Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/12/2009 4:20:17 PM EDT

Looks awesome.  Not sure what the release date is though.

Trailer Link

Link Posted: 1/12/2009 8:23:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/15/2009 7:24:28 AM EDT
[#2]
The smoking guy is a hell of a ringer for Luke Perry.
Link Posted: 1/16/2009 12:53:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm a fan of Jeremy Renner.  He was the only bright spot in S.W.A.T., and did a great job in 28 Days Later.  

Also has Guy Pearce, Ralph Fiennes, and David Morse––basically all heavyweight actors.  

Should be good.
Link Posted: 1/17/2009 4:00:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Bigelow directs movies like a man, she did Near Dark, also point break, unfortunately.
Link Posted: 1/22/2009 4:55:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I just got done watching it.

I thought it was OK at best.

The DVDrip is out there for people who know where to look.

Link Posted: 1/23/2009 8:53:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I just watched it as well, and thought it was incredible.  On par with Generation Kill in terms of realism, but more of a pro-soldier film in my opinion.  Will definitely buy the DVD.

Link Posted: 1/23/2009 9:08:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just watched it as well, and thought it was incredible.  On par with Generation Kill in terms of realism, but more of a pro-soldier film in my opinion.  Will definitely buy the DVD.

Click To View Spoiler

I was a bit tipsy watching it and may need to watch it again but I just don't agree.
Link Posted: 1/23/2009 9:20:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Click To View Spoiler
That's my take on the scene.

ETA:  Also, at the 32:00 mark, the medic who is working on the insurgent is Ben Thomas, the former Navy SEAL and contractor.  He was an advisor on the set.  He's active over at Getoffthex.com as well.

Link Posted: 1/24/2009 12:11:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Just finished watching it 10 minutes ago.  Damned good movie for the most part; great camera work, good story line, and it kept me on edge.  Chewed my thumbnail down a bit...
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 4:28:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Much better than I expected, Well worth my time and I agree with the on par of generation kill.
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 11:41:58 PM EDT
[#11]
I was laughing at how unrealistic it was, until the last couple of scenes, which I thought they nailed.

Kind of cool to see Ralph Fiennes (who has a great one liner) and Guy Pierce in the movie. Just wish they had a little more screen time.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 3:08:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I was laughing at how unrealistic it was, until the last couple of scenes, which I thought they nailed.

Kind of cool to see Ralph Fiennes (who has a great one liner) and Guy Pierce in the movie. Just wish they had a little more screen time.

I thought it was pretty cool to see several big name stars move very briefly through the film.  

Link Posted: 1/25/2009 8:17:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
at the 32:00 mark, the medic who is working on the insurgent is Ben Thomas, the former Navy SEAL and contractor.  He was an advisor on the set.  He's active over at Getoffthex.com as well.

He was one of the Blackwater guys that mixed it up on the rooftops several years ago.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 10:08:25 AM EDT
[#14]
"Hurt Locker" I haven't heard that expression in a looong time.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 12:58:55 PM EDT
[#15]
This film is well done.

It records a few weeks of an EOD team in Iraq. Actors.

Some of the camera motion is cut-cut, herky-jerky, but it doesn't detract too much from the watchability.

No plot but the messages are tremendous.

Like, our fighting forces are obviously the best that have ever been. I only wish that our new marxist, racist, authoritarian, megalo-maniacal, idiot, thug presi-dent doesn't  reverse course too much.  

Anywhoo...

There are several on-the-edge-of-your-seat scenes, but the one that gripped me most was in the desert.  I WILL NOT SPOIL. I WILL NOT SPOIL.

Great film. Equal to BlackHawkDown. Slower, but as anxious, nonetheless.

9/10

Link Posted: 2/9/2009 10:53:49 AM EDT
[#16]
I thought it was a pretty good movie, definitely worth a watch.

Click To View Spoiler

Edit to hide spoiler - BA

Link Posted: 2/9/2009 3:53:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Thought it was pretty good.

Did an excellent job of building up suspense.

The guy was defintely a combat junkie.

Link Posted: 2/9/2009 4:54:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Downloading it now.

I have no doubt it's a Hollywood rendering of EOD in Iraq... but I have no doubt it'll be the best EOD movie to date.... what was the last one... Blown Away? That mvie did blow....
Link Posted: 3/12/2009 2:53:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Finally watched it this week.... pretty cool movie. There were some familiar faces/known actors... but not all of themwere main characters.

I can't understand why this movie hasn't been released in US theaters. I think it would do pretty well compared to a lot of the turd floating in the pool.

Definitely worth the watch.

Link Posted: 3/12/2009 3:17:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Initial Success or Total Failure.  EOD Leaves a Smoking Hole.
Link Posted: 4/18/2009 8:04:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/24/2009 3:24:26 PM EDT
[#22]
I just saw that it wasn't released yet... I had no idea.  A co-worker gave me a copy of the DVD about a month ago.

I've watched it twice, it wasn't bad.  I'm not disappointed in it, it was entertaining.
Link Posted: 6/24/2009 6:03:28 PM EDT
[#23]
this was the stupidest film ive seen in a while.  good looks, but doesnt even attempt to be realistic.

I was part of a security element for EOD in iraq, and im in EOD school right now.  my 1SG even called it out at formation this morning as being total horseshit, and its a big running joke among cadre and instructors.

key points of sillyness:

-while EOD teams may be 2 person, they will never be driving around Baghdad by themselves

-if you trace a command wire to 4 155's, pulling on the wire is NOT going to lift them all. they are like 80lbs apiece. plus the blasting caps simply stuck in the filler through the empty fuze well damn sure isnt going to stay in place.

-if you see a triggerman you are going to kill him, not have a awkward "haha I got you" moment and let him scamper off.

-if a car blasts through a cordon its going to have 100 bullet holes in it and a dead driver. if it somehow doesnt, he damn sure isnt stopping for an EOD tech with a 9mm. and talking to him and giving commands while wearing a bomb suit doesnt really work.

-if you are being videotaped during an attack you will not "monitor" the enemy cameraman. he is getting a bullet.

-a 2" wide pole in the way does not qualify as not having a clear shot on the guy about to kill your buddy.

-a platoon of infantry will never abandon their guntrucks and hide like little girls for EOD to come save them from a suspected IED 100m away.

-if you spent 6 years in intel and then went EOD, you dont wear a CIB, and it definately doesnt go below the crab.
Link Posted: 6/24/2009 8:43:52 PM EDT
[#24]
but.... but TIME said is was a near perfect movie.
Link Posted: 6/25/2009 8:37:10 PM EDT
[#25]
It's a movie they take "artistic license" to provide entertainment.

I don't know how you folks enjoy movies if all you do is spend your whole time picking things apart that aren't "realistic."  You want realism the movie theater probably isn't the place to be.

But yeah, let's slam the first movie made about Iraq that wasn't a total hitjob on our troops. That's a surefire way to encourage more pro-Soldier movies right?

Link Posted: 6/25/2009 9:48:56 PM EDT
[#26]
watched it........it was OK from an entertainment standpoint

Nice to see a movie without any Hollyweird political message

Got pretty cheezie in places,  the almost abduction and patrol(after the gas truck explosion) comes to mind,  and the car-jacking the hadji and going outside the wire for revenge... only to have to run all the way back through Baghdad,  alone and at night
Link Posted: 6/26/2009 4:32:56 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I don't know how you folks enjoy movies if all you do is spend your whole time picking things apart that aren't "realistic."  You want realism the movie theater probably isn't the place to be.

But yeah, let's slam the first movie made about Iraq that wasn't a total hitjob on our troops. That's a surefire way to encourage more pro-Soldier movies right?

sorry if my review caused a few tears.

to me theres a difference between a few things wrong and full-out overblown cheeziness.  BTW, the guy in the movie is a borderline psychopath and his soldiers openly discuss fragging him.  im not sure where you are getting the pro-troops thing.

but then again, I guess I could show you the latest episode of "the smurfs" and tell you it was an pro-iraq war drama and you would take it at face value.
Link Posted: 6/27/2009 7:56:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

to me theres a difference between a few things wrong and full-out overblown cheeziness.  BTW, the guy in the movie is a borderline psychopath and his soldiers openly discuss fragging him.  im not sure where you are getting the pro-troops thing.

but then again, I guess I could show you the latest episode of "the smurfs" and tell you it was an pro-iraq war drama and you would take it at face value.

I'm going to have count myself in the more critical camp...things like abandoning your vehicles, or generally acting like an asshat adrenaline junky don't do anything but make our soldiers look unprofessional. While the overall 'look' of things was good, the behavior of the characters made no sense whatsoever.

I'm willing to bet this film had NO DOD support, because there were simply too many things too far wrong, not just in technical accuracy but in terms of the character's actions.
Link Posted: 6/28/2009 7:54:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Again if you want realism don't look for it in a movie theater.

People go to movies to be "entertained."  

If a movie about Iraq is free of heavy handed left-wing political messages and brings attention to a conflict that has slipped in polls among the issues of concern than I say "GOOD."

If you have a problem with that though than so be it.  Some people like to  bitch I guess.

Link Posted: 6/29/2009 4:23:56 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If a movie about Iraq is free of heavy handed left-wing political messages and brings attention to a conflict that has slipped in polls among the issues of concern than I say "GOOD."

If you have a problem with that though than so be it.  Some people like to  bitch I guess.

http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/4018/hulkavl3.jpg

I apologize.  I didnt realize you were so easily entertained.  next time I write a review I will toss a ball of yarn in the corner and keep you occupied for a couple hours.
Link Posted: 6/29/2009 4:34:23 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

this was the stupidest film ive seen in a while.  good looks, but doesnt even attempt to be realistic. <SNIP!!>

It was entertaining. I equate it to any other military/cop/fireman
movie. It has some realism but it's mostly Hollywoodified for the sake
of making it a popcorn action flick.

But agreed... definitely some ridiculous shit.

Jeremy Renner was cool. I like him in most of what he's been in.

Click To View Spoiler

Link Posted: 7/13/2009 2:29:01 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

this was the stupidest film ive seen in a while. good looks, but doesnt even attempt to be realistic.

I was part of a security element for EOD in iraq, and im in EOD school right now. my 1SG even called it out at formation this morning as being total horseshit, and its a big running joke among cadre and instructors.

key points of sillyness:

-while EOD teams may be 2 person, they will never be driving around Baghdad by themselves

-if you trace a command wire to 4 155's, pulling on the wire is NOT going to lift them all. they are like 80lbs apiece. plus the blasting caps simply stuck in the filler through the empty fuze well damn sure isnt going to stay in place.

-if you see a triggerman you are going to kill him, not have a awkward "haha I got you" moment and let him scamper off.

-if a car blasts through a cordon its going to have 100 bullet holes in it and a dead driver. if it somehow doesnt, he damn sure isnt stopping for an EOD tech with a 9mm. and talking to him and giving commands while wearing a bomb suit doesnt really work.

-if you are being videotaped during an attack you will not "monitor" the enemy cameraman. he is getting a bullet.

-a 2" wide pole in the way does not qualify as not having a clear shot on the guy about to kill your buddy.

-a platoon of infantry will never abandon their guntrucks and hide like little girls for EOD to come save them from a suspected IED 100m away.

-if you spent 6 years in intel and then went EOD, you dont wear a CIB, and it definately doesnt go below the crab.

All good points but I will still go see it.  You have to wonder why it was not more realistic since some of the guys consulted with the movie producers...Hollywood.
Link Posted: 7/13/2009 2:55:05 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
this was the stupidest film ive seen in a while.  good looks, but doesnt even attempt to be realistic.

I was part of a security element for EOD in iraq, and im in EOD school right now.  my 1SG even called it out at formation this morning as being total horseshit, and its a big running joke among cadre and instructors.

quote]

When you are an expert in the field a movie portrays, odds are the movie will suck donkey balls.

Link Posted: 7/13/2009 7:10:04 PM EDT
[#34]
So when does this movie hit the theater?   When does it come out on video?
Link Posted: 7/13/2009 7:12:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

It only hit theaters in film festivals. It has been available for about a year now online and in certain countries on DVD.
Link Posted: 7/13/2009 7:19:34 PM EDT
[#36]
I liked the movie. I thought it was really well paced, and had a good tense atmosphere.
Link Posted: 7/14/2009 5:27:23 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It only hit theaters in film festivals. It has been available for about a year now online and in certain countries on DVD.

So where can I get the DVD that will work in our DVD player?

Link Posted: 7/14/2009 5:35:15 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't know. Not even Amazon has it.

But it has been available via torrent for almost a year now.
Link Posted: 7/14/2009 2:38:47 PM EDT
[#39]
It is getting released in the theaters here in KC on the 24th or so..

Ebay had 2 of these dvds for sale for 9.99+ ship..
Link Posted: 7/15/2009 7:32:19 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/4018/hulkavl3.jpg

I apologize.  I didnt realize you were so easily entertained.  next time I write a review I will toss a ball of yarn in the corner and keep you occupied for a couple hours.

Haha

Link Posted: 7/15/2009 12:04:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

PC+VLC player, or $50 Philips DVD player from Costco with the Region 0 remote code hack.
Link Posted: 7/22/2009 8:20:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 7/23/2009 9:59:57 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Maybe you should just watch documentaries.  

In fact, had it been realistic it would have run the risk of providing intel to our enemies.

Some things were done for dramatic effect, to streamline the story, and simply to entertain.  It wasn't a training film.
Link Posted: 7/25/2009 8:06:08 PM EDT
[#44]
I saw it Friday night.  I actually enjoyed it.  I was able to overlook the tactical issues, etc and enjoyed it for what it was...

I thought it was unusual that 2 of the 3 main actors/characters were left handed.
Link Posted: 7/25/2009 8:17:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe you should just watch documentaries.  

In fact, had it been realistic it would have run the risk of providing intel to our enemies.

Some things were done for dramatic effect, to streamline the story, and simply to entertain.  It wasn't a training film.

yeah, sure.  

an ounce of realism would have let hadj know exactly what we were up to....because he actually thinks we really are running around baghdad two to a truck with no security element....

they might as well have given EOD jetpacks and laser swords in the movie, it would have made more sense than what they tried to pull off.

I was entertained by SPR and the like, and you have to dig deep to find fatal flaws in those type of movies. like I said, you are just either very easily entertained or simply don't know any better.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 8:29:45 PM EDT
[#46]
I just got back with the theater.  There was so much basic shit wrong (no security, going out on patrols alone, no officer oversight, the complete douchebaggery/dumbassness) that it was almost unwatchable.  I really wanted to stand up and explain that we don't do obviously stupid shit like that.  I do think it put soldiers in a bad light.  The main guy was pretty obviously crazy/PTSD.  The Spec4 appeared to be suicidal (or at least gave some pretty strong warning signs) after the shrink was killed.  

What pisses me off most is that people will watch that and actually believe everything in it.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 9:04:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I just got back with the theater.  There was so much basic shit wrong (no security, going out on patrols alone, no officer oversight, the complete douchebaggery/dumbassness) that it was almost unwatchable.  I really wanted to stand up and explain that we don't do obviously stupid shit like that.  I do think it put soldiers in a bad light.  The main guy was pretty obviously crazy/PTSD.  The Spec4 appeared to be suicidal (or at least gave some pretty strong warning signs) after the shrink was killed.  

What pisses me off most is that people will watch that and actually believe everything in it.

yeah, but an over-the-top crazy team leader, a suicidal junior team member, and a senior team member who openly discusses fragging his TL portrays soldiers in a good light and we should be thankful for it....
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 7:54:19 AM EDT
[#48]
I saw it last night and wasn't too impressed.  It had some really good scenes in it but the story line could have been better.  I'm probably being a little too judgmental since I've been in the Army but there were so many things wrong with it.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 10:08:21 AM EDT
[#49]
I saw this a few days ago and was entertained since I'm ignorant to the technical inaccuracies. The story dragged in a few spots and could've been tightened up more, but was worth the price of admission IMO.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 2:10:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Saw it about four months ago, and thought it was pretty good.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top