLbrl:
You know I am not sure that Kerry is the origin of this.

CBS could of made it themselves, just trying to revive their flagging ratings.

They could have done it as a reason to get rid of Rather.

Move in some young blood.
Top Top