Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/19/2009 10:39:10 AM EDT
How does one prepare for that kind of economic disaster?  

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:42:04 AM EDT
[#1]
beans, bullets and band aids
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:49:38 AM EDT
[#2]
and booze.––MP
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:50:48 AM EDT
[#3]
I wouldnt worry unless I lived in a city with a large entitlement population. If you do the GTFO like yesterday.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:52:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Perhaps some good can come of it.

Hard times can bring people together, and that's one thing this country really needs.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:55:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I'm still waiting for my Bonnie.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:57:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Move onto a small farm and learn to grow your own food.  Be sure you have a water supply.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 11:07:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Invest in durable goods (ammo, rifles, pistols, shotguns, cleaning gear, water filtration, non perishable food-one year worth, medical supplies-everything in a medics bag, antibiotics to fight infection, suture kits, ect..books on first aid, treatment, surgery, and advanced anatomy.., tools, Feed your brain...start making a plan and ask us for more input.  Invest in lots of books on recommended subjects for instance...horticulture, keeping live stock, military training manuals on small unit tactics, interior and exterior perimeter security, how to conduct a patrol, Communications- Its not hard to get a HAM radio tech cert....start learning about HF, VHF, and UHF freqs and how to use the radios...Durable good are the best way to hedge against inflation.....You need a plan to know what you should get.    Go to the survival forum and start reading....FEED YOUR BRAIN!
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 11:14:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Most people are already in bad times, they are just lying to themselves.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 11:28:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Invest in durable goods (ammo, rifles, pistols, shotguns, cleaning gear, water filtration, non perishable food-one year worth, medical supplies-everything in a medics bag, antibiotics to fight infection, suture kits, ect..books on first aid, treatment, surgery, and advanced anatomy.., tools, Feed your brain...start making a plan and ask us for more input.  Invest in lots of books on recommended subjects for instance...horticulture, keeping live stock, military training manuals on small unit tactics, interior and exterior perimeter security, how to conduct a patrol, Communications- Its not hard to get a HAM radio tech cert....start learning about HF, VHF, and UHF freqs and how to use the radios...Durable good are the best way to hedge against inflation.....You need a plan to know what you should get.    Go to the survival forum and start reading....FEED YOUR BRAIN!

Good post.seriouse question if you are always planning for the worst in life do you miss out on the good?
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 11:30:34 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Invest in durable goods (ammo, rifles, pistols, shotguns, cleaning gear, water filtration, non perishable food-one year worth, medical supplies-everything in a medics bag, antibiotics to fight infection, suture kits, ect..books on first aid, treatment, surgery, and advanced anatomy.., tools, Feed your brain...start making a plan and ask us for more input. Invest in lots of books on recommended subjects for instance...horticulture, keeping live stock, military training manuals on small unit tactics, interior and exterior perimeter security, how to conduct a patrol, Communications- Its not hard to get a HAM radio tech cert....start learning about HF, VHF, and UHF freqs and how to use the radios...Durable good are the best way to hedge against inflation.....You need a plan to know what you should get. Go to the survival forum and start reading....FEED YOUR BRAIN!

I think youre confusing a Depression with an Apocolypse.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 12:46:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I really don't think you need to worry about it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 12:49:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Invest in a moonshine still...
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 12:49:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Invest in durable goods (ammo, rifles, pistols, shotguns, cleaning gear, water filtration, non perishable food-one year worth, medical supplies-everything in a medics bag, antibiotics to fight infection, suture kits, ect..books on first aid, treatment, surgery, and advanced anatomy.., tools, Feed your brain...start making a plan and ask us for more input. Invest in lots of books on recommended subjects for instance...horticulture, keeping live stock, military training manuals on small unit tactics, interior and exterior perimeter security, how to conduct a patrol, Communications- Its not hard to get a HAM radio tech cert....start learning about HF, VHF, and UHF freqs and how to use the radios...Durable good are the best way to hedge against inflation.....You need a plan to know what you should get. Go to the survival forum and start reading....FEED YOUR BRAIN!

I think youre confusing a Depression with an Arfpocolypse.

Fixed it for you
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 12:51:08 PM EDT
[#14]
stockpile my friend, stockpile.  I have been putting away can and dry goods for years.  Bad shit is truly coming and quick.  Remember Sams Warehouse is your friend.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 12:59:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Guns, Grub, and lots of Ammo.    TT
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 1:02:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good post.seriouse question if you are always planning for the worst in life do you miss out on the good?

Unless you live in a warehouse, you run into storage limits pretty fast. Then it's just a matter orf maintaining your preparations. Even before then, the good times get better. No nagging worry on your shoulders, bringing you down, you know you at least got something if worse comes to worst.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 1:04:38 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think youre confusing a Depression with an Arfpocolypse.

Fixed it for you

Ok, I can get the rest of the stuff, but how do you go about getting THIS with out knowing a co-operative Doctor (which I don't)?

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 1:07:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Read EVERY post on ARFcom and act accordingly.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 1:07:55 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

stockpile my friend, stockpile.  I have been putting away can and dry goods for years.  Bad shit is truly coming and quick.  Remember Sams Warehouse is your friend.

While I think stockpiling is a great idea, I'll be honest... I've been hearing this since the 1970's.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 1:17:12 PM EDT
[#20]
I swiped this from another source:

The four "G"s: guns, gold, groceries, and God.

Or the four "F"s: food, funds, firearms, and faith.

Or the four "B"s: beans, bullion, bullets, and Bible.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 1:23:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Hide in the basement until it blows over
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 1:31:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Perhaps some good can come of it.

Hard times can bring people together, and that's one thing this country really needs.

That's such a bullshit idea.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 1:33:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Ok, I can get the rest of the stuff, but how do you go about getting THIS with out knowing a co-operative Doctor (which I don't)?

How do you treat a race horse?

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 1:46:47 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Well, lets see here.

In the 'G' group ... guns would be useful, gold is a worthless metal that humans have an irrational obsession over, groceries are essential, god is watching but isnt gonna do shit.

In the 'F' group... again, food is essential, funds (i assume gold and cash) again will be worthless, firearms again useful, and faith will calm the masses (again, to no avail)

In the 'B' group... once again, food is essential, bullion (gold again, worthless metal unless you are a jeweler or electronics manufacturer), bullets will be HUGE, and I dont think that the bible is going to provide much nourishment.

Things that WILL be needed and of great worth:

Fresh water

Canned foods and fresh veggies and fruits

Guns, ammunition and reloading supplies

Alcohol, marijuana and other illicit substances (just a fact, deal with it)

Sources of electricity (generators, inverters, solar panels, batteries, etc.)

Barter will be the name of the game, and I just dont see people carrying around scales and little bits of gold, weighing out chunks to pay for stuff.

I cant eat gold, I cant smoke gold, I cant snort gold, I cant drink gold (goldschlager notwithstanding), and I cant kill something with gold.

Its absolutely fucking WORTHLESS as a metal. Again, unless you are trying to get some bling or make corrosion resistant electrical contacts, it serves no real purpose other than to satisify our unexplainable attraction and fascination with it. Kind of feel the same way about silver and platinum as well... even though silver has a real purpose at a great electrical conductor, it oxidizes too rapidly to be of any use.

Want a metal that has REAL value? Copper, lead, brass, aluminum, titanium, tungsten, steel and iron. Those are the metals that make our world work.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 2:07:27 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, lets see here.

In the 'G' group ... guns would be useful, gold is a worthless metal that humans have an irrational obsession over, groceries are essential, god is watching but isnt gonna do shit.

In the 'F' group... again, food is essential, funds (i assume gold and cash) again will be worthless, firearms again useful, and faith will calm the masses (again, to no avail)

In the 'B' group... once again, food is essential, bullion (gold again, worthless metal unless you are a jeweler or electronics manufacturer), bullets will be HUGE, and I dont think that the bible is going to provide much nourishment.

Fresh water

Barter will be the name of the game, and I just dont see people carrying around scales and little bits of gold, weighing out chunks to pay for stuff.

I cant eat gold, I cant smoke gold, I cant snort gold, I cant drink gold (goldschlager notwithstanding), and I cant kill something with gold.

Its absolutely fucking WORTHLESS as a metal. Again, unless you are trying to get some bling or make corrosion resistant electrical contacts, it serves no real purpose other than to satisify our unexplainable attraction and fascination with it. Kind of feel the same way about silver and platinum as well... even though silver has a real purpose at a great electrical conductor, it oxidizes too rapidly to be of any use.

Want a metal that has REAL value? Copper, lead, brass, aluminum, titanium, tungsten, steel and iron. Those are the metals that make our world work.  

I've always wondered about the people who obsess over gold.

What do you plan on doing, trading it to me for hot dogs?

How the fuck do I know that it's gold?  And even if I do know, what good is it?

I'd rather have the hot dogs.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 2:14:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Quoted:

It will feel about the same.. My grand parents use to say there were two things they hoped I would never have to deal with. Another world war and another great depression
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 2:23:00 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It will feel about the same.. My grand parents use to say there were two things they hoped I would never have to deal with. Another world war and another great depression

I would respectfully disagree.

I've met people who lived through the Great Depression... and thought it wasn't all that bad.

(Not that it was easy, mind you. Times were tough. But, it wasn't Armageddon.)

If you were prepared... if you had your shit together, and your ducks all in row, before it hit... it wasn't the end of the world.

"Hard times" is the phrase they used.

The apocalypse... is a whole other matter.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 2:25:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I've met people who lived through the Great Depression... and thought it wasn't all that bad.

If you were prepared... if you had your shit together, and your ducks all in row, before it hit... it wasn't the end of the world.

Well I truely hope we never find out.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 2:28:34 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well I truely hope we never find out.

From your lips to God's ear.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 2:39:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 2:45:41 PM EDT
[#31]
If film noire is any guide, with plenty of trench coats and Webley Forsters.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 3:08:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Depressions only happen on Republican's watch - the Democrats are in charge of both houses and the presidency so there will be ZERO talk about about a depression.

Yep, they'll delay it another three years with BS politics and economic gaming by the Fed.  It has to come down soon.  The debt to ANYTHING ratios are well beyond anything that may have contributed the the 1920's and 1930's.  They will call the recession over amid a massive forclosure wave in prime mortgages, Option ARM mortgages and commercial real estate and with a consumer that has no credit, no cash and lucky to have a job.  It is simply a ploy to say this recession is over.  The "next" recession will start within a year or two and will be more painful than this one.

Obama's starting a trade war with China, imposing tariffs on their procucts, just lke the Smoot-Hawley Tarriff Act act in 1930.  Thes F-ing politicians never learn.  And I quote:

Unemployment was at 7.8% in 1930 when the Smoot-Hawley tariff was passed, but it jumped to 16.3% in 1931, 24.9% in 1932, and 25.1% in 1933.

Where is Obama headed right now?  We're at 9.7% on the start of this trade war.  Where do we end?  25%?  30%??  Like I said, these F-ing idiots never learn.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 3:26:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Id like to say, if we dont see the GDP grow, which if we do its bullshit, and the real unemployment numbers. We are already in a "Depression" It took what a year or two for anyone to admit we were in a recession?
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 3:37:21 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Have cash...

The GD was deflationary...

The price of everything falls through the floor, because no one has cash or credit to buy it with....

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 4:23:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Go here:  

http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=10&f=17

We have all the secrets.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:27:14 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, lets see here.

Fresh water

Gold was useful/vital during the Weimar monetary collapse, the Great Depression, the Argentina monetary collapse, and the Zimbabwe collaspse. It will be used as money, barter and a store of wealth for centuries to come, weather you realize this or not.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:28:49 AM EDT
[#37]
Lots of land and water
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:02:22 PM EDT
[#38]
I see alot of people saying that one should buy guns. Yet those guns are likely going to be sold at a loss to a pawnshop if one does not have an income.

The question is how to get through a depression, not a gunfight.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:07:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Uhhh...ammo would be a good idea, too.

HH
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:09:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Dry goods, guns, gold, and ammo
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:14:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Quoted:

While I think stockpiling is a great idea, I'll be honest... I've been hearing this since the 1970's.

Me too. I really don't think anything can happen any longer. Decade after decade nothing happends......I'm ready though if it does happen.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:45:57 PM EDT
[#42]
OUR MOTTO:

APOCALYPSE NOW
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 6:15:32 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I see alot of people saying that one should buy guns. Yet those guns are likely going to be sold at a loss to a pawnshop if one does not have an income.

Agreed. Many are having trouble grasping this concept.
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 6:16:24 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Uhhh...ammo would be a good idea, too.

HH

Link Posted: 9/21/2009 6:31:48 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Agreed. Many are having trouble grasping this concept.

All Rambo, no Ramen.  

Link Posted: 9/21/2009 7:26:35 AM EDT
[#46]
own a piece of property outright.  what good is a metric ton of dried beans and 100 AR15s if you get kicked out of your house for non payment after losing your job?
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 7:30:04 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Depressions only happen on Republican's watch - the Democrats are in charge of both houses and the presidency so there will be ZERO talk about about a depression.

Yep, they'll delay it another three years with BS politics and economic gaming by the Fed.  It has to come down soon.  The debt to ANYTHING ratios are well beyond anything that may have contributed the the 1920's and 1930's.  They will call the recession over amid a massive forclosure wave in prime mortgages, Option ARM mortgages and commercial real estate and with a consumer that has no credit, no cash and lucky to have a job.  It is simply a ploy to say this recession is over.  The "next" recession will start within a year or two and will be more painful than this one.

Obama's starting a trade war with China, imposing tariffs on their procucts, just lke the Smoot-Hawley Tarriff Act act in 1930.  Thes F-ing politicians never learn.  And I quote:

Unemployment was at 7.8% in 1930 when the Smoot-Hawley tariff was passed, but it jumped to 16.3% in 1931, 24.9% in 1932, and 25.1% in 1933.

Where is Obama headed right now?  We're at 9.7% on the start of this trade war.  Where do we end?  25%?  30%??  Like I said, these F-ing idiots never learn.

No they learn REALLY well, if this is what they WANT TO HAPPEN.

Link Posted: 9/21/2009 7:39:57 AM EDT
[#48]
I'm not 100% sure but I sure have been reading the SF forum quite a bit lately and am soon to begin prepping, winter is coming and it's probably going to be a bad one so preps will help when power goes out, etc...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top